Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Keoren
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jan 2008, 2:02 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/ ... okie.shtml

Hopefully this hasn't been here, lately atleast.

---
I'm 50 (result) male. It seems to go by 50s or some other big number and not more specifically.

Part 1

Angles
Your score: 20 out of 20
Average score for men: 15.1 out of 20
Average score for women: 13.3 out of 20

Spot the difference
Your score: 43%
Average score for men: 39%
Average score for women: 46%

Part 2

Hands
You said your right thumb was on top when you clasped your hands together.
(Still, I'm very trusting in that I'm right-brained)

Part 3

Empathising
Your empathy score is: 4 out of 20
Average score for men: 7.9 out of 20
Average score for women: 10.6 out of 20

Systemising
Your systemising score is: 14 out of 20
Average score for men: 12.5 out of 20
Average score for women: 8.0 out of 20

Eyes
Your score: 10 out of 10
Average score for men: 6.6 out of 10
Average score for women: 6.6 out of 10
(They were too cliché)

Part 4

Fingers
Right Hand: 0.96
Left Hand: 0.98 or 1 (as I wasn't sure which one is right)

Part 5

Faces
Your choices suggest you prefer more feminine faces.

Part 6

3D shapes
Your score: 11 out of 12
Average score for men: 8.2 out of 12
Average score for women: 7.1 out of 12
(I'm actually feeling quite disappointed, must've misclicked :P)

Words
Your score: you associated 15 word(s) with grey and you named 3 word(s) that mean happy. We are assuming that all the words you entered are correct.

(I simply scrolled through different images I had in my head, seeing what things grey I could spot)

Average score for men: 11.4 words total
Average score for women: 12.4 words total

Ultimatum
If you had to split £50 with someone, you said you would demand £30

So far on the Sex ID test, men have demanded 51.6% (£25.80) of the pot and women have demanded 51.0% (£25.50), on average.

(I'm not really about money, but following what this question was after, I thought about the subject in general. I can be a little selfish)

Last edited by Keoren on 10 Jan 2008, 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chocolate_kitties
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jan 2008, 3:12 pm

I got 25. I'm less manly than an average man :(

Angles

Your score: 11 out of 20

Spot the difference

Your score: 43%

Hands

You said your right thumb was on top when you clasped your hands together.

Right thumb on top: This suggests the left half of your brain is dominant. Many studies have tried to establish whether there is a relationship between handedness and brain dominance. Some scientists believe that if you are left brain dominant, you would be more verbal and analytical.

Emotions and Systems

Empathising

Your empathy score is: 3 out of 20

Systemising

Your systemising score is: 9 out of 20

Eyes

Your score: 6 out of 10

Fingers

Right Hand: 0.98
Left Hand: 0.97

Faces

Your choices suggest you prefer more feminine faces.

3D shapes

Your score: 12 out of 12 (I'm so awesome :mrgreen:)

Words

Your score: you associated 1 word(s) with grey and you named 7 word(s) that mean happy. We are assuming that all the words you entered are correct.

Ultimatum

If you had to split £50 with someone, you said you would demand £30

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 4:35 pm

I'm embarrassed to say it but, i can't find millimeters on my ruler. only inches and centimeters. a little help please?

singularitymadam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: I live in a Mad Max movie. It's not as fun as it sounds.

10 Jan 2008, 4:36 pm

I just got my neuropsychological evaluation in the mail today, so I was pretty curious about what the internet had to say about my brain.

Overall, I got a 0. I'm equally male and female.

Angles
This task tested your ability to identify the angle of a line by matching it with its twin. This is a spatial task, which looks at how you picture space.
Your score: 17 out of 20

Spot the difference
This task tested your ability to identify which objects changed position. You lost points, if you incorrectly identified objects.
Your score: 79%

Hands
You said your left thumb was on top when you clasped your hands together.
This suggests the right half of your brain is dominant. Some studies theorise that as a right brain dominant person, you may excel in visual, spatial and intuitive processes.
(This is funny, because I get lost All. The. Time.)

Emotions and Systems
This task looked at whether you prefer to empathise or systemise.

Empathising

Your empathy score is: 0 out of 20 (oops.)

Systemising

Your systemising score is: 13 out of 20

Eyes
This task tested your ability to judge people's emotions.
Your score: 5 out of 10

Fingers
We asked you to measure your ring and index fingers. Your ratios came to:
Right Hand: 0.94
Left Hand: 0.92

Average ratio for men: 0.982
Average ratio for women: 0.991

Faces
This task looked at how you rate the attractiveness of a series of faces. The images you looked at were digitally altered to create slight differences in masculinity.
Your choices suggest you prefer more masculine faces

3D shapes
This task tested your ability to mentally rotate 3D shapes.
Your score: 11 out of 12 

If you scored 10 - 12: Are you an engineer or do you have a science background? People with these skills tend to score in this range. Past studies have concluded that people in this range have a more male brain.
Nearly a third of men who took this test got full marks, whereas less than 10 per cent of women managed the same.

I'm not an engineer or scientist, but maybe I should be.

Words 
This task looked at your verbal fluency.
Your score: you associated 11 word(s) with grey and you named 6 word(s) that mean happy. We are assuming that all the words you entered are correct. (Does this mean I could have made up words and cheated? Also, I type slowly. I know more than 6 synonyms for "happy," and more than 11 grey things. Obviously.)
Average score for men: 11.4 words total
Average score for women: 12.4 words total

Ultimatum
This task asked you how you would divide money.
If you had to split £50 with someone, you said you would demand £25 (It's only fair to split it evenly.)
So far on the Sex ID test, men have demanded 51.6% (£25.80) of the pot and women have demanded 51.0% (£25.50), on average.

singularitymadam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2008, 4:38 pm

ShadesOfMe wrote:
I'm embarrassed to say it but, i can't find millimeters on my ruler. only inches and centimeters. a little help please?

Multiply the centimeters by 10. 6 centimeters=60 millimeters. Each of those tiny little lines marks one millimeter.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 4:38 pm

singularitymadam wrote:
ShadesOfMe wrote:

Multiply the centimeters by 10. 6 centimeters=60 millimeters. Each of those tiny little lines marks one millimeter.

Thanks!

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 4:55 pm

Done it before, got mostly male. That said, I can take compromises well, such as the £50 one. 25-25 is only fair.

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 11:55 pm

I got 25 (male). It's worth noting that I'm bisexual, which made the choice on faces somewhat difficult since "both" wasn't an option. I went with female, but I found most of them to be ugly.

Anyway, I think the Ultimatum task is worth discussing. I went with the £25-£25 compromise just because it's fair, but I think you could certainly go higher. If I'm the one deciding if the deal is okay, I get nothing for refusing, so I'll take whatever I can get. I will always accept anything less than £50 (I'd refuse that because I'd get nothing anyway, that jerk). But I have a feeling most people would give up the chance at a few pounds just to spite you if you go too high. All this has me wondering what the optimal number would be.

As far as I'm concerned, a pound is a pound. If I want to get back at you for cheating me, I'll mug you and steal the rest later.

yvaN_ehT_nioJ
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 12:01 am

My score was around the 25 area.

singularitymadam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jan 2008, 12:01 am

WurdBendur wrote:
It's worth noting that I'm bisexual, which made the choice on faces somewhat difficult since "both" wasn't an option. I went with female, but I found most of them to be ugly.

I found most of the male faces to be rather ugly. They seemed to be neglecting the Platonic ideal of beauty in favor of the psychological ideals of masculinity vs. femininity. Those ideals have no importance if the face itself is unpleasant. Why do you think they did this?

I honestly didn't find the monetary question terribly important. I can see how it presents an interesting philosophical discussion for some, but the Prisoner's Dilemma would have been a much better indicator for this test, I think.

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 3:17 am

singularitymadam wrote:
I found most of the male faces to be rather ugly. They seemed to be neglecting the Platonic ideal of beauty in favor of the psychological ideals of masculinity vs. femininity. Those ideals have no importance if the face itself is unpleasant. Why do you think they did this?

Well, they obviously want to focus on the masculinity vs. the femininity of the faces since that's what they're testing for. If they vary in attractiveness in other ways, that ads more variables and makes the test unreliable.

singularitymadam wrote:
I honestly didn't find the monetary question terribly important. I can see how it presents an interesting philosophical discussion for some, but the Prisoner's Dilemma would have been a much better indicator for this test, I think.

I agree, it's an interesting question, but not really useful in this context. But while the Prisoner's Dilemma is far more interesting, I'm not sure it would be more useful.

singularitymadam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jan 2008, 4:59 pm

WurdBendur wrote:
Well, they obviously want to focus on the masculinity vs. the femininity of the faces since that's what they're testing for. If they vary in attractiveness in other ways, that ads more variables and makes the test unreliable.

Good point, but like I said, almost none of the faces were attractive. It was like asking "would you rather have sex with someone who has botulism or ebola?". Not a fair choice at all.

WurdBendur wrote:
I agree, it's an interesting question, but not really useful in this context. But while the Prisoner's Dilemma is far more interesting, I'm not sure it would be more useful.

It would be more useful, and here is why: the Prisoner's Dilemma is like the monetary ultimatum they gave, except you must replace the money with freedom (this is vastly oversimplified, but I am confident in your ability to understand). It would be a more universal measurement of empathy, since not everyone holds money to such a high regard. Not only does it measure empathy, it measures honesty and trust as well. In my ethics class, I noticed that more of the females responded in what would be considered the kindest, or most fair way. The males picked the most logical way, or the way most likely to benefit themselves.