Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 10:29 pm

But besides having autism, I also have stress and anxiety issues, too. Actually, I've been having for some time, but not as seriously like this (and last) year. If anyone asks, I'm guessing my recent "peer pressures" to like, do, and own stuff like everyone else has caused me to act that way, so does anyone here have any advice on how to cope or control it?

04 Mar 2009, 10:40 pm

When something is too stressful for me and it causes me anxiety, I run from the situation that is causing it.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 10:44 pm

Yeah I have anxiety and a marjor depression disorder along with seizures.

Sometimes I can't help but wonder if maybe those factors can go hand in hand with ASD related issues.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 10:46 pm

don;t worry too much - they are fairly standard co-morbids for someone with an ASD.
try to get more relaxation time and more quiet time in your day. rest after mixing with people. have a lie down when you need it.
and a bit of exercise works well too, as does healthy eating.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 10:59 pm

I have anxiety and depression, too.
the depression takes the form of suicidal ideology, and frankly, that sucks.

I can be anywhere, anytime and all of a sudden I dispair of life and my mind gets crowded with thoughts and my heart is choked with feelings from my past

I keep active and try to have a good attitude. I eat right and exercise. I mod on WP.

Merle

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 5:56 am

Breathing exercises can help, if you remember when to do them.

I was sceptical at first, but they can help focus you on the present and your current location, as opposed to worrying about events/situations elsewhere.

The one I was taught involves shutting your eyes, breathing in deeply and feeling the breath all the way to the lungs, then back out again (repeat sloooowly for 2 mins) then saying or thinking a phrase such as 'a new beginning' on each in-breath and 'letting go' on the out-breath

Then you look around you and try to describe where you are in as much detail as possible.

The idea is that you're now more 'grounded'.

It works a bit, I find.

Whimsi-Cal
Raven
Raven

05 Mar 2009, 6:56 am

roygerdodger wrote:
But besides having autism, I also have stress and anxiety issues, too. Actually, I've been having for some time, but not as seriously like this (and last) year. If anyone asks, I'm guessing my recent "peer pressures" to like, do, and own stuff like everyone else has caused me to act that way, so does anyone here have any advice on how to cope or control it?

In addition to AS I have depression, anxiety, and ADHD.

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 7:07 am

Mmmm STRESS ..............CORTISOL!! Check it out. And then check out the control studies in autistics!!

HPA AXIS, ALLOSTATIC LOADS, ADRENALIN AND CORTISOL.............................that is why we feel anxious and depressed! Well in my opinion :D

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 7:12 am

stress and anxiety are pretty normal by-products of autism. when i was younger and more oblivious i didn't really experience them as much as i did after i got a bit more clued in socially and more aware of how different i was.

a lot of nt's are highly stressed as well, it's sort of 'normal' life for people in big cities.

different things work for different people so it's hard to recommend any one thing, some people use drugs, legal or illegal, some people use exercise/sport, some go for the spiritual stuff, it's up to you.

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 7:54 am

PHOSPHATIDYL SERINE is brilliant, takes away stress and anxiety in 20minutes HONESTLY and relieves depression just as quick.

Check out the past threads, I am a HUGE fan of this and it is SOOO INSTANT. Never known it fail yet!! Good luck :D

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 8:02 am

roygerdodger wrote:
I'm guessing my recent "peer pressures" to like, do, and own stuff like everyone else has caused me to act that way, so does anyone here have any advice on how to cope or control it?

One of the most important thinks you had to learn is to resist "peer pressure". There are few situations, especially when it comes to keep a job, when you need to follow the flog, but in the most cases you can ignore your peers safely.

Just don't care about your peers. According to your profile you are just 17, the people you know now (I assume in school) will be most likely for the rest of your live of no importance at all. It is randomly selected group and you have no reason to follow their ideas what to do.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 8:09 am

Postperson wrote:
different things work for different people so it's hard to recommend any one thing, some people use drugs, legal or illegal, some people use exercise/sport, some go for the spiritual stuff, it's up to you.

I think by fare the best is to analyse the situation very cold-blooded and see what really causes the stress, how important this really is and make adjustments.

I would see drugs, legal and illegal, only as a very last resort in this respect.

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 10:49 am

Stress is due to heavy hits of cortisol often. Cortisol damages the hippocampus and gives memory problems too.

Phosphatidyl Serine is PERFECTLY SAFE, NATURAL AND SOMETHING YOUR BODY HAS ANYWAY! Similar to the Omega's it is available from health shops and the internet. It is a non essential amino acid. Check it out, apart from those with coagulation problems or taking Warfarin it appears totally safe; lots of academic papers to show it. Try sourcing Prof Tom de Koning Utrecht University, he has done some empirical research and academic papers to show this. There is a Serine deficiency foundation, 3000 academic papers growing in numbers by the month and there are clinical trials for its use in ADHD in children in Israel. Just remember you heard it here first!!

I would never TELL anyone to take anything especially a child without getting tested although I have known many just wing it!! But the test to have is a FULL AMINO ACID PROFILE. Hope that helps, anyone needing any other info on Allostatic loads, HPA etc do let me know. The subject of stress is a minefield! Honestly!!