Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

russian
Raven
Raven

14 Oct 2008, 6:27 am

-One thing I can't understand for the life of me, is the trappings of silly movements like Goth and Emo(ugh) gettin attached to this Aspergers Movement. How can something as, popular as, pop counter-kulture be absorbed by the non-social? Clearly anything you can buy at a hot-topic is neither unique nor AS nor anything related, but going through the forums you see a rather large amount of people identifying with said movements.
-It bothers me, because I appreciate the Gothic ethos quite a bit, and even dress mostly in black, (but business black, no silly spikes and strange things) I happily listen to Apocalyptica and Lacrimosa, but I don't belong to a movement for bored kids to wear trench coats at the mall.
-In other words if you want to be like everybody else, why are you attracted to a self-professed group of out-casts? Very curious.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 10:14 am

Either social outcasts want a reason for their interests other than "choice", or the in crowd is looking for a common factor in all socially deviant behaviour.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SoulDriven
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Oct 2008, 11:41 am

Fnord is pretty much dead on. The deviant crowd is much more accepting. I spent my time in such crowds while in high school. None of the Emo and Goth, but the metal/death metal type of people in the early to mid 90's. Makes me feel old thinking back that far.

Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 6:10 pm

I find that the general stereotype of "emo" people generally walk in clusters.

The whole anti-social emo is really a stereotype. Most of the emo's I've seen are always in large groups, and generally I bet they're more interesting than half the people I've met.

The whole "anti-social emo" is just a mere media stereotype that makes no sense.

The music people listen to can really determine their personality, what they wear and how they act. It doesn't influence me, though. Probably because I listen to dragonforce..