Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

schooling?
I am in a special education class. 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
I am in mainstream classes but with an aide. 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
I am in mainstream classes but with accomodations (no timed-tests, etc) 21%  21%  [ 8 ]
I attend a class or school specifically for those with autism. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
I attend mainstream classes with no accomodations or services, and do not need them. 29%  29%  [ 11 ]
I attend mainstream classes with no accomodations or services, but I need them and can't receive them. 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
I am homeschooled. 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Other (please specify) 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 38

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 4:11 pm

don't really know how to explain it, just wondering how you guys would answer the poll, specifically at highschool age or if younger where you are at now.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 4:19 pm

It would depend on what year it was for me. I was mainstreamed both with and without modifications and I've also been homeschooled. And when I was younger, I also went to a regular special ed class, along with being mainstreamed.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 4:28 pm

I used to be a special ed teacher, and I can tell you that mainstreaming is a bad idea. Autistic kids get so overwhelmed with the socialization, noise, etc. that it is difficult to concentrate on schoolwork. One student I had just zoned out all the time to cope with it. Unfortunately, this is being done more and more these days, because it saves the school system money.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

MegaAndy
Toucan
Toucan

10 Mar 2009, 4:56 pm

i get something like 15% longer in exams not that i need it anymore i no longer do the subjects i needed the extra time in, but they make u stay :?

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 5:18 pm

Am went to special school [EBDxLD] after primary,and had own support in class,there were a lot of classes but each class only had a few students,was expelled at fifteen and no one ever got back to mum and dad about finding another school even though its illegal to be out of education before sixteen/after sixteen,couldn't have cared less as hated school.

home ed. with private tutors is supposed to be very good for autists,think private tutors can be funded [sure have read that somewhere].

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

10 Mar 2009, 5:26 pm

I went to a normal school mainstreaming special ed and getting extra help with my school work and having things modified.

theQuail
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Mar 2009, 5:38 pm

I'm just a regular mainstream high school student with no accommodations. It is a lot to deal with sometimes, but I usually do fine. I could be said to receive a few informal accommodations, though. For example, I eat lunch in an empty classroom instead of the cafeteria. (My school is huge, and the cafeteria, while not quite hell, is close enough.)

ddrfr33k
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Mar 2009, 5:47 pm

Well, being a college grad puts me at least a little out of my league, but I'll share my experiences.

I was originally diagnosed ADHD in 1991(first grade), and worked with the Special Ed department in my school, though most of my time was in the normal classrooms. I wasn't diagnosed with AS until 1997, when I was partway through 5th grade. Through middle school, I had increasing accommodations to try and keep me in the normal classroom, but most of it was for naught. I still didn't pay attention, I didn't enjoy school (being low man on the totem pole will do this) and wanted to get away. I wound up transferring to a small private high school that had no Spec. Ed. department to speak of. My parents basically told me to get my rear in gear or I'd go back to the public system. Frankly, I dreaded the latter. I went through most of high school and college with no assistance/accommodations. So you could sort of say I've been in multiple settings.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Mar 2009, 5:47 pm

First, you must realize that I was in school in the 1970s-early 1980s (Asperger's was not part of the American vocabulary then). I was labelled as gifted during my junior year in high school (the only grade level that we could participate in a gifted program). I have since learned that by the modern definition of academically gifted---I was not gifted. I was/am however considered musically gifted (though I see it as more of a savant-like skill). I maintained an A-B average throughout school (college prep program in high school). I graduated with honors in college (majored in English and secondary education). I can now see some areas in school that I could have probably received some help with, but overall, I found school easy---though socially, it was not easy.

In answer to the survey, I checked that I was mainstreamed with no accommodations. And I guess I didn't need accommodations. Though if I were in elementary school today, I believe I would be in a speech class.

Last edited by glider18 on 10 Mar 2009, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elfnote
Raven
Raven

10 Mar 2009, 5:48 pm

I go to a charter school, which is like homeschooling, but you still go in for class to turn in your completed work and to get new work, and you don't have to deal with your parents as much. Back when I was in a normal school, I had a modified PE course but other than that, I was taking normal classes

Poeticromance
Toucan
Toucan

10 Mar 2009, 6:11 pm

I was in speical education till I was a shopmore. Shopmore, I was in two speical education classes. Den junior and senior year I was in mainstream wif extra time on tests and academic support. Dee school work is easy. I could be in college prep but they didn't know till I became a senior and didn't see a point.

Socializing on dee other hand is worse than ever. In speical ed, I would eventually talk because their wud only be 5-10 people in dee room. Now I have 15-25 kids in my room. So, unless I know dee person or dey talk to me first, I don't open my mouth.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 6:25 pm

I've always been mainstreamed. I never got accommodations until I got to college. I put down that I get accommodations, but really, I only need them for a few specific courses, all of which require math. I have NVLD, and visual-spatial skills and math are not my strong suit. So, I need extra time on tests with that type of information. I got time-and-a-half for calculus and statistics exams here at my college, and I also got extended time on the GREs.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 6:51 pm

Too bad there is not an all of the above choice because I was in all of the situations at one time or another during my school career.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 7:09 pm

I am out of school, but I have been in remedial classes. They never really improved my learning a lot. Some of the naughty kids were in there and we would just talk to each other because the teacher taught us at a really slow pace, and it was stuff we already knew about.
Once my whole year 7 class was taught the alphabet - I mean wtf? My parents paid 4 grand a year for that?

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 10:00 pm

I was always in mainstream classes (usually the advanced classes) with no accommodations needed. Academic ability is one of my strengths.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 10:38 pm

I was either home-schooled or in private schools. I've only been in a traditional classroom for a total of two and a half years; the rest was all individualized education, much of it independent learning, without tutors. This suited my learning style very well, since I learn best from written material and have some problems picking out speech from background noise. Frankly, I don't think most of my teachers knew what to do with me. You don't meet a kid with the academic abilities of somebody five years older and the social and emotional skills of a toddler every day.

Currently I'm in college, receiving some minor accommodations--mostly in the area of testing, with a distraction-free room and extra time. I'm also allowed to use an empty testing room to be alone and recover if I'm about to have a meltdown when I'm on campus, and I've had disability assistance people intercede with my profs on my behalf a couple of times, mostly when we weren't communicating efficiently and I ended up lost as to what I was supposed to be doing.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com