I always have to be doing something with my hands

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 2:15 am

I don't know about anyone else but my hands never stop moving. I have to be holding something or figeting with something at all times. I've learned to control the hand flapping but I don't think I'll ever be comfortable with my hands just being relaxed. Even when I sleep, I have to either hold onto a pillow or lay on top of my hands, to be comfortable. Is anyone else like this?

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 3:24 am

I am. I'm going to end up with terrible arthritis, because I can't stop pulling, cracking my fingers and twisting them. I must crack them hundreds of times a day. And if I have a hanky I'll "clean" my hands in a certain way that I find very soothing.(But I try not to do that in public.)

The handflapping is under control for the most part, and when I'm around others I'll often clench my hands under a table, or sometimes sit on them to stop myself from fiddling.

I lie on them when I'm sleeping, and I've taken up knitting.

ponies
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 May 2009, 4:23 am

Me too. I like to hold things in my hands when I am nervous. Like, when I am at work speaking to people, I like to hold a pen in my hand.

At home I don't need to do this so much. I feel more relaxed at home than I do at work. I guess it's because I feel that I can be myself more at home.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 4:57 am

Always playing around with my hands, like holding a pen or a random object from my desk. It is like they need to hold something.

In a long talk I sometimes get a mug of tea, so I have a reason to hold something.

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 May 2009, 6:01 am

I'm exactly the same, my hands always have to be holding something or doing something.
At college I channel it all into dismantling my pens continuously.
When I go to sleep I have to have my right hand under my pillow and my left hand hugging another pillow, otherwise I don't feel safe.
Even as I read this topic I was holding the mouse in one hand and twisting a ribbon with the other, which I didn't even notice I was doing until then.

It makes me feel safe and protected to be holding something in/doing something with my hands and plus, I never really know where to place my hands so it solves that problem. :P

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 6:03 am

I've always got to crack and twist my fingers almost constantly. I fiddle with stuff non-stop and I'm quite heavy handed so I end up snapping and breaking things. I am always ripping paper.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 6:19 am

i crack, pull & twist my fingers & hands, it's very annoying but i can't seem to stop.. i crack my feets & neck too :(

Dianitapilla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2009, 6:52 am

me too... but I have ADHD wich means that it seems like I'm talking with my hands (can stop moving them while talking) I realised I like to have them inside my tight pockets.

I always find myself an interesting reason to move them while you I'm talking, like a rubics cube or Ipod... then when people are talking to you they think they are helping you solve it XD or if not at least they are going to find you smart you just have to let them see how cool it is XD

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 7:27 am

Fudo wrote:
i crack, pull & twist my fingers & hands, it's very annoying but i can't seem to stop.. i crack my feets & neck too :(

I crack my feet too... toes, ankle, plus my knees, and my jaw. If I crack one finger, I have to go ahead and crack the rest, and I don't like to be lopsided, so I'll do both left and right.

Never managed my neck though.

Seriously, this is bound to cause me problems when I get older. I've cracked my hands so badly in the past that the knuckles have swelled up, and now, approaching forty, I find my hands ache.

Saddest thing is... I quite like the ache. It gives me an excuse to play with my hands more. :roll:

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 9:06 am

dustintorch wrote:
I don't know about anyone else but my hands never stop moving. I have to be holding something or figeting with something at all times. I've learned to control the hand flapping but I don't think I'll ever be comfortable with my hands just being relaxed. Even when I sleep, I have to either hold onto a pillow or lay on top of my hands, to be comfortable. Is anyone else like this?

Yes.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 9:20 am

I always have to do something repetitive with my hands. Usually in the form or making drumbeats on the nearest available hard surface, clicking my knuckle joints, or pulling at my inner forearm tendons by pulling my fingers back as far as they'll go.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 9:51 am

It's supposed to be good to keep your hands active: I think there was a study a while ago that said that hand movement was more effective than moving other body parts to alleviate depression.

QueenKnitter
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 May 2009, 11:43 am

I fold trash. Like straw papers at a fast food restaurant. Or wrappers the food came in. Or make little boats out of it. . . . My dear dad does it too. I used to have one of those origami calendars at the office, and I'd fold things while people were talking. I think it's similar to playing sudoku while people are talking to me.

Knitting is good for this too (hence the username). In fact, knitting is terrific therapy.

I've never noticed if I "flap." I'm not sure I know what that looks like. But I do mindlessly play Hanon exercises with my fingers.

QK

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 2:00 pm

When I had social anxiety in high school I always had to be doing something with my hands or holding something because I looked stupid with still, empty hands.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 2:50 pm

I often play "air piano" with my fingers. It aligns with the tune currently stuck in my head.

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 May 2009, 2:52 pm

fiddlerpianist wrote:
I often play "air piano" with my fingers. It aligns with the tune currently stuck in my head.

Oh, me too. From a very young age I've always moved my fingers to a tune in my head as if playing the piano.