Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Joshandspot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2009, 4:31 pm

Before i write this i wanna make it clear that i know for a fact that I don't have bipolar in the sense that it seems to be described in dsm-iv however i have noticed that my aspergers can sometimes take on a bipolar like mood swings where i literally get stuck in both good and bad moods and they spiral in either direction but tend to be caused by external events or internal thoughts that keep happening or get stuck. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and how they handle it?

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 12:09 am

I've been wondering for about the last week if maybe I'm bipolar. I've never been manic, but I have been depressed and I went on wikipedia today because for the last few days I've been feeling "off" (and I've felt like this before) and the description of mixed episode fits me basically perfectly.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 1:48 am

Though I'm probably not extreme enough to be diagnosed I seem to have developed some bipolar tendencies.

The distinction between situational and biological triggers is a little tricky. For instance I've always noticed a certain sense that I'm "prime" for going into a depression. I begin to lose interest in productive activities and start focusing on things that make me bitter and angry. If anything goes wrong at that point I will inevitably spiral downwards. There's a definite positive feedback involved but the initial loss of interest and "existential emptiness" feeling can occur without a clear trigger.