Is Life Better or Worse Now Than When You Where Younger?

Page 5 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Is life better or worse now that you are older?
Yes 64%  64%  [ 91 ]
No 15%  15%  [ 21 ]
No Sure 22%  22%  [ 31 ]
Total votes : 143

Lyetta
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Oct 2007, 5:33 pm

hi folks i saw a lot of names in this thread i recognize from the chat room. i am "happier" because i am more free at age 55. I have a smaller world, fewer stresses, fewer people. I don't allow people in my life who make me feel icky. I am more willing to accept the responsibilities for my actions. I hate drama, mine or other peoples'. I used to create drama by my emotional needs being expressed. Now that I am closer to death, I don't think any more about trying to get other people to meet my needs. THanks for this thread.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

26 Oct 2007, 8:06 pm

its better. but i still need to show everyone i can live independently and pay all my bills ontime, and not use the money on sportscards

Lyetta
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Oct 2007, 5:38 am

worse. aches, pains, isolation, poverty, depression, loneliness, hopelessness, uselessness. i feel like i am 40 years older than i am. it is a challenge to keep on keeping on. and i have lost my looks. self pity is a b***h, too.

crazyllama
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Nov 2007, 11:48 am

Most of childhood sucked and most of adulthood sucks. Looking forward to being in the rest home I suppose.

Lazarus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Nov 2007, 6:00 pm

Typically, I'd love to go back and re-live my life from about the age of 12 onwards knowing what I know now. Unfortunately the realism I've developed in the meantime accepts this isn't possible. Much of my teens were a depressive blur and I'd certainly be happy to have no memory of them at all, but you could say adulthood has brought my greater extremes both of happiness and despair.

Overall though, I'm much happier now than then. And finding a massive forum of people just like me has definitely been a more recent benefit to my self-esteem :D

Lyetta
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Nov 2007, 8:52 am

Dear Members,
Its Friday. Early morning in New England. I love this topic. I love life. Some days, I feel like an unopened geode with a light on. Like my insides are beautiful, but only to me. I have a rocky exterior, and I look sort of like a potato. I have had many adventures. But all my life, I have thought I was on the edge of death. This has made me take chances along the way. I am more resliant than most people I know, though I have social oddities that make me shy with others. But the "me" that comes here feels pretty safe. I am peeking at you - like at a field of unopened geodes. I wish I knew us better. Thank you for being here. Respectfully, Lyetta

ps you can see the potato on MySpace/Lyetta

Brooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Nov 2007, 5:46 pm

Life is good for me.

The years since 1999 have been some of the best years in my life. In 1997 I was treated for Major Depression. I had hit rock bottom and I had nowhere to go but up.

When I came out of it, I went back to college and got a degree in Computer Science. I meet my wife and got a good career job in a field I truly enjoy. Bought a house and had a son. Life is some of the most consistently happy that I have ever been.

I still need to work on myself and will probably be working on myself till I die, but the good times out way the bad by the most that I have had since I was a small child.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2007, 1:06 pm

Hehehehe, Brooks, gotta tell ya I love the avatar. We'll have to tell Al that the planet's had a heck of a craving for Hillary Clinton, George Soros, and Ted Kennedy and that it needs to be appeased at the nearest volcano or else :P.

Brooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Nov 2007, 5:12 pm

Thanks.

I have laughed over and over this pic.

dupertuis
Raven
Raven

19 Nov 2007, 9:16 pm

Brooks wrote:
Thanks.

What's he saying?

Life is much better now. Experience, perspective make all the difference.

dp

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 9:33 pm

My life is exponentially better now that it was during my childhood and teenage years. While my time in junior high and high school was marginally tolerable, I would not wish my childhood on my worst enemy. (OK, maybe only on my worst enemy.)

Brooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Nov 2007, 9:03 am

dupertuis wrote:
Brooks wrote:
Thanks.

What's he saying?

Life is much better now. Experience, perspective make all the difference.

dp

THE PLANET IS GOING TO EATS US ALL ALIVE!! !

TitanDak
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Nov 2007, 3:24 pm

I would never go back to being a kid.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 8:13 pm

Now I know what to do about life, how to live it, how to relate to the opposite sex, etc, Iam to old to do it.

At least when I was young I had hope.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 12:25 am

When I was young I couldn't wait to grow up. Now that I'm grown up I look forward to growing old.

freedom = choice = responsibilities.

no freedom = no choice = no responsibilities.

I gladly take freedom.

Quote:
Now I know what to do about life, how to live it, how to relate to the opposite sex, etc, Iam to old to do it.

At least when I was young I had hope.

Are you crippled or on your death bed? Only when you give up is all hope lost.

Xingularity
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Jan 2008, 1:21 pm

Personally I'm ambivalent. I've found that within the last few years I've developed my coping skills greatly, to the point where I have a close group of friends, and am able to converse with random people without boring them to tears (and work in marketing! holy crap!)... BUT...

At the same time my quick-thinking mathematical skills have almost disappeared. I can still "do" maths, but the only way I can do it is the "slow" way (ie, the way I was taught at school), which really gets to me nowadays. It really bugs me. It used to be such a valuable skill for programming as well...