Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Nostromos
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Dec 2009, 12:28 am

I don't enjoy much of anything, must force myself to work every day, and I'm tired most of the time. This is despite having a kind of cool job designing posters and doing gopher work in a multimedia office. This mental and spiritual torpor is just how it's been for me since I graduated college about nine years ago, has been getting worse. I do enjoy drawing, but it's very difficult to get started. I do my best work when I'm a little distracted and not imposing any expectations on myself. I exercise almost every day and take multivitamins, Omega-3 pills, and Piracetam (a supposed "cognitive enhancer"). I was prescribed Adderall, I'm hoping that stuff helps. If it makes things worse then I'll just stop it.

It's demoralizing and exhausting when you can't go anywhere without being able to hide your emotions. For instance, running some errands at the grocery and video stores: That girl's incredibly hot, don't look at her -- oh crap, I almost knocked that stand over, great -- that guy may be big, but don't be intimidated, it's not like he's coming at you with a knife -- whoops, I think I just shot a dirty look at that person because I'm angry and desperately want to tell someone how difficult this all is -- oh s**t, teenage girls, run away -- Okay fine they think I'm nauseating, why do I care? Distract yourself with something OOH a book about cameras, sure, whatever -- here's that woman with the messed-up face who's always nice, be nice to her, be nice to her, s**t I think I grimaced at her -- great, that'll come back to you -- I want to scream and beat the hell out of something -- did that chick just say "get out of my face" at me? I wasn't even looking at her -- don't indulge in homicidal fantasies -- don't do it -- too late -- concentrate on breathing, trust that what you need isn't from other people.

RJD59
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jan 2010, 8:21 pm

I am 50 years old and disabled, life is so boring and it drives me nuts at times. After three failed marriages, I gave up on all of that, just couldn't figure out the games. I live alone and am pretty much isolated.

iquanyin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2010, 8:57 pm

nostromos, you write well! (i used to edit). you put me right inside your head. not easy to do that with any art form.

sorry your're not feeling as you'd like to, but all i can say is: impressive writing.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 1:03 am

I am feeling that way right now.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Snazzlestick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jan 2010, 1:18 am

Very. I don't think my life is heading anywhere.

BornToDie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jan 2010, 9:40 am

it is life's joke being played on us.

you see, life is about relationships. it is relationships, being connected to and interacting with other people, that gives life meaning and purpose. as we all too well know being an aspie makes relationships one of the biggest challenges in life. that which everyone needs the most is most difficult to obtain for an aspie. the challenge, then, is to work on achieving and maintaining relationships that help give your life meaning and purpose.

i keep trying. it is a roller coaster for me. i have no friends to speak of. i belong to a few social groups but have little interest in socializing with them. they are NTs who are mostly overweight, slovenly, dull, and of average or slightly below average intelligence with little interest in having any intellectual conversation or doing any even moderately physically challenging activities.

it seems to me most NTs would rather avoid any intellectually stimulating conversations in social settings. i would rather avoid mundane conversations which have little practical purpose. i guess that's part of being an aspie.

i did go to an HFA support group once but it seems their idea of "high functioning" means IQ of 70 to 80. what a joke!

Nostromos
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jan 2010, 10:47 pm

thank you, iquanyin!

Quote:
you see, life is about relationships. it is relationships, being connected to and interacting with other people, that gives life meaning and purpose.

You can have relationships with other people without really interacting with them. Get really skilled at something that doesn't need much interaction, that's what I think I need to do. Flash development and animation is my thing. Not very good at it yet, but I'm confident I can be, which is about 80% of it right there. Giving a voice to a part of human experience that's never had a voice before is profound, too.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 11:32 pm

With life ?? Not in the least ...
I am however bored by what passes for art these days, and of course politics.
But as I grow older, I keep stumbling over more and more fascinating side-stories of history. I'm a big fan of WWII History, and the treasure trove that exists there untouched by the movies ...
The same with sports cars, if I had J K Rowling's money I would finally be able to buy and drive all the fascinating sports cars that exist, going back to the 1900's.
BOOKS ! !! It depresses me that I'd don't have hours and hours to sit down and read all the authors I want to read.
Bored with life ?? Can't imagine it ....

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

11 Feb 2010, 4:44 am

All I can say is that sometimes I feel bored and sometimes I enjoy life, this is all I can say.

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2010, 5:07 pm

Bored with stupid people pursuing pointless stupid things.
Bored with not being allowed room to be.
Bored with boredom and hiding in my room and books.
Bored. Bored. Bored....

If I am not to be allowed a gracious life at least allow me a gracious exit.

haruka
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Mar 2010, 12:15 pm

i think life is rather boring too.
i find it hard to imagine living for another 40 years.
to conquer that, i have found a lot of new hobbies.
i think and hope all the hobbies will help stave off the boredom until one day i die. and knowing my body and mind, that day will be far far far far in the future.
my new hope is to learn everything ever.
this will be a tough goal. no point in only learning a few things.
quantum physics here i come.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 1:53 pm

Not at the moment. I've been there though. You have to continually find new things to do with yourself.

FredOak3
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Mar 2010, 10:25 am

When that happens it usually means I've burned out my current obsession and it's time to find a new one or go back to an old one for a while.

musicboxforever
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 11:50 am

Yeah, I'm bored with life at the moment. My job is only occasionally interesting. From time to time I get to update the company website and add new pages and my bosses are really impressed with what I can do. Occasionally I get a bit of graphic design to do, I've just finished making a new company brochure, but mostly it is mundane, answering the phone, doing admin. I have nothing to do this afternoon. Yawn. I am allowed on the internet though, which keeps me from falling asleep.

I keep thinking I should just do something about it. But I am struggling financially at the moment. they say money isn't everything, but I can't afford to do much. I started exercise classes, which I really enjoy and that cheered me up alot, but I can only afford to go now and then.
I would love to have guitar lessons. I am vaguely ok at playing the guitar, but I feel like I have hit a wall. But I can't afford lessons.
I want to travel more, but I can't afford to and I don't have anyone to go with.
I want to take up skiing, but I can't afford to.

I am not living my life as me. I am a much more interesting person than the shy girl that people see, but I feel trapped and that leads me into moments of despair that turn into days and weeks and months and years.

I feel like I am going to move house again sometime this year. Every few years I move, just for a change. Most people I know can't understand why I move around so much and say that I am brave to make such a change. The truth is, I'm just bored. Moving gives me something to do. I love looking for a house and looking forward to moving. Then organising hiring a van and then making a day of getting people to help me and then making bacon rolls for everyone. then I get loads of attention from people who want to see my new house. then after a few months they all disappear and then I get bored and move again.

I get what others are saying about relationships being the fabric of life. I feel like I need maybe just one or two deep relationships so that I could have someone to visit places with. That is why I am so hung up on finding a man. I want to share my life with someone that enjoys the things that I do. I did fall for someone a few years ago that I felt that I can share things with, but he was 20 years older than me and wanted someone more age appropriate. He found someone and I see their holiday photos on facebook and I wish that I could travel more. It is ridiculous to compare my life to his, he is older and has more money than me and someone to go with. I am at the beginning of my journey. There is no comparison that is logical.

I'm going to stop now, I feel like I'm starting to waffle.

Rh
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Mar 2010, 9:09 am

At times I feel the same way. I love writing and reading, but after a useless, thankless, invisible workday, I get home pretty discouraged everyday. Discouraged about how my life has turned out. I was always told I was "strange", "weird", etc. as if they were bad things. I have lived in different places, done various jobs, from working on the fields to waiting tables, barista, to newspaper reporter, teacher and now banking.

I live in a big city and never really go out, since I don't like crowds. The noise and crowd makes my head spin. I have been invited to parties by people who know me. Sometimes I go, and then I never get invited again, because I don't like to be talking to everybody and just keep to myself. Then I leave at the first chance I get.

I do have a few best friends who live away from where I am. My best friend here moved away with his girlfriend, now wife, a few years ago.

Anyway, long winded diatribe, sorry guys. Now you see why I don't really have friends. :) But yeah, life is pretty crappy, and at this point I am just riding it out. Only doing this because I have a lovely 12-year-old daughter from my failed marriage. And am always waiting for her to call. Her mother won't let her talk much with me because I am "not right".

Quetzkotl
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Mar 2010, 9:50 pm

Yeah, bored and lonely. I think I need a new obsession, too. It's so nice to wake up in the middle of the night on fire with new ideas and want to race to the computer to get it all down. The down times in between are so depressing. I'm married, and I think my husband and I get along quite well, but I wish I had other friends too. Also, it seems all we talk about are the kids and autism. He's kind of obsessed with autism right now. I like learning more about it, but I wish I could talk about the other stuff going on in my head too. It seems to bore him. I feel like a useless lump right now, really.