xCycles of Depression vs. hope & Memory loss. Is this

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

WanderMan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Mar 2009, 11:24 pm

I seem to go through periods of about 2 to 3 months in which I gradually get more and more depressed, feel hopeless and pathetic and stop caring about everything. I mean REALLY depressed, I’ll obsessively envision killing myself and often lie around without leaving the house, I’ll just leach off my parents and not even try to get a job. And I’m 24 so I do not consider that in anyway acceptable. But it’s like any motivation or ability to care about myself just drains out.

Then I’ll go through 2 or 3 months of doing pretty well, take positive steps to improve my life, feel like I have a plan and I know where I’m going. I improve, excercise, make friends, go out...

… Then like clockwork a few months later my entire; personality collapses again and feel I lose all the progress I made.

When I “collapse” it’s also not just emotional, my actual memories and the things and I learned in my “up” time seems to fade away. I do not trust my memory because there seem to be these holes in it; it’s like every few months my brain hits the “reset” button and I lose at least some of the data. I seem to be relearninn the same lessons over and over because I cannot hold onto them in my memory. I am stuck in a loop.

Could this be an Asperger's thing?

FrogGirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Mar 2009, 11:53 pm

kind of sounds like my life lately. I am fine for awhile, optimistic, happy, organizing things in my life, then it hits. My memory drops down to 2 seconds, literally. I feel oblivious to everything. Can't remember anything long enought to follow through on anything(even house work, talking to someone, etc. I feel so unmotivated, and have absoultely NO energy(emotional or physical). Alot of cognitive things are effected too. I can't remember simple words while trying to talk to someone. Many times, I can't even finish a statement becasue I can't remember a simple everyday word, and I come across as a mumbling idiot saying things that make no sence (kind of like aphasia) Then after about a few months, things start to look up again. For me, it seems to be seasonal. September/October, I start to slip(my son, 8, aspergers, slips in Decembers) Its been this way as long as I can remember. Then around February/March, things start to get better for me. My son seems to pull out of the regressions much quicker than I do. He usually gets back to "normal" within a couple months in stead of half a year.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 3:22 am

This happens to me too. It's a relief to know it's not just me - my memory is apalling, to the stage where I seriously wondered if I had early Alzheimers. I thought good memory went with AS (or maybe that's a myth) perhaps it's the change in brain chemicals that cause depression that affect memory too, although mine doesn't improve very much when I'm not depressed. I have to write lists of everything that I've got to do etc and old memories are lost - I think I remember something from years ago then I'll talk to my sister or brothers and they'll say I remembered an event wrongly so I can't really trust my memories.

Have you tried using a lightbox? I've had one for a few years and it definitely helps with depression caused by lack of light in the winter (hasn't helped much with the memory though)

ghostpawn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Mar 2009, 5:41 am

I don't think it's an AS thing, it sounds more like a mood disorder.

I think I saw something like this on wikipedia... like maybe cyclothymia or seasonal affective disorder or something like that.

Sublyme
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Mar 2009, 3:25 pm

ghostpawn wrote:
I don't think it's an AS thing, it sounds more like a mood disorder.

I think I saw something like this on wikipedia... like maybe cyclothymia or seasonal affective disorder or something like that.

Could be something like cyclothymia, also known as "soft bipolar disorder."

I cycle in a similar way only a bit more extreme. I experience depression starting in August (still agitated from the summer mania), more stable in September, then I slip into a typical depression with anhedonia, apathy, and hypersomnia, until the beginning of December (I pretty much sleep through it). Around early to mid-January I feel like you described. I feel more energetic, I cook more, I exercise, I go out more, I socialize, I go shopping, I wear makeup. Then in February I start to experience symptoms of mania. I get way less sleep and I don't feel tired. My thoughts diverge into multiple trains of thought. I start to hallucinate. There's chatter in my head. I'm very distractible, and I tend to act on impulse (often leads to debt). On bad days my speech is pressured and incoherent. Some days I feel okay and just a little euphoric. Other days I'm pulling my hair out trying to get the noise in my head to stop. I stabilize a little in March and April, although I'm still not sleeping much, and I start getting more manic in May and June. I crash in late June or very early July, and I might be stable for a couple weeks until the agitated depression comes....and we start the cycle all over again.

I do experience some holes in my memory from the mania. Sometimes I don't remember things I did when I was manic at all...then I get the credit card bills after I crash and wonder where they came from...

It's sort of interesting how my most stable months are September and March (spring and fall equinoxes), and I tend to shift from mania to depression in December and June (Summer and Winter Solstices). Sometimes I think I'd solve this problem by moving to the equator.

I'm actually looking into light and dark therapy. I used a lightbox this year in the winter, and my depression wasn't nearly as bad....but I have to be careful...to much light can make me manic.....

WanderMan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Mar 2009, 9:59 pm

Thanks so much for the replies. Tell me, has anyone of you with this problem managed to live a relatively "normal" life?

I can't figure out how I can function unless I get rid of this. How would I hold a job, or even have meaningful relationships, when I drop of the face of the earth every few months?

Have you had any success dealing with these issues?

Sublyme
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Mar 2009, 7:55 am

WanderMan wrote:
Thanks so much for the replies. Tell me, has anyone of you with this problem managed to live a relatively "normal" life?

I can't figure out how I can function unless I get rid of this. How would I hold a job, or even have meaningful relationships, when I drop of the face of the earth every few months?

Have you had any success dealing with these issues?

I lead a pretty "normal" life. I have a career. I own a home. I have a relationship (sort of). My work is pretty inconsistant, and I don't think my manager really cares. I make up for slacking off during my winter depression, by what I can accomplish during a mild hypomania. I take a couple weeks vacation time in the summer when I get so manic I can't function anymore...I usually crash within a week or two of being really manic.

As for the depression, usually I'm pretty useless. All I do is sleep and I'm really apathetic. For me it usually lasts 2-3 months. I find myself eating handfuls of uncooked pasta and mayonnaise out of a jar with a spoon. The past two winter depressions haven't been too bad though since I got my light box. I use it twice a day for 30 minutes to extend the amount of "daylight" I'm exposed to. Last winter I actually managed to cook myself dinner most of the time, and slept 9-10 hours a night as opposed to 14+ hours I usually do during the winter. My overall mood was better too. I had more motivation and I wasn't so emotionless and empty. I was still in a little funk. My house was still a little messy, and laundry would pile up.....but I didn't just sleep through the whole winter like a bear would.