Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TiffanyFerret
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 May 2009, 11:27 pm

I've pretty much always been around people with high IQs, but for some reason IQ tests always show average around 100.I don't even look for people with IQs, I just end up with people that happen to have a high IQ.I can talk at their level.Those friends tell me I'm very smart though.I have a friend that would be very shocked if he knew I had an average IQ.I'm not really sure why they think I'm smart though.Is there anybody also hangs around people with high IQs, IQ tests show average?

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 1:17 am

In your case, I would guess that you have a high aptitude in the communication, socializing, and general knowledge(plus others) areas. That's why you are able to relate effortlessly to those individuals with higher IQ's than your own. You are likely equal to them, or higher, in those areas.

The most likely reason that people have high IQ's, is that they excel in more areas than most people. Where-as a person of normal IQ will normally excel in one, or several, areas.

Those who know, don't speak.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 1:35 am

Another reason could be that IQ tests only measure very specific tasks. Depending on a person's demeanor the day of testing, he or she may be good at the measured tasks or not so good. These tests are only a snapshot of specific performances at a specific time. Also, I don't believe that the I.Q.'s of severely autistic adults can be measured with standardized tests regardless or level of function. If measured at this moment, my I.Q. would probably be in the high mentally ret*d range. On a very good day, I might come in at around 170 or so. I don't place much stock in I.Q. tests or scores.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 1:35 am

Another reason could be that IQ tests only measure very specific tasks. Depending on a person's demeanor the day of testing, he or she may be good at the measured tasks or not so good. These tests are only a snapshot of specific performances at a specific time. Also, I don't believe that the I.Q.'s of severely autistic adults can be measured with standardized tests regardless or level of function. If measured at this moment, my I.Q. would probably be in the high mentally ret*d range. On a very good day, I might come in at around 170 or so. I don't place much stock in I.Q. tests or scores.

Dianitapilla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 May 2009, 2:06 am

I'm more likely to be taken as an idiot :lol: and my IQ is above normal... I think IQ has nothing to do with how people percieve you, it increases your chances of social succeed though... and not all people that is socially succesful is intelligent.

The expression "intelligent but not smart" rings in my ears now.

And any way, IQ test is a tool developed by people to quantificate other's peoples specific untangible capacities, by specific I mean the ones that can be measured like for example, general knowledge and mathematical logics. As for the capacities that are unmeasurable (like social self-proyection) quantification still remains in mistery or hypothesis. :chin: There have been some theories proved though, like how the social self-proyection can be positive influenced by pheromones or by your beautifulness... perhaps you are a handsome guy so people WANT to percieve you as smart even though you are average.

As well... perhaps your friends just find you a really nice and cool guy so they wanna think you are one of them ;-)

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 2:24 am

Quote:
On a very good day, I might come in at around 170 or so. I don't place much stock in I.Q. tests or scores.

I highly doubt at any point your IQ is near 170...
I'm getting tired of every other person on here claiming their IQ's are a ridiculously high number.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 2:44 am

buryuntime wrote:
Quote:
On a very good day, I might come in at around 170 or so. I don't place much stock in I.Q. tests or scores.

I'm getting tired of every other person on here claiming their IQ's are a ridiculously high number.

ITS OVER 9000!! !! !

WHAT, NINE THOUSANDDDDD!! !! !!

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 2:56 am

buryuntime wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, I feel that way alot too. I usually keep to myself, bit it is ridiculous to see these super-high numbers, all the time. It is estimated that Einstein had an IQ around 160-165, yet I constantly see numbers posted that are way over that. I've even seen numbers over 180, in which there have been only around 30 people ever measured with IQ's higher than that. :roll:

Yes, I know there are some smart people here. But I would bet that there are no more than 2, in our 26,000+ members that truly would measure over 165, maybe none. It is very rare.

Those who know, don't speak.

Dianitapilla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 May 2009, 4:14 am

jawbrodt wrote:

Yeah, I feel that way alot too. I usually keep to myself, bit it is ridiculous to see these super-high numbers, all the time. It is estimated that Einstein had an IQ around 160-165, yet I constantly see numbers posted that are way over that. I've even seen numbers over 180, in which there have been only around 30 people ever measured with IQ's higher than that. :roll:

Yes, I know there are some smart people here. But I would bet that there are no more than 2, in our 26,000+ members that truly would measure over 165, maybe none. It is very rare.

From yahoo answers (I was to lazy to transcribe).
Quote:
Einstein never took an IQ test (they are a fairly recent development) so no one knows what his IQ is. But the fact that he was brilliant in some fields doesn't mean he would have had a high IQ. There are people, called 'idiot savants' who are incredibly brilliant in one field, but hopeless at other things. For some reason, mathematics is often the field of special intensity - they can calculate numbers in their heads that you or I would have trouble entering into a computer, and solve them faster than the computer. They can tell you what day of the week any date in history was, or project it forward into the future. But they may not be able to figure out how to get across town on a bus. So IQ, no matter how high it is, doesn't always indicate brilliance. And your personal IQ can and does vary over your lifetime, so it isn't a set number.
It is used as a guide, however. IQs of under 80 are generally deemed to need assisted living conditions, those with IQs over 135 are MENSA level.

Some people with high IQs are not especially socially adept, because they can't undestand how other people (with lower IQs) have such trouble understanding things that come naturally to the. Others with high IQs are wonderful, kind and caring people. So there aren't really any generalizations you can make about people with high or low IQs.

Let me illuminate your 170 IQ :lol: :P : The term "IQ score" is widely used but poorly defined. There are a large number of tests with different scales. The result on one test of 132 can be the same as a score 148 on another test, some tests have a rank 1-200 others 1-300 and so on.

So one day some one says that einsten's IQ was not above the average (this 160-165 Einstein's IQ is very average in the 1-300 scale), and then some one that doesn't takes the effort to understand what it's been talked about just spreads it like Einstein is a genious (this 160-165 IQ is very very high in the 1-200).

A good example of a test based on 1-200 rating is the WAIS or Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale.
Quote:
FROM WIKI: Although the term "IQ" is still in common use, the scoring of modern IQ tests such as the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale is now based on a projection of the subject's measured rank on the Gaussian bell curve with a center value (average IQ) of 100, and a standard deviation of 15, although different tests may have different standard deviations. [/i]

Measure rank:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_N ... bution.svg

Standard deviation: Is where the doctors have agreed to divide in categories.
http://images.encarta.msn.com/xrefmedia ... 59365A.gif

(In wich case I'm considered to be part of the 16% that is more intelligent than the rest.)

In the case of MY WAIS test (Standard deviation of 10)

< or = 69 is mental retardation
70-79 inferior
80-89 average/low
90-109 average/medium
110-119 average/high
120-129 superior
> or = 130 very superior.

(in this case I'm considered to be part of the 6% that is more intelligent than the rest, like a lot of aspies)
Even between the same tests the judgement of when a person is considered more intelligent than the rest is very subjective. For Mensa is required WAIS equal or above 130.

Only 2% of the population of the world can score 130 or above it, so in the USA only, it means 6'120.000 persons. There are 6'120.000 chances for you to be in that so called "golden ring", or 2 out 100 persons to know some one that is in it. But scores of this 2% are comprenhended until 145, above that becomes as improbable as %0.2 - %0.1.

2 of my friends are from that 2% and believe me, they are rather desapointing for IQ applauders... one quited the dream job earning millions a year to start studying filosophy in a not wel know university, living in a students dorm just to have the less responsibilities as posible, now he's a teacher (a very well paid one of course) at a random private school. The second was a woman, never graduated, never had a dream job (was a cartoonist) that couldn't deal with the expectations that where put on her and finally became a drug abuser, she screw it up with everyone before she disapeared in the addiction abandoning her daugter.

Even I am dissapointing for IQ applauders, I'm in the golden 6% and yet I'm unable to use a calculator, read maps, ride bikes, study, remmember my house numbers in the good order or my postal code, deal with people... and much more, ALMOST ANYTHING! :cry: ( :wink: I'm still a lovely person :P ) btw no universitary studies and working at a cheap clothes store.

If you really have it, good luck and know that more defining than IQ is how do you plan to live your life.

I close with a video I came a cross, don't know if it is real but sounds like so.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HueXgfXEiHQ&feature=related[/youtube]

Last edited by Dianitapilla on 27 May 2009, 7:14 am, edited 6 times in total.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 5:15 am

Sometimes I think a high IQ simply means you can access and process information very quickly, which is great but it seems to me they have never come up with an adequate indicator of creative intelligence. I can think of several examples of people with high IQ's that were effectively idiots because they had such a complete lack of insight and wisdom. I agree that the tests seem to measure only specific strengths. How does having ADD affect your score for example? My son tests at average. His performance score is high and his verbal score is low so it averages out to average(or so I understand). Anyone who knows him comments on how eagerly he seeks out new information. His current obsession is military history. His friend makes straight A's and his interests are 1. video games 2. sports. My oldest brother tests at 140 and he is very successful but I think it has more to do with his ability to multi-task and his ability to hyper focus.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 5:33 am

Warsie wrote:
ITS OVER 9000!! !! !

WHAT, NINE THOUSANDDDDD!! !! !!

It's actually 8000, the dub that said 9000 was horribly wrong.

Sorry for ruining your meme.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 6:13 am

buryuntime wrote:
Quote:

He DID say MIGHT! And he belittled the idea of the idea of the IQ. From what I have seen, FEW have claimed 170 IQs. The average of people claiming "high" IQs is about 120-130.

And don't think high IQ claims are so unique to here. Some, in other sites, claim IQs that would put them in record books if true, not that I am validating Ms. Savants IQ AT ALL! Still, Ms Savant is a good example of the ridiculous claims we are talking about.

As for the OP. Did they tell you the scores, or did you guess them? IQ IS hard to reliably determine in ANY way. Frankly, I never trusted it as a very valid measure. It is like a person taking a test in history class, getting an A, and determining that they know all history.

If you know their subjects, say interesting things, or are one they are interested in, they may consider YOU smarter or just enjoy your company!

__biro
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 May 2009, 8:21 am

I got my IQ tested recently and it came out at 143 and the letter said that came within the top 3% which isn't mensa standard. Even though my IQ is high I have very little self help skills and have no chance of even working in mcdonalds at the moment. I think I would do great in a job that only uses my mind though.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 8:42 am

That is a very interesting, and somewhat scary video. Just because most people are stupid, doesn't mean that they shouldn't have children! I agree that democracy doesn't work, because the majority are stupid, but what does he propose instead? Just because someone is intelligent, doesn't mean that they're morally suitable to be in charge.

The problem isn't stupid humans, or clever humans... the problem is humans.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 8:51 am

I have an IQ that would allow me to join Mensa but I am an Aspie.
My wife has an even higher IQ but she is manic depressive.

We have a daughter who ranks in the 99th percentile for both IQ and creativity.

She married a man whose IQ is almost off the charts but he has borderline personality disorder.

We have two young grandchildren who would have to be seen to believed. They are so smart.

But "smart" often has problems. Raw IQ does not equate with success or happiness.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 8:58 am

I took an IQ test and the results were negative. I really wish I can have a high IQ. I actually have no brain. A brain?? What the heck is that??? I hate having Anencephaly. That is the medical term for no brain. I just have a less severe form of it. Usually most of your skull is also missing, I don't have that part of it. Its also surprisingly more common than you think. I know, on websites it states that it happens in every 1 in 1,000- 10,000 cases. But in the Human world, its more like 1 in 1.1. I have seen first hand evidence of this. Look at the average human driving skill! Humans can't think. By the way, I am an idiot savant. I can't do simple things outside of art and psychology. I wish I can join Mensa!! But they don't let people with no brains enter.