Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 9:40 pm

I have this thing that occasionally happens to my vision. Its like a crescent or ring that starts off very small in my vision. It is made of something that flickers in a morphic way between white and black. It slowly expands unitl it disappears from my vision. What is this? I tried googling, but I found no results that matched what I am describing. Does anyone know what this could be?

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 9:47 pm

I'm fairly sure this kind of thing is normal and nothing to worry about.

Here's a thought, though. You didn't say if this is something that you've experienced for a long time or if it's new, but are you taking any kind of hormones? It wouldn't surprise me if those things are related, although I have nothing to back that up.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 9:51 pm

I am not on horomones. I have had this happen several times, not too often, but when it ddoes happen, it causes temporary partial blindness, and I cannot see well enough to function properly. This started happening, well that I can remember at least, in early high school.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 10:04 pm

I do have suspicions as to what it might be, but I am not going to post them, as I want to try to figure out what else it might be first...

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 12:15 am

Sounds like a migraine aura -- and it's possible to get the aura (actually "scotoma") without the headache/nausea/etc. I read once that the pattern is created by a 'wave' of constricting blood vessels as it passes through the visual cortex. Anyway, "opthalmic migraine" is one name for that phenomenon. I get one of those every month or two or so, since I was about 11-12. (And it's such that I have to wait it out; I end up with two-thirds of my visual field non-functional for 15-20 minutes.)

These (link) images have some pretty good/interesting representations of what it looks like to me...

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 7:18 am

Could be, but for some reason I doubt that. I have never had this happen any time near having a headache, and I have never had a migraine, at least as far as I can tell.

__biro
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 May 2009, 8:30 am

I had a weird worm looking thing in my vision once and then it sort of grew over both my eyes and then I stopped being able to see for a while. Doctor said it was a migraine even though I had no headache. Since then I have been getting migraines (painful ones) but I never had them before that.