Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

matsuiny2004
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 4:18 pm

I havejust decided that I am not sure of my diagnosis any more. I did test as NVLD, but I talked to my psychologist and it he went through the DSM for aspergers and tried to match me up. I was pretty close although in some I do not htink I had enough. I do not htink I am ADD either. I am so confused :?

surveys are scientific, they have numbers in them- me (satire)

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 5:45 pm

There are so many varieties of human, and some don't label easily. Don't worry about it unless you need a label to get benefits.

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Mar 2009, 6:09 pm

I wouldn't worry about it.

I know some woman who matches up very well with the autistic profile, yet because she functions well, and has no problems in society, she doesn't think she has it. Even though she has consistently personified emotions (synaesthesia), stereotyped reading at a young age (that means A LOT of it), stereotyped high IQ, stereotyped ability with math, stims (I've never caught it though, but from what she has told me, there is a little bit), accidentally mimics accents, read about social cues, gestures, eye contact to understand it (more logical application), occasionally fails to express some emotions, occasionally fails to recognize obvious humor, is exhausted by social activities and wants isolation afterwards, is known to be brutally honest, has attention problems (she recorded college classes to make up for it), and more!

Despite all of that though, it doesn't matter what her label is unless she needed specific help where a label is needed. She doesn't have an problems, so she doesn't even believe she is autistic, even though so many symptoms match up.

This post in short: labels don't matter, addressing the symptoms is what matters most.

misslottie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Mar 2009, 6:29 pm

matsuiny2004- was the psychologist an expert in autism? if they have to go through the DSM to see whether you have something, i am not filled with confidence in them. tehya re all conditions which require a great deal of understanding- best got from experiance with asd epople, not some stupid book.
you are more likely to be an expert than them. though of course if you DO have a.s, you might not even recognise a lot of traits in your self, since poor comprehension is part of it.
reading comments from otehr people with as and nvld will give you a better idea.
also- a need to know definatly one way or the other- very aspie.
there are a lot of tests for a.s- how have you scored on those???

Fo-Rum- that is a really spooky description- some of it is exactly like me, though im alsmot illerate numerically. and i dont function well. otherwise- its me....

i didnt know accicental copying of acents was related to a.s- is it??? i hvae done this for years, causing much embaressment... is it common? i hvae never heard it mentioned elsewhere.

but i dont agree that labels are unimportant- ifa particular symptom is predominant and more common in A catagory,a nd rarer in B- having diagnosis B not A will be less helpful, since therapists are more likely to overlook taht symnptom and concentrate on other aspects, esp if they are unused to it.
i think its crucial to get a correct diagnosis- it'd just bug me insane for no other reason tahn i like things to be correct!

toliman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Mar 2009, 8:50 pm

initially, from the heading i was going to say,

buy a magic 8 ball,

they're great for affirming what you want to do. not so much for making decisions, but it's often better than nothing.

after reading the thread, im just leaving it in for the sake of it.

as for the post-diagnosis dilemma, i'm about to face up to the big bad myself, i don't quite know how i'm going to score against the criteria of things like the baron-cohen eq/sq tests (though i have done these) or the dsm related criteria myself, but from the remedial asperger's info-drama packets in waiting rooms (IS YOUR CHILD AT RISK!) and disability services pamphlets, it doesn't seem to bring any kind of recognition beyond the label for most people, though i am probably going to be the last person to notice any significance. the books however, they're a different story.

as for the descrip, it sounds like a lot of people here. including myself.

i have tried to record classes, but for the oddest reasons to postgrad education, everything is on powerpoint presentations that they print out the whole year in advance, and hand it out to the students at the beginning of the semester. genuinely not helpful for paying attention or remembering the lectures, you just end up not wanting to be there after 2 minutes.

as for recognising/describing common symptoms, i usually recognise if i'm not doing something to 'fit in', and try to kick start a conversation, which feels very deliberate and artificial sometimes, especially with confidence gestures, nods, or small talk about tv shows or news that's tangential to a similar topic. though, again, comprehension/response is hard to gauge sometimes, so it could just be me being annoying.

perhaps i do have some anxiety over the diagnosis, most of it is around the costs and effort and ensuing results, but it would keep my sister off my back, which is a positive thing, my parents and uncle/aunts would be bemused/concerned/guarded, accepting, and the friends i do have would be either perplexed or within minutes, doing the requisite google search for what aspergers is. so on that scale of reference, i don't mind having the label, i can't imagine it being limiting.

PhaethonH
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Mar 2009, 8:53 pm

Fo-Rum wrote:
This post in short: labels don't matter, addressing the symptoms is what matters most.

I have to agree with Fo-Rum here. I don't know where on the spectrum I am, or even if I'm on it. But because of WrongPlanet, what I do know are that (a) I am not alone in the problems I deal with, (b) the problems are handleable (learning from others' experiences). As my situation stands right now, the labels act as "navigation points" for me: poles in the ground, lighthouses, marks on the street, stars in the sky... reference points that guide me in evaluating who I am, what I've done, where I am, what I can do, what I can be. Also in highlighting what I can't do and what is futile -- e.g. gate-crashing a huge party to meet new people will horribly back-fire for me.

But, yeah, fitting to a label doesn't matter much; I'd label myself as "maybe AS, maybe not, but there's enough overlap that I can learn about myself from other aspies". Part of the reason I don't go in for an official diagnosis is that, diagnosed or not, I'd still be saddled with the same set of problems as before, minus whatever money spent being told I have problems instead of actually working on the problems.

toliman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Mar 2009, 9:02 pm

PhaethonH wrote:
Part of the reason I don't go in for an official diagnosis is that, diagnosed or not, I'd still be saddled with the same set of problems as before, minus whatever money spent being told I have problems instead of actually working on the problems.

the psychologist i went to for my initial diag. suggested it would be easier to attend group sessions. which sounds ok, i still figure in the cost of doing that are going to be higher than doing nothing. that initial session completely redefined the concept of AS for me, so i figure its worth my time to see what the 'human' quotient of AS is, rather than the 'psych' quotient of describing symptoms and behaviours against proscribed models.

but, initially, it was more or less the same feeling/impression i get from going to a bar, spending a silly amount of money, while sitting around listening to people talk. except with proscribed literature to guild the conversation, and less country music/cigarettes/beer/women. reverse that order if appropriate for you.

matsuiny2004
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 11:22 pm

misslottie wrote:
matsuiny2004- was the psychologist an expert in autism? if they have to go through the DSM to see whether you have something, i am not filled with confidence in them. tehya re all conditions which require a great deal of understanding- best got from experiance with asd epople, not some stupid book.
you are more likely to be an expert than them. though of course if you DO have a.s, you might not even recognise a lot of traits in your self, since poor comprehension is part of it.
reading comments from otehr people with as and nvld will give you a better idea.
also- a need to know definatly one way or the other- very aspie.
there are a lot of tests for a.s- how have you scored on those???

Fo-Rum- that is a really spooky description- some of it is exactly like me, though im alsmot illerate numerically. and i dont function well. otherwise- its me....

i didnt know accicental copying of acents was related to a.s- is it??? i hvae done this for years, causing much embaressment... is it common? i hvae never heard it mentioned elsewhere.

but i dont agree that labels are unimportant- ifa particular symptom is predominant and more common in A catagory,a nd rarer in B- having diagnosis B not A will be less helpful, since therapists are more likely to overlook taht symnptom and concentrate on other aspects, esp if they are unused to it.
i think its crucial to get a correct diagnosis- it'd just bug me insane for no other reason tahn i like things to be correct!

I just don't think I know anymore. The psychologist is not a professional in autism, but he has worked with me for a while.

surveys are scientific, they have numbers in them- me (satire)