Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Miyah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 6:57 am

I am 28 and I live alone and I have been turning to alcohol more lately whenever I feel really rejected by someone or even when I feel bullied or humiliated. I have been known to drink a whole bottle of wine or more than one beer when someone else is not around. So, I am going to have to stay away from alcohol 100 %. However, I have several unopened wine bottles in my house and I would like to find a way to get rid of the wine bottles.

Poppycocteau
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jul 2010, 7:34 am

I'm sorry to hear that - but it's good that you have identified and accepted the problem early on, and are taking steps to correct it.

As for getting rid of the bottles, just pour them down the sink, use them in cooking, or give them to someone as a gift.

gardengirl414
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jul 2010, 9:21 am

Miyah wrote:
So, I am going to have to stay away from alcohol 100 %.

All or nothing? I've tried that approach - it didn't work well for me personally, but it may for you.
Not that I was an "alcholic" (and from your description, it doesn't necessarily sound like you are one either) - but I did have some issues with using alcohol as a "social" mechanism if that makes any sense.

I did have to use that approach with smoking - previous attempts at quitting were always sabatoged by having one "here or there", which then opened the door to starting smoking full time again. I finally realized that I simply couldn't do that, that I needed to stay away from cigarettes completely.

The thing that did help was figuring out how to better deal with the emotions that I was having - I do still have a drink here and there, but it's now the exception rather than the norm.

marynewport
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Jul 2010, 12:22 pm

I sure have had my drug and alcohol abuse problems. I was basically either self medicating and\or thrill seeking. I have had to take the 100 percent abstinance rout. I have been prescribed three medications which cover my problems well, and my need for drugs and alcohol has vanished. I feel great on a daily basis now.

marynewport
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Jul 2010, 12:35 pm

I sure have had my drug and alcohol abuse problems. I was basically either self medicating and\or thrill seeking. I have had to take the 100 percent abstinance rout. I have been prescribed three medications which cover my problems well, and my need for drugs and alcohol has vanished. I feel great on a daily basis now.

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 4:19 pm

Miyah wrote:
I am 28 and I live alone and I have been turning to alcohol more lately whenever I feel really rejected by someone or even when I feel bullied or humiliated. I have been known to drink a whole bottle of wine or more than one beer when someone else is not around. So, I am going to have to stay away from alcohol 100 %. However, I have several unopened wine bottles in my house and I would like to find a way to get rid of the wine bottles.

You don't sound like your bad about it at all, I've been drinking 3-9 beers a day for the past two weeks :wink:

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 5:02 pm

I'm pretty much in the same situation right now except that the wine never lasts long enough for me to have a lot of it around. I'd recommend giving it away or dumping it entirely. If you leave around for cooking there is too much of a temptation to have a drink on a bad day.

For almost a year I took the approach of "I'll only drink when I get together with friends" This was fine as I never over indulge when I am out with friends and it also limited my drinking to no more than once a week or two. Unfortunately I went through a period of a lot of stress and I knew a bit of wine at night would "help" So now I'm back to occasionally drinking too much and I know I need to cut back or cut it out entirely. Like you, it's sometimes an entire bottle of wine or a two or three beers.

Cutting it out 100% may be the best option, although I don't seem to have enough of a dependency on it that I can't do without it for long stretches. It's just that, so long as I'm drinking a little, there is always the chance of drinking a little more.

Some of the things that i have found help me avoid alcohol is exercise and making a direct and concerted effort to do something interesting in the evenings. Even something like an hour long walk will make me feel better both emotionally and physically and make me less interested in knocking myself senseless. Also when I am doing something creative or at least interesting, I am always much happier and I have less of a desire to mentally drop out.

I guess the real hard part is dealing with the pain, depression and loneliness that just seems to be an inherent part of Asperger's syndrome. Not having adequate emotional support can eat at you and it seems that drinking is a reasonable solution. But using alcohol to get away from the pain seems to only make it worse in the long run. If any one has some good techniques for keeping from drinking too much, I could certainly use the suggestions.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 3:22 am

The more depressed I get the more I drink.

Will it kill me? Who cares? I don't like life anyway or I wouldn't get so depressed.

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 6:39 am

Hi everyaspy,
I suggest pouring all and any intoxicating lubricants down the drain asap!

My problem is that it has become part of my routine.
I am not addicted to alcohol,
I am addicted to going into the shop and looking at the pretty girls,
putting my purchase in my bag and calculating the exact change.
Sneaking it up to my room outside of my mothers stern gaze
and then imbibing the contents until I am in delicious haze
Staggering into the shower later and hoping I don't fall over and crack my head open
is just part of the heady rush I am not even consciously aware of when I am drunk.

:drunken:

Wombat wrote:
The more depressed I get the more I drink.

Will it kill me? Who cares? I don't like life anyway or I wouldn't get so depressed.

Well, I'm bipolar, and I've drunk myself through the highs and lows, pretty much all my life, since I've been able to keep down this revolting substance.
I drink the same whether I'm high or low,
and it doesn't make a difference.

Tell us, is it that you love life, and feel that you have failed her
or that you love life, and feel that she has failed you?