Why do some care more about welfare moms or children in the

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 1:56 pm

third world than their own offspring? That never sat with me. They want to send them out to the dogs at 18 and force them to pay their own tuition. They send them into a life of debt yet think nothing of paying taxes to welfare leeches and for social security they will never collect. Thankfully, my parents pay for my college tuition ( I am not a moron who attends college that is $20,000 a year). When I'm older, I would rather pay to help ensure my children's success rather than give food stamps to a welfare mother who is far too moronic to refrain from having unprotected sex with sleazeballs she met in the club.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 2:04 pm

timeisdead wrote:
Thankfully, my parents pay for my college tuition ( I am not a moron who attends college that is $20,000 a year). When I'm older, I would rather pay to help ensure my children's success rather than give food stamps to a welfare mother who is far too moronic to refrain from having unprotected sex with sleazeballs she met in the club.

In my state there's a program for students who make good grades in high school. They get free tuition at state universities and colleges. If you lived in a state that had a program like that, your tax dollars would go to pay for your kid's tuition.

Last edited by ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo on 14 May 2009, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tortuga
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 2:05 pm

I don't think too many people are jazzed about supporting deadbeat welfare recipients. About college, sometimes you send a kid to school, buy him books, and he still won't do the work.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 2:09 pm

Being a mother is a full-time job. A woman can choose not to be married and still raise a child who can contribute to society. Obama's mom was on welfare at one point.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

Strangegem
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 May 2009, 2:17 pm

those who are on welfare don't necessarily chose to be. I'm the child of a mom on welfare because of a disability: she is physically incapable of working. she can't afford to send me to college, she can't even afford to keep feeding me (if I stay at home after 18 ) unless I pay rent. there were no bars or sleazeballs involved in my conception, and welfare is what allows my mother to stay OUT of a relationship with any sleazeball.

please don't assume that people on welfare are just lazy, or moronic. thankyou.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 2:19 pm

If you sum everything, you see that, probably these people gave much more money to their sons (from the birth to 18) than to "welfare moms and or children in the third world".

Another point:

"They send them into a life of debt yet think nothing of paying taxes to welfare leeches and for social security they will never collect. "

By your profile, I see that you live in USA. Apparently you object to pay taxes to "welfare leeches and social security" but not to, for example, to support to having armies in all the planet, to pay bailouts to Wall Street bankers or to support a bunch of guys who, by themselfes, decided (instead of living in his "natural habitat", in Europe or US) to settle in the Midlle East near millions of hostile arabs (yes, I don't realy know if you are against to pay taxes for these things or no, but, if in your OP you only wrote about welfare moms and third world children, I presume that yoy not object to the other things).

[Perhaps this thread should go to another forum?]

whipstitches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 May 2009, 2:28 pm

timeisdead wrote:
When I'm older, I would rather pay to help ensure my children's success rather than give food stamps to a welfare mother who is far too moronic to refrain from having unprotected sex with sleazeballs she met in the club.

Careful now. You never know who might be reading your post timeisdead. I am a 35 year old woman who had a baby at 18 and managed to complete a university education as a single mother. I did this with the much welcomed and appreciated support of the welfare system. My childs father was the saludadictorian of our graduating class and attended college on a scholarship. I did not receive any scholarships because I did not have the grades at the time. Most likely because of my AS issues and my weird uneven IQ profile. I was raised by a single parent. My mother ended up as such because my father died when I was only 3 years old. I began attending college as soon as I left highschool because I had to take remedial course work to be up to speed enough to begin a program of study. Today, I have a bachelors degree in in geology and I will be attending graduate school in the fall to obtain a master's degree. I could not have done any of this without the five years of public assistance that I received. Now, before you go and say something like "but you are highly unusual" or some other similar retort... I have actually met several other single women with children who were working on degrees ranging from social work to scientists and more who were all in almost identical situations to myself. You don't hear about any of us because we are success stories. The welfare that I received was that maximun allowable benafit. This amounted to the following: $500/month cash payment, $250/month food stamps, a medicaid card for myself and my daughter and daycare vouchers for days that I had to attend classes. We didn't have much of a life. I can recall scowering yard sales to find items to clean up and re-sell so that I could generate some extra cash. We were so poor that I couldn't afford conditioner to go with my shampoo! The maximum cash payout was $750/month in my state..... regardless of how many children you had.

I had to encure debt to attend college, too. I also did not go to an expensive school. The welfare system helped feed and cloth my daughter while I got an education. Today, it is possible for me to attempt to help my own child pay for at least a portion of her college expenses, and it is all because I was able to get enough public assistance to make it all work for me.

Let us not pass judgement, lest we be judged..... perhaps handicappe individuals shouldn't be allowed disability payments? Perhaps people with pervasive developmental disorders should be marginalized and denied academic assistance when needed because it is too expensive for the tax payers? Just think about how what you just said really sounds? It sounds like prejudice to me.

StewartMango
Toucan
Toucan

14 May 2009, 2:58 pm

I don't think the person meant ALL people on welfare!! !

I don't like anyone who cheats the welfare system!! !
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I HATE WHEN PEOPLE TAKE MY TAX MONEY AND SPEND IT ON DRUGS/ALCOHOL OR MATERIAL ITEMS THAT HUMANS DON'T NEED TO LIVE, INSTEAD OF THEIR CHILDREN!! !

I knew a mother who ask for milk money from my mom for her child, then take the money and spend it on drugs instead!! !

It was so heartbreaking, but at least one of her children are in college, but the kid basically helps raise the family instead of the mother!! !

www.stewartmango.com

StewartMango
Toucan
Toucan

14 May 2009, 3:05 pm

Not to mention her child is the FIRST one in her family who graduated from High School, the rest dropped out!
I pray she gets to own her own business someday and she becomes a better mother than her mother!

www.stewartmango.com

Strangegem
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 May 2009, 3:08 pm

people who cheat the system definitely get more attention than those who don't. and yes, you're right, welfare money should not be spent feeding addictions instead of caring for one's kids.
however the first post was a blanket statement. the "all" was implied. they didn't complain about the use of the money for drugs or alcohol, they complained about, and I quote, "welfare leeches" which is definitely discriminatory against an entire group. that's the part I had a problem with.
people should definitely take care of their children first, but to complain about helping others just doesn't sit well with me. if you must, complain about humanity and its vices, but don't complain about helping people who are specifically unable to help themselves, please. thankyou.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 3:56 pm

StewartMango wrote:
I don't think the person meant ALL people on welfare!! !

I don't like anyone who cheats the welfare system!! !
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I HATE WHEN PEOPLE TAKE MY TAX MONEY AND SPEND IT ON DRUGS/ALCOHOL OR MATERIAL ITEMS THAT HUMANS DON'T NEED TO LIVE, INSTEAD OF THEIR CHILDREN!! !

A lot of that is propaganda propagated by the right-wing. Ronald Reagan made up a BS story about a 'Welfare Mom' living in Chicago's South Side on her using xxx amount of identities, getting xxx out of the system, etc.
http://www.anitra.net/homelessness/colu ... myths.html

Last edited by Warsie on 14 May 2009, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 3:57 pm

whipstitches wrote:
timeisdead wrote:
When I'm older, I would rather pay to help ensure my children's success rather than give food stamps to a welfare mother who is far too moronic to refrain from having unprotected sex with sleazeballs she met in the club.

Careful now. You never know who might be reading your post timeisdead. I am a 35 year old woman who had a baby at 18 and managed to complete a university education as a single mother. I did this with the much welcomed and appreciated support of the welfare system. My childs father was the saludadictorian of our graduating class and attended college on a scholarship. I did not receive any scholarships because I did not have the grades at the time. Most likely because of my AS issues and my weird uneven IQ profile. I was raised by a single parent. My mother ended up as such because my father died when I was only 3 years old. I began attending college as soon as I left highschool because I had to take remedial course work to be up to speed enough to begin a program of study. Today, I have a bachelors degree in in geology and I will be attending graduate school in the fall to obtain a master's degree. I could not have done any of this without the five years of public assistance that I received. Now, before you go and say something like "but you are highly unusual" or some other similar retort... I have actually met several other single women with children who were working on degrees ranging from social work to scientists and more who were all in almost identical situations to myself. You don't hear about any of us because we are success stories. The welfare that I received was that maximun allowable benafit. This amounted to the following: $500/month cash payment, $250/month food stamps, a medicaid card for myself and my daughter and daycare vouchers for days that I had to attend classes. We didn't have much of a life. I can recall scowering yard sales to find items to clean up and re-sell so that I could generate some extra cash. We were so poor that I couldn't afford conditioner to go with my shampoo! The maximum cash payout was $750/month in my state..... regardless of how many children you had.

I had to encure debt to attend college, too. I also did not go to an expensive school. The welfare system helped feed and cloth my daughter while I got an education. Today, it is possible for me to attempt to help my own child pay for at least a portion of her college expenses, and it is all because I was able to get enough public assistance to make it all work for me.

Let us not pass judgement, lest we be judged..... perhaps handicappe individuals shouldn't be allowed disability payments? Perhaps people with pervasive developmental disorders should be marginalized and denied academic assistance when needed because it is too expensive for the tax payers? Just think about how what you just said really sounds? It sounds like prejudice to me.

You are highly unusual from my experience. The vast majority of people I have known on government assistance were lazy cheats. You used your time and money productively and I credit you for that. My experiences with such people have led me to become more and more conservative as time went on.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 4:01 pm

Quote:
to a welfare mother who is far too moronic to refrain from having unprotected sex with sleazeballs she met in the club.

Sure, but that's not the one and only reason people end up on welfare. The "welfare queen" meme was invented for political purposes back in the 80's. This is not to say there are no welfare cheats, but the meme suggests that all, or at least the vast majority of people on welfare are irresponsible, lazy cheats. And makes people mad, and gets them to vote for whatever politician harps on that meme the most. It's been a useful trick for 30 years (if not longer).

Again, this is not to say there are no cheats or that there aren't any reforms that could be made.

Oh and universities receive lots of tax dollars, so college students, even without scholarships, are getting some "welfare" also.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 4:01 pm

Strangegem wrote:
people who cheat the system definitely get more attention than those who don't. and yes, you're right, welfare money should not be spent feeding addictions instead of caring for one's kids.
however the first post was a blanket statement. the "all" was implied. they didn't complain about the use of the money for drugs or alcohol, they complained about, and I quote, "welfare leeches" which is definitely discriminatory against an entire group. that's the part I had a problem with.
people should definitely take care of their children first, but to complain about helping others just doesn't sit well with me. if you must, complain about humanity and its vices, but don't complain about helping people who are specifically unable to help themselves, please. thankyou.

The vast majority of the people I know on government assistance are cheats who continue to leech off the taxpayers.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 4:05 pm

timeisdead wrote:

let me guess. You think a lot of them are crack-whores too don't you :lol: :P :arrow:

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 4:12 pm

Warsie wrote:
timeisdead wrote:

let me guess. You think a lot of them are crack-whores too don't you :lol: :P :arrow:

Some are crackheads or methheads; certainly a greater proportion of them are addicted to drugs than the general American populace.

Last edited by timeisdead on 14 May 2009, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.