Page 1 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 9:31 pm

Someone like me will probably never get DXed because of the psychosis symptoms I have, but I have almost all the aspie traits except...

I lack good social skills, in fact I was in social skills counseling at one point, but now I am said to be able to hold down a 1 to 1 conversation too well to be autistic.

I can read major facial expressions, like happy, sad, etc automatically. Online tests suggests however I mess up on subtle ones.

I make eye contact automatically.

Idioms don't confuse me.

What traits do you lack?

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

PowerGirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2009, 9:39 pm

I'm an odd one out. I'm an Aspie. I've met a few Aspies in person and from all the Aspies I know, none of them like jeans but I LOVE them and wear them all the time. In fact, my mom often wishes I wear somethign else once in a while. I'm also sensitive to light as well as sound, but the other Aspies I've talked to are not. I also have always had really good balance and I hear that Aspies are on the clumsy side or something. I am also sensitive to all my senses but I dont know how that fits with this all. I just have sensitive senses that kinda get in the way like when I go to the doctor's office and they feel your stomach area to see if its okay, I ALWAYS laugh hysterically. I can't help it! I am SO TICKLISH! I am also female which is another way I am an odd one out since Aspies are more prevalent in males. I can't think of anymore right now. -Power Girl

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 9:48 pm

I lack any sensory problems

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 9:59 pm

I have some symptoms that are not usual for Asperger's Syndrome. I stare into eyes. I don't have any problem staring like an eagle or hawk (which I was likened to.)straight through the back of their head. Teachers would send me to the principal because they thought I was rebellious and challenging to their authority. I would be cringing and crying and apologizing for being "bad" but still staring holes through their retinas. As I grew older I used to be challenged to fights all the time, I had NO idea what was going on, people thought I was a real bad ass, when I was just staring at whom ever was addressing me.

I thought I was making contact, myself.

Merle

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 10:01 pm

I LOVE staring at faces. I stare at people on the street and in the bus. I have to consciously not look and keep my eyes off of people in order not to be rude.

TobyZ
Toucan
Toucan

23 Apr 2009, 10:17 pm

I think anyone who goes undiagnosed until age 30 or after must be pretty good at controlling or not having the body movements. As certain body movements are pretty quickly recognized by doctors as autistic.

theQuail
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Apr 2009, 10:17 pm

My social skills are too good. I can hold a conversation (well, not a typical light conversation with a teenage peer but...) well enough, although it is a bit awkward and I am told my wording is odd. I also don't have problems with idioms. In addition, I am able to imagine myself as someone else, an ability cultivated from years of reading fiction. I would be failing English miserably if I lacked theory of mind, so that's definitely fortunate...

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 10:26 pm

TobyZ wrote:
I think anyone who goes undiagnosed until age 30 or after must be pretty good at controlling or not having the body movements. As certain body movements are pretty quickly recognized by doctors as autistic.

I have used a doctor perhaps 10 times in 30 years and never the same doctor. When people don't care, you can slip through every crack.

Merle

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 10:32 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
TobyZ wrote:

I have used a doctor perhaps 10 times in 30 years and never the same doctor. When people don't care, you can slip through every crack.

Merle

Doctors treat only the "admitting diagnosis" and ignore other problems you may have.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 10:45 pm

I don't have any strong obsessions; I tend to be focused on school work MOST of the time. Sometimes I get derailed, though, but it's not that I obsess over some specific thing day and night.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 10:56 pm

Learning2Survive wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
TobyZ wrote:

Merle

Doctors treat only the "admitting diagnosis" and ignore other problems you may have.

most of them 'don't want to know'. Even the psychologist I hired that 'knew' about AS waved it away as 'unimportant', and wanted to teach me how to 'stand under an anxiety attack like a under an ocean wave.'

Merle

jamesp420
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Apr 2009, 11:00 pm

My motor skills and coordination are pretty good, and my social skills are also decent. I have a knack for being able to make friends which I know is extremely rare for most Aspies. Also my senses are fairly normal.

http://www.facebook.com/jamesp420

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 11:46 pm

Angnix wrote:
Someone like me will probably never get DXed because of the psychosis symptoms I have, but I have almost all the aspie traits except...

I lack good social skills, in fact I was in social skills counseling at one point, but now I am said to be able to hold down a 1 to 1 conversation too well to be autistic.

I can read major facial expressions, like happy, sad, etc automatically. Online tests suggests however I mess up on subtle ones.

I make eye contact automatically.

Idioms don't confuse me.

What traits do you lack?

I don't have trouble with eye contact anymore...wasn't aware of it then.

Have good (maybe not great) coordination when it comes to dancing and gymnastics.

Don't have a high IQ.

Can have some small chats with people depending.

I think that's about it... :(

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2009, 12:03 am

I was good at sports but didn't play them after school and I can read faces.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2009, 12:14 am

I don't have the whole pedantic, one-sided and verbose way of interacting in person. I have social withdrawal instead (not conditioned), which would look like indifference to outside observers.

Peers never saw it as such though, they saw that I thought I was too good for them, which couldn't be further from the truth, but that's how assumptions go.

I also didn't have delayed motor development, which in turn equates to motor clumsiness as an adult.

I have the narrow interest like someone with AS, plus the lack of empathy, the lack of nonverbal cues, and the desire for routines.

24 Apr 2009, 12:28 am

Zero eye contact
Not talking to people
Above normal hearing
Lot of sensory issues
Inflexibility (got rid of that)
Disliking good surprises
Hating Christmas growing up
Monotone voice 24/7
Poor balance (my mom fixed it)
Seeing people as objects (outgrew that)
Unable to keep a job
Hating jeans (outgrew that)
Having to sit in the same seat (outgrew that)
Playing with my toys the same way over and over (outgrew that)
Unable to understand idioms