Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 8:43 pm

When you are on vacation from work or school (assuming you go) do you travel? I haven't left the State of Pennsylvania since 1992. I really don't travel well. Hotel beds are VERY uncomfortable for me, can't stand long car trips or air travel at all (I'm very sensitive to pressure change) I'd miss my cats and being online, plus being in crowds is a deal breaker. Anyone else here like that?

Zoonic
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 8:49 pm

I traveled to a few places in Europe almost ten years back. I found it mostly boring, I spent the last days just sitting in the hotel doing nothing.

I'm very high maintenance and hate not having all conveniences of my home. I'm paranoid and scared of thieves stealing my $1200 traveling bags containing a portion of my luxury wardrobe. I'm annoyed that things like shoes are hard to transport and take up a lot of space. I'm worried about it just being a wasted trip because of nothing new happening in my life. I'm scared of returning home disillusioned.

If I traveled it would be with a more kamikaze mentality. Something needs to happen, it's win or die.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 8:59 pm

I traveled from NC to OR to live. Ten years ago, I moved from NC to CA. So, I've done a lot of distance traveling. I've also been to Scotland and England, Mexico and Canada.

I travel ok. I just don't adjust to new surroundings for quite a while. I end up an anxious wreck for the first few months.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 9:02 pm

I tend to overpack way too much. But I always want to prepare for ANY situation. In any case, I hate having to share a hotel bed (if I'm traveling with a group and such) cuz I kick alot in my sleep and need lots of sleeping room).

I usually have to sit behind my dad on road trips and he pushes his seat waaay back. It's very damn unpleasant.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 9:08 pm

I travel a lot... when I go to a new place, I focus on the things that are the same. A left turn is still a left turn, I still eat in the same way even if the food is different, I dress the same way, and I still like animals, so I can look for them. I am able to let all the new stuff just wash over me a lot of the time.

I'm thinking of getting some noise-cancelling headphones because all the hussle and bustle sound wears on me and I need a quiet space in my head.

I travel with my own pillow. Beds I just deal with.

I grew up in a family that traveled a lot, so that no doubt helped.

I'm getting to where I don't want to travel as much... but then I've been flying 4x year for the past 8 years and it wears on me, disrupts my projects.

Last edited by DonkeyBuster on 15 May 2009, 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikemmlj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 May 2009, 3:01 am

As an airline employee I travel a lot. I just went to Aruba for one day with no change of clothes and did the same thing last year in Curacao, I am going to go to each island of the Dutch Caribbean and never put on a bathing suit..and only stay overnight. Crazy but I enjoy it. St. Maarten is next.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 5:07 am

The Hotels provide you with the beds you pay for, the beds in a 4 star hotel are MUCH softer than those in a cheap rental apartment.

Boira
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2009, 5:10 am

I travel abroad once a year, usually for a week-10 days, alone.
I love photography and it's impossible to take a proper picture with people around, annoying you to death.