Anyone have SYNAESTHESIA or ALICE IN WONDERLAND SYNDROME?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

FD
Raven
Raven

04 Mar 2009, 6:03 am

I have a dx son who is 4yrs with PDD-NOS/ AS. My husband has Synaesthesia where he sees letters with personalities, and days of the week have colours. His NT daughter (16yrs) from another relationship also sees days of the week in different colours!! ! They both also have Alice in Wonderland Syndrome.

Are these things common with a family history of Autism/AS? My husband has alot of austic traits but has been assessed and does not meet the criteria for AS.

Our NT 7yr old boy when he hears a particular sound (Aeroboard, or rice cakes!!) he gets a sharp pain in his nose!! I guess this is also Synaesthesia.

There is a family history of epilepsy on my husbands side (no one in our family has it, that we know of), which I believe can be related to Alice in Wonderland Syndrome.

Id love to hear any similar stories.

Thanks x

gary1984
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Mar 2009, 6:31 am

yeah! :)

since I was as young as I can possibly remember, I've had a very strong connection to the color BLUE!

I see names and words in color, as I do the days of the week. Blue is very important to me.

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 7:23 am

Hey! I also see days in color lol, sunday is for example ALWAYS yellow (guess why >.<) now i'm learning japanese and i often see the japanese character too now when i think of a day. I also think of images what the day represent like thurseday (which is "donderdag" in dutch, means something like "thunder" with "day" behind it) so i always think about a lightning flash with a black background (a very little blueish-black) background, something like the color of the sky at night. As for the diagnose, it isn't always right. Lots of people see doctors with different diagnoses. Autism is very very complex so its hard to say if you have it or not, ask him if he had unexplainable situations in he's life or alot of depression. Having more then one handicap is possible, appears to be a common thing for people who are autistic (lots of people have adhd or other stuff same with there autism) Anyway, i speak out of experience, ask him if he had any depressions at kid or even a little socialy awkwardness. If he's family history is autistic then the chance he is is big. (Another good tip is ask him if he fantasised alot as a kid and thinks mostly in pictures that would explain alot!)

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 11:58 am

I may have mild synaesthesia (associated type) but I'm not sure if it is true synaesthesia or not.

UndercoverAlien wrote:
Hey! I also see days in color lol, sunday is for example ALWAYS yellow (guess why >.<) now i'm learning japanese and i often see the japanese character too now when i think of a day. I also think of images what the day represent like thurseday (which is "donderdag" in dutch, means something like "thunder" with "day" behind it) so i always think about a lightning flash with a black background (a very little blueish-black) background, something like the color of the sky at night.

That is not true synaesthesia - those are associations.

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 1:20 pm

Sorry, this may be OT of OP, but...

Quote:
Our NT 7yr old boy when he hears a particular sound (Aeroboard, or rice cakes!!) he gets a sharp pain in his nose!! I guess this is also Synaesthesia.
This sounds to me like the fingernails-chalkboard-teeth-pain phenomenon, just unusually misdirected association with the nose. The phenomenon of pain sounds is so universal that it has been proven to scare away sharks; it is a reflex interpretation of the sound, compensating for lack of ordinary pain sense in the surface of teeth when they may be suffering abrasive damage.

edit:more OT... Alice in wonderland syndrome is, as I understand it, inconsistent perception of the relative sizes of things... It can be absolutely confusing, disturbing, and disorienting, especially if other metric senses also rapidly and extremely fluctuate or fail to provide meaningful data. (I'm actually briefly describing an extreme panic attack experience.)

Last edited by ValMikeSmith on 04 Mar 2009, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 2:12 pm

I sometimes experience Alice in Wonderland Syndrome, but no synaesthesia (only mild associations/associations are purely in my mind). No epilepsy or migraines either and none of this running in my family. I'm the only person with a atypical neurology too, so I assume all of it may be linked somehow.

FD
Raven
Raven

06 Mar 2009, 8:41 am

Thanks guys for your replies. I knew someone out there would have similar experiences.

I spoke to different psychiatrists/ psychologists along the path of my sons diagnosis about these strange 'experiences' my husband has, although not so much any more. But no one had any idea what it was. It was just through my own research on the web that I discovered Alice in Wonderland Syndrome. It is exactly what he and his daughter experience.

He has the thing where, his hand for example is HUGE and everything else around is tiny, its always distortion in size of things or time going really slowly or quickly. His daughter experiences things with speed, like things whizing by really fast, and at the same time her body moving in slow motion.

It all only last maybe a minute, and no reason as to when or why it happens.

Weird Hey???! !!

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 9:15 am

I do experience some synaesthesia.
sound-color is a very strong one.
sound/number/word personification is another... attributing personalities and emotions to the sensory stimuli. this stuff is inherent. automatic. leaves very little room for mental interpretation/association.

It seems to me there is a higher prevalence of synaesthesia among people on the spectrum.

For a related synaesthesia activity, please see my recent post in the "Off the Wall" forum here:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt92991.html

Xanovaria
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Mar 2009, 9:31 am

Spatial synaesthesia and sound-color here.

audioeyes
Toucan
Toucan

06 Mar 2009, 9:47 am

I have Synaesthesia - and I consider it a gift and would not want to be without it. I am a musician and it is ironic that I should have colour-sound Synaesthesia. I see colours and shapes when listening to music.

Kajjie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Mar 2009, 12:46 pm

FD wrote:
Thanks guys for your replies. I knew someone out there would have similar experiences.

I spoke to different psychiatrists/ psychologists along the path of my sons diagnosis about these strange 'experiences' my husband has, although not so much any more. But no one had any idea what it was. It was just through my own research on the web that I discovered Alice in Wonderland Syndrome. It is exactly what he and his daughter experience.

He has the thing where, his hand for example is HUGE and everything else around is tiny, its always distortion in size of things or time going really slowly or quickly. His daughter experiences things with speed, like things whizing by really fast, and at the same time her body moving in slow motion.

It all only last maybe a minute, and no reason as to when or why it happens.

Weird Hey???! !!

I've had things like that. When I was younger, I ocassionally had the feeling that everything was going faster or slower than usual. It would last a few minutes. Also, when I'm not quite awake I will get feelings like my arms and legs are really long or that my hands are huge.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 12:49 pm

When it comes to shapes, I greatly prefer them to be certain colors, but I don't always see them that way. Here's how it's been with me since pre-school:

Circle: Yellow
Diamond: Purple
Heart: Pink
Oval: Peach
Rectangle: Orange
Square: Red
Star: Blue
Triange: Green

Those are the only ones I do that with.