Page 1 of 11 [ 170 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 6:06 pm

I am thinking of becoming a christian. Going to church, stop using drugs and living a healthy 'sin free' life.

I believe in God. I think there has to be more out there than just aliens or we comes from monkeys because if that was the case where did monkeys comes from?

I am seriously considering alternative of christian life style and exploring thier beliefs.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 7:00 pm

well you normally read the bible when you're starting out.

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 7:20 pm

mmm, I don't like reading that much. I have a bible and it is not so easy to understand - it just makes it boring.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 7:25 pm

Watch out for wierdoes who think they know better than everyone else. For example, these occasional douch bags that chuckle about another person's belief openly in a way that states "I think that's so stupid, har har". (as I find that pretty annoying myself.)

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 7:27 pm

You could try a different translation. They have them in plain English, not just the King James Version. I assume that's what you're using since you say it's hard to understand.

If you go to a bookstore you can look at the various translations til you find one that makes sense to you.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 7:30 pm

I'd recommend finding a church which is liberal theologically, and inclusive in terms of its membership.

Many churches now offer the Alpha Course or similar, for people who are interested and want to find out more about Christianity. Usually, a group meets for a couple of hours every week to discuss an aspect of faith, and have something to eat.

You could probably find out online if any churches in your area offer Alpha courses. :)

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 7:36 pm

liberal theologically? i wouldn't recommend such churches.

LolaGranola
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Feb 2009, 8:24 pm

Congratulations.

Brook-lynn20
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Feb 2009, 8:45 pm

Start out in the New Testament first. And it's true there's many versions. There's even amusing things in the bible said. It doesn't have to be boring.

And :D

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 8:52 pm

Postperson wrote:
liberal theologically? i wouldn't recommend such churches.

No?

Thinking about it, it's entirely up to BellaDonna to decide which theological approach is most appealing to her. :)

It's very postive step she's taking and I wish her all the best with it! :D

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 9:03 pm

Good for you! :D You ought to join the Catholic Church. It'll take awhile to get used to, but it's very nice.

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 9:05 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
Good for you! :D You ought to join the Catholic Church. It'll take awhile to get used to, but it's very nice.

No never a Catholic Church. They kiss the floor and do all this weird s**t you don't need to.

Detren
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Feb 2009, 9:27 pm

My suggestion is to visit a couple and find one you feel semi-comfortable with. You will want to find one that actually teaches you something, or you feel would teach you something. Before you leave ask for a "statement of faith" to make sure you could agree with everything they stand for before joining.

zebedee
Toucan
Toucan

08 Feb 2009, 9:42 pm

BellaDonna wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:

No never a Catholic Church. They kiss the floor and do all this weird sh** you don't need to.

They lack the direct line to god that you should have if you accept jesus as your saviour. If you arent much of a reader there's a number of versions of the bible available as audio books. Including one read by James earl Jones (yes darth f*****g vader!! !) it's great!

I'm yet to find a church I click with, I'm a believer but I think anything but the most liberal church would view me as a heretic for my conspiratorial political views and mistrust of authority (even though the bible is there to teach us not to trust the works of man).

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 9:51 pm

zebedee wrote:
If you arent much of a reader there's a number of versions of the bible available as audio books. Including one read by James earl Jones (yes darth f***ing vader!! !) it's great!

NIIIICE.

Or, if you're an otaku like me, there are a couple of Bibles out there that illustrate select Biblical stories (Exodus, life of Christ, etc) in manga-style graphics sections. A girl at my church has one. Just goes to prove that manga isn't all vampires and giant robots, it can even be used to tell God's stories! Go Nippon!

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 11:03 pm

...and also there's 'bible commentaries' which are usually a plain english review and summary type of thing...cliffnotes?