Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 11:06 pm

Interview with Donna Williams enjoy - I personnally always find her very insightful:
http://blog.donnawilliams.net/2009/03/1 ... -williams/

millie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 2:56 am

thank you. good to read and your interviewing questions were very good. :)

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 3:25 am

She really, really confuses me with her descriptions of things. It's like she's on the total other "spectrum" of emotion than I am, with me being on the logic portion.

With me it's, 'what the hell is she talking about?'

millie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 4:51 am

i can relate to her compensatory fragmentations - the sense of developing chameleon like personas is something i did to adapt - in similar way to her. that is why some women with an ASD can be misdx'ed with MPD earlier in their lives - because of the social and verbal mimicry which requires an "other" to bounce off and set the tone and type of the relating. (acting really.) Lorna Wing mentions the spy and the confidence-man (trickster) as 2 other manifestations of ASD's, and Attwood cited these on the weekend at his talk. i'd read about these presentations before and it does tend to fit with me to some degree.

what i find a little overwhelming iwith Williams is the degree of labelling she adheres to in her self-analyses.

But aside from that, i always find her fascinating and positive.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Mar 2009, 4:59 am

Thanks for posting that.

Loved reading it. Her references to "gay man in female body" and all the gut and immune-system problems resonate with me, and the way she breaks up autism into component parts, says that the term autism has become so inclusive it is now virtually meaningless, ( except as social model ), and her journey through various stages/states ( which I have experienced too ).

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Mar 2009, 5:03 am

millie wrote:
women with an ASD can be misdx'ed with MPD earlier in their lives - because of the social and verbal mimicry which requires an "other" to bounce off and set the tone and type of the relating. (acting really.) Lorna Wing mentions the spy and the confidence-man (trickster) as 2 other manifestations of ASD's, and Attwood cited these on the weekend at his talk.

The acting/mimicry I really get too. It takes a phenomenal amount of energy, and mental concentration, in my case it prevented me from doing very much else for about 10 years, until I broke down.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 5:25 am

millie wrote:
thank you. good to read and your interviewing questions were very good. :)

Thanks Millie, for her to acknowledge me for me is something special as she is truly the one person who really seems to understand me and has helped me so much over the last few years with discovering self...

millie wrote:
i can relate to her compensatory fragmentations - the sense of developing chameleon like personas is something i did to adapt
Me to and still do, done this for so long its hard to know real self for me at times... and I agree she does tend to over label, but to be honest I would love to have a total diagnostic and know what all my fruit salad buts are :D

Danielismyname wrote:
With me it's, 'what the hell is she talking about?'
Thats happens to me all the time, thats why its so hard to have the confidence to be the real me at times...

ouinon wrote:
The acting/mimicry I really get too. It takes a phenomenal amount of energy, and mental concentration, in my case it prevented me from doing very much else for about 10 years, until I broke down.
I spent half my life time confused, only found my self less than 2 years ago, in away I guess people like Donna have been full circle and now can allow themselves just to be... hopefully like my son who is already a confidence aspie teenager.... but I feel far to many of us have had to live in the shadows for too long, preventing us from life its self in some aspects...... as we can not be, live, enjoy, love, do anything fully if not on our real terms, a misunderstood life is a little like a stolen life to me...

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 9:31 pm

Just one of Donna's comments from her interview below in response to part of one of my comments in regards to "but the narrow mindedness, ignorance and not allowing difference as I still struggle to find self has is not always easy" and I just had to share as love the reference to dung, but not so sure a good mix with sweets!
"when people roll their eyes, gets cross at me or uppity or use that Kindergarten-you’ve-got-half-a-brain tone, I draw on the Zen and Sociologist thing and don’t take it personally because it’s their journey. I’m cool with mine. I know its just the lens they see me through. I also know I don’t have to like it that life is a mixed bag, sweets and dung in the same bag. I don’t expect only dung and if life still has some sweets too, that’s all one can hope for really. I have realistic expectations of the broad social diversity we live with."

See start of thread or link below if wish to read full interview, comments:
http://asplanet.info/index.php?option=c ... Itemid=107

millie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 9:35 pm

Quote:
ouinon wrote:
millie wrote:
women with an ASD can be misdx'ed with MPD earlier in their lives - because of the social and verbal mimicry which requires an "other" to bounce off and set the tone and type of the relating. (acting really.) Lorna Wing mentions the spy and the confidence-man (trickster) as 2 other manifestations of ASD's, and Attwood cited these on the weekend at his talk.

yup. i know that one. :wink:

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 11:02 pm

millie wrote:
yup. i know that one. :wink:
Me too :wink: its like society never allowed many of us to be, pushed us to the limit and then feel a need to give us more labels which they cause 8O