Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

2PreciousSouls
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 May 2009, 7:18 am

I've read that many people on the spectrum have other ongoing conditions that may include diarrhea, viral infections candida infections and allergies or food intolerances?

My DS (4) has had chronic "toddler diarrhea" and recurrent viral croup and allergies.

So I'm interested to know if there are others out there on the spectrum who suffer with any ongoing or recurrent conditions that I mentioned above?

And also, if cutting out any particular foods has helped with symptoms, or how you feel in general?

Thanks in advance :)

Psygirl6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 May 2009, 8:28 am

I suffer from food intolerance(lactose,gluten, wheat, msg, casein). As a young child I suffered from slow transit constipation, which ended up getting worse and eventually had to take out my whole entire colon. Now I have learned it was probably food intolerance that caused it, since food intolerance can also cause severe constipation. It was very hard to tell, since I am very under sensitive in my stomach area, I showed no signs of colic and/or stomachaches. Also I was born in 1978, and food intolerance was known to cause diarreah, not constipation back then. I had in my 20's had diarreah when I had any food with lactose, but if I did not have the lactose, I would end up severely constipated, where I developed heartburn. So I was diagnosed as having Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I was put on medication for it, but it did not work. In fact I still had to take over the counter with it, but the heartburn would get worse. When I had my colon taken out, the heartburn went away, but I had major diareah to the point of mal-absorption, even 3 months after the "recovery" period from the surgery. The doctor did an elimination diet, and it turns out I had all of these food intolerance issues because when I avoided them, my bowels were Okay. The food intolerance problems also cause my emotional, mental, and thinking to be messed up for a few days to a few weeks, depending on how much exposure I had with the intolerated food.
well, good luck with everything and I hope you find this helpful.

04 May 2009, 1:56 pm

No but I've always had constipation. My parents had to take me to a doctor when I was under 1 and he told them to give me something so she did and I would go a half hour later and then she would clean me up. I heard you're supposed to poop everyday but I don't think I ever had my whole life. I don't know if I pooped my diapers everyday as a baby. My bf says you're supposed to go after every meal but I sure don't. I had really bad constipation in my early teens. I was 16 or 17 when I first started to dig it out and I was grossed out by it at first because I was touching my own feces but then I got used to it.

pennypincher
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 May 2009, 2:19 pm

I have allergies and food intolerances. When I was younger I was allergic to all pollens. I was also allergic to the smell of skunk and I had severe oral allergy syndrome. For those of you not familiar with that, I would break out in a rash if I ate almost any raw fruits or vegetables. I went to an allergist and had desensitation shots. That really helped my pollen allergies, and it cured my oral allergy syndrome and my allergy to skunk also went away.
When I was age 30, I developed several food intolerances. I am intolerant to poultry, eggs, honey, beets, and cherries. I have to read labels and avoid poultry in foods.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2009, 2:24 pm

Food intolerance is very common both on the spectrum and off it. Whether it's more common with autistic people is unknown; what we do know is that we're more affected by sensory input, including the type that comes from our digestive systems, so we benefit more from the resolution of digestive problems than most people do.

If your son has problems digesting something--always gets the diarrhea after a certain sort of food--then it's safe to say the food is difficult for him to eat and shouldn't be given to him, or at least not until he's older (an immature digestive system is also a possibility).

But it needn't be food-related. It's possible for a child's digestive system to be just generally touchy, without being set off by any particular food. That's best managed with medication, if necessary. If it's just occasional diarrhea, just make sure he drinks enough and he'll be fine. Sometimes there's no real way to solve the problem other than waiting and treating symptoms.

I have no food intolerance or digestive problems.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com