Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2005, 11:22 am

This is a story that has no real point or merit. Read at your own risk.

Last year something happened to me. It was Christmas time and for some reason I wanted a tree to officially commemorate the occassion. I was in a jubilant mood and wanted to express it to the world in tree-form. I have lived with grandmother for the past four years and we had not had one prior to that. It was the week before the 'big day' and I was scouring the shops, searching for this one perfect vision of the holiday season. But nothing seemed to fit the bill. Exhausted from the failed search, I returned home ashamed. Waiting for me on the coffee table was an as yet unopened plastic tree and a whole heap of plastic ornaments that looked as if they had been hiding in the back of a closet for a decade. My grandmother had purchased a tree herself out of pure coincidence. Eager, I set to unpacking the tree, extending all the branches and going through the ornaments and placing them in a unique pattern. Finally, the lights. Voila. It was a masterpiece in both our eyes. The first time I had ever put together such a thing. Mum had always done it when we were children and rarely liked when we helped her with it. There seems to be a lot of unwritten rules when it comes to tree decorations.

Christmas Day rolls around. People were commenting on the tree and how ugly it looked. I looked at it and it was beautiful. They saw something put together by a monkey. Despite this, it stayed up for almost a week or two afterwards.

Flash forward a year till yesterday. I haven't really thought that much about Christmas this year. I only started buying presents two days ago. Last year I had bought such thoughtful and insightful gifts, each one reflecting the recipient. This year it was if I had no inspiration. Finally, after multiple outings, I have acquired all but one of the presents needed but have still to wrap them up.

So anyways, yesterday. Yesterday my grandmother says that there are no Christmas lights up in the neighbourhood. Last year there were at least six houses on our little street that had them. Now nothing. During the conversation, she raises the issue of the tree itself. I hadn't even thought about it. I've been doing nothing really and yet I hadn't the time to think about Christmas. So any way, the conversation ends. I'm on my computer looking at a very addictive website which I won't mention on here and I hear noise coming from outside. On the front porch is the christmas tree from last year which she had pulled out. She said she pulled it out for us to put up. It was already half decorated. She said she really didn't want to do it and I could do it if I wanted to. I said I'd do it in the afternoon. About half an hour later (not yet in the afternoon), I hear some crashing noises. The tree is fully decorated and she's lifting it up onto the side table. I pick it up and place it on there. Looking at it briefly, I smile then burst out laughing. It felt horrible doing it but it was uncontrollable. I don't think she understood why I was doing it. I don't know why either. It just had a very reactive effect on me. Maybe everybody was right last year when they said it looked 'deformed'.

Any ways, she asked me to put the lights on there which I did. I turned them on. I laughed again. This is a messed up Christmas story with no climax or moral. Make of it what you will.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2005, 8:05 pm

I guess the Aspie fashion blindness extends to trees, eh?

Liorda
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Dec 2005, 8:39 pm

I think it was a very informative story. I liked it. I do think it's fashion blindness for Christmas trees. :roll:

I don't like putting a tree up or any decorations, the lights are pretty but sometimes I get dizzy looking at them. 8O Some years I do, some I don't, depends on my mood. This is a no tree year. Hubby doesn't mind, he says no tree is less work for him. :lol:

CRACK
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2005, 9:28 pm

During breakfast this morning, my parents had bought to my attention the existence of a type of plastic tree that even has all the decorations already set up on it. Not sure how its packed/delivered, though. But I'd gladly settle for something like that :P :D

Elk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Dec 2005, 12:13 am

mjs82 wrote:

Last year something happened to me. It was Christmas time and for some reason I wanted a tree to officially commemorate the occassion. I was in a jubilant mood and wanted to express it to the world in tree-form. I have lived with grandmother for the past four years and we had not had one prior to that. It was the week before the 'big day' and I was scouring the shops, searching for this one perfect vision of the holiday season. But nothing seemed to fit the bill. Exhausted from the failed search, I returned home ashamed. Waiting for me on the coffee table was an as yet unopened plastic tree and a whole heap of plastic ornaments that looked as if they had been hiding in the back of a closet for a decade. My grandmother had purchased a tree herself out of pure coincidence. Eager, I set to unpacking the tree, extending all the branches and going through the ornaments and placing them in a unique pattern. Finally, the lights. Voila. It was a masterpiece in both our eyes. The first time I had ever put together such a thing. Mum had always done it when we were children and rarely liked when we helped her with it. There seems to be a lot of unwritten rules when it comes to tree decorations.

Christmas Day rolls around. People were commenting on the tree and how ugly it looked. I looked at it and it was beautiful. They saw something put together by a monkey. Despite this, it stayed up for almost a week or two afterwards.

Flash forward a year till yesterday. I haven't really thought that much about Christmas this year. I only started buying presents two days ago. Last year I had bought such thoughtful and insightful gifts, each one reflecting the recipient. This year it was if I had no inspiration. Finally, after multiple outings, I have acquired all but one of the presents needed but have still to wrap them up.

So anyways, yesterday. Yesterday my grandmother says that there are no Christmas lights up in the neighbourhood. Last year there were at least six houses on our little street that had them. Now nothing. During the conversation, she raises the issue of the tree itself. I hadn't even thought about it. I've been doing nothing really and yet I hadn't the time to think about Christmas. So any way, the conversation ends. I'm on my computer looking at a very addictive website which I won't mention on here and I hear noise coming from outside. On the front porch is the christmas tree from last year which she had pulled out. She said she pulled it out for us to put up. It was already half decorated. She said she really didn't want to do it and I could do it if I wanted to. I said I'd do it in the afternoon. About half an hour later (not yet in the afternoon), I hear some crashing noises. The tree is fully decorated and she's lifting it up onto the side table. I pick it up and place it on there. Looking at it briefly, I smile then burst out laughing. It felt horrible doing it but it was uncontrollable. I don't think she understood why I was doing it. I don't know why either. It just had a very reactive effect on me. Maybe everybody was right last year when they said it looked 'deformed'.

Any ways, she asked me to put the lights on there which I did. I turned them on. I laughed again. This is a messed up Christmas story with no climax or moral. Make of it what you will.
whatever the f**k your tree was about it should not be this complicated. goddamn girl its just a tree with decorations on it understand?

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2005, 3:22 am

Elk wrote:
mjs82 wrote:

MY TREE MONOLOGUE

This is a messed up Christmas story with no climax or moral. Make of it what you will.
whatever the f*** your tree was about it should not be this complicated. goddamn girl its just a tree with decorations on it understand?

I specifically included warnings because I expected someone would reply like that.
This story was 'just a bunch of stuff that happen'.
That's all.

CDRhom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2005, 7:50 pm

My tree speaks for itsself this year: