Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MsJ
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Mar 2008, 6:13 pm

bobert wrote:
I feel like I've out smarted the system.

Yesss! :!: That's what we Aspies do best!

-J.

MsBehaviour
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Apr 2008, 5:11 am

MsJ wrote:
Really, I think that people tend to limit themselves sometimes because they are told they must. No one ever told me, so I didn't know I was supposed to! :D

-J.

I'm with you here MsJ. I turned my quirks and individuality into a successful career in IT & the Media. I see being aspie as a feature, not a bug in my operating system. :twisted:

telrad
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Apr 2008, 9:23 am

MsBehaviour wrote:
MsJ wrote:
Really, I think that people tend to limit themselves sometimes because they are told they must. No one ever told me, so I didn't know I was supposed to! :D

-J.

I'm with you here MsJ. I turned my quirks and individuality into a successful career in IT & the Media. I see being aspie as a feature, not a bug in my operating system. :twisted:

I will try to stay short with this, but I have a really hard time communicating online. I am close to sixty years old, and I was officially diagnosed last month with AS. I am also blessed with hyperlexia and dysgraphia. I am still reading to see if those are related to my AS or are part of another problem. I have a brother who is obviously on the autistic spectrum, a nephew who is bipolar, and another nephew who was classified as fully autistic last year, so it seems to run in the family.
I never knew that I had a "syndrome"--I just knew I was unlike others in my peer groups. I am anti-social, spooked by odd fears, either completely silent or unable to stop talking, and I read incessantly. I have had what my wife calls hobbies but are obviously obsessions since I forget the world exists when I am consumed by them. I know more trivia than a Jeopardy contestant, and I have no true friends. I don't understand any conversations in crowds, and group discussions terrify me.
On the other side of this coin, I am considered intelligent, well-read, and slightly weird by most people who know me. I have been married for thirty years, I own my own small company, and I have two college degrees. All of this has been accomplished without medication or counseling since no one even knew there was a "syndrome." My life has been difficult to say the least, but I had one advantage over most people here--I did not know there was something wrong. I and most everyone who knows me are simply aware that I have unusual wiring in my chassis, and most forgive my foibles and some consider me interesting.
Success in life cannot be measured by ordinary accomplishments for me. My life is not about what I have or own--it is measured by my refusal to accept less than a wonderful life. Every time I meet someone new and hold their gaze, I have won. Every time I speak in public, I have won. Every time I begin a new "hobby", I have won. Every time I speak to a group, I have won.

Thanks for letting me say this--this is really a nice site.

I apologize for my long-winded answer, but it took me forty minutes to write this to make sure I didn't have spelling errors and didn't offend anyone and didn't say anything creepy--well you get the idea.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Apr 2008, 12:26 pm

I managed to triumph over my difficulties and a child and teenager and become a college professor. From what I have been told, a lot of people looked at my childhood diagnosis - schizophrenia (a common misdiagnosis for aspies in the 60s) - and suspected that I would never make anything of myself. It has been nice to prove them wrong.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

MsBehaviour
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Apr 2008, 12:17 am

telrad wrote:
Thanks for letting me say this--this is really a nice site.

Welcome to Wrong Planet Telrad. It's great to hear your perspective, and the success you have made of your life, in your own way.

Sublyme
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Apr 2008, 5:14 pm

I'd like to think I live a successful adult life (thus far). I'm only 26, so not too far into adulthood, but so far I'm doing okay. I don't think I have Asperger's, but another ASD, either PPD-NOS or just HFA. I didn't talk until I was almost five year old....spent most of my childhood in special ed...always knew I was different but not as dumb as they said I was. I knew from an early age I saw the world differently. In addition to an autism spectrum disorder, I also have grapheme-color synesthesia....so to me letters and numbers come in different colors, and numbers even have different textures....this makes me really good at math and I also have a really good memory.

So I knew I had these "skills," but I just needed to learn how to act like normal people do. Eventually the rocking and hand flapping gave way to knee bouncing, finger tapping and pen clicking. I started learning how to make eye contact, but not to stare for too long. I learned how to not say what was in my mind, but what I was supposed to say. I was mainstreamed at school in the ninth grade.....however I was still somewhat socially inept. I only really made one friend in high school (still friends with her now actually), and she dropped out when she was 16. I found myself friendless again.....and soon dropped out myself....however I had a plan.

I saved my near perfect SAT scores I had taken that year (800 math), and applied to college. I enrolled in a community college in my county when I was 15. Transferred to a 4-year university that focused on engineering. Being blond and female in an engineering school where the student population is over 80% male kinda meant instant popularity, didn't matter if I wanted it or not. I felt awkward and couldn't shake the feeling I was a total fraud...I got a B.S. in chemical engineering when I was 19, then an M.S. in chemistry at 21, didn't keep in touch with any friends from college or grad school. I started interning when I was 18, and found myself a full time job in my field at 19...and worked while I was in grad school. I've had a career for the past seven years as a formulation chemist in the cosmetic/personal care industry. I have a career where I do not have to interact with the general public, only my coworkers. My career relies heavily on creativity....and being good at math and having a good memory really helps.

I don't get looked at strangely because I talk to myself, inanimate objects, pieces of lab equipment or raw materials or even my batches of makeup. Coming to work in with two different shoes on might get a laugh out of my coworkers....but hey one of them came to work with two different shoes on as well, and they all talk to themselves........

I live independently. I own a home. I'm in a relationship and engaged....my fiance found it amusing how Saturday night after several beers I sat on the floor fixated on the threads of a screw for three hours.......

I think it's totally possible for people with Asperger's and other ASD's to live successful lives.....Isn't Bill Gates supposed to have Asperger's? That's not to say we don't have difficulties to overcome (I've got some executive function issues and a mood disorder).

I actually was given a poor prognosis when I was diagnosed as a child with autism. I kinda feel like I proved everyone wrong.

MsBehaviour
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Apr 2008, 1:41 am

Sublyme wrote:
I actually was given a poor prognosis when I was diagnosed as a child with autism. I kinda feel like I proved everyone wrong.

Good on you girl!

Here's our story: http://www.nzlistener.co.nz/issue/3486/ ... squad.html

ManErg
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 6:46 pm

MsJ wrote:
bobert wrote:
I feel like I've out smarted the system.

Yesss! :!: That's what we Aspies do best!

-J.

Rather a sweeping generalisation! In truth, probably very few of us manage to do that. On the one hand, eventually I found a career where I get paid a fair bit higher than average. On the other hand, this career makes me miserable as it just isn't what I really would like to do.

In terms of success story, to me life goes in waves: up and down. To say "hey look at me, I have AS and I'm a success" may be true one day, but then the wave turns the other way and you have to do it all again. Maybe it's just me (out of 6 billion people, wow), but a while ago I would have posted: "My life has turned out well, from being a wreck with nothing, no friends, no job etc, I am now happily married with 2.4 children, good career, friends, nice car. See - it can be done if you work at it". Then I move a little along the wave and my marriage is on the rocks, career under serious threat, friends have deserted and I'm in the darkest suicidal depression I've ever had.

So one day I have used Aspergers to achieve success, on another day this same Aspergers has ruined any chance of success. All depends on where you are on the wave.

I know this sounds painfully negative, but the race isn't over, life is a marathon not a sprint. You don't know how your life may be judged until long after it's over. Van Gough sold 1 picture in his lifetime and died a total failure. His wave didn't peak till long after he died. Semmelweis died alone in an asylum, yet only after his death did they realise he'd laid the foundation for the germ theory of modern medicine.

And on other hand, what about the mighty that fall. Take your bow Mr Mussolini!!

love
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 May 2008, 6:05 am

I am not sure if I am considered a "success" by others, but I consider myself to be one: I had dreams as a child and as an adult and I am actively working to realize those dreams while enjoying my life and having fun. I am somewhat organized as an artist, small business owner, wife, mother, and board member on the boards of two not-for-profit organizations.

Sure, not every day is a hike up a snow-capped mountain (I love to hike!); just today I had a rather down day that had me blue all day, but, for me, I know this will always pass. :)

MsBehaviour
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2008, 6:50 am

I will be doing a lot more public advocacy later this year when I officially 'come out' but I'm Helen Baxter, I'm a social entrepreneur, and I have just had the honour of being at a global think-tank alongside some of the most successful people on the planet.

http://www.xmedialab.com/xml_wellington_mentors.html

Being an entrepreneur is all about walking a different path to everyone else and helping as many people as you can along the way. As one great man said:

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that” Goethe