Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2008, 10:33 pm

I'm younger than 30 but didn't want to use the other adult forum because well just go check it out. :twisted: Anyway been living in people's houses for the past 6 mos paying rent. I'm messy and of course just have my room to keep my stuff in and iron in etc. I wish I had more space but not for now. anyway my room before wass decent sized. now regular/perhaps slightly small. ayway i was a mess then and a mess now. can never motivate myself to clean. plus all the plastic bags from grocerys pile up and I take them back to the store to recycle them. found a solution to that. bought a cloth bag at trader joe's. I'll buy another one too. but have forgotten them. I think that'll change. still have a bunch of empty water bottles in my car to take to the store to get 5 cents back or whatever per bottle. change in a bag in my car which I haven't put into roles for no matter how long? the mess does bother me. a little messy is fine but this much not so much. who else is annoyed by their messy rooms?

-HL Mencken

-as of now official dx is ADHD (inattentive type) but said ADD (314.00) on the dx paper, PDD-NOS and was told looks like I have NLD

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 11:49 pm

I think we get to blame this on "executive dysfunction".

I've been messy my entire life too. And it has caused some tension with family and roommates.

BKBJONES
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2008, 12:12 am

OMG I am totally messy and don't care at all. Never have, never will. BUT...I do know where everything is. Just because it isn't in some sort of order doesn't mean I dunno where it is. I just have a different order than others.

youknowandy
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Dec 2008, 2:16 am

i have my own house but only clean my room once every couple years.

ablomov
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2008, 3:58 am

I can appear to live and work in jumbled environments, its because I have so much stuff. Everything is exactly where it should be. I hate things put away. Some things have been on shelves ten and twenty years un-touched. There can be piles of books on the floor, too many for the shelves.

However, I am not dirty or grubby or unclean. I wash my hands a lot, wear clean clothes and my hands and nails are scrupulously clean. However I am not too familiar with the vacuum, luckily my wife is. I'm the garden man, of which we have a big one.

I find it very difficult to do any regular housekeeping, tho worktops and sink are clean - as is the bathroom, so I suppose I'm midway.

katiemonster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2008, 9:21 am

I'm a complete disaster when it comes to house keeping. I don't have a lot of stuff, but I used to. I'd let everything pile up and then go completely OCD and arrange and clear out everything. My daughter is the same way (we're very much the same) she really could care less and then get a spark of energy and organize EVERYTHING.

But other than the random cleaning binges... it gets pretty bad.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 12:58 pm

guilty.

I can't do stacks of things or put things 'away', because I have piss poor executive (clinically). There is only a limited amount of lateral space i.e. predominantly the floor so it turns into a mess pile. However mentally ‘put away’ things often cause me more headache than mess pile, because at least I know I can rummage in the mess pile and 2/3 times it is there. It is not 100% like that of course, but traditional storage does often make things worse. I wish I could get it together.

I'll tell you a funny story. When I was renting a room I was supposed/allowed to use the communal space such as the living room area, but I only ever used my room, bathroom and kitchen as much was possible. Much of this was because of social reasons but also I didn't want to f**k something up somehow. I kind of took this ethos to an extreme level, and it ended up backfiring on me. See, I didn't use their pots and pans, plates, cutlery and kettle even though I was allowed to (but I did use their hover and ironing board, washer, cooker, etc). Because I kept my iron in my room, it was constantly transferring back and forth to do the ironing. One day I came back down and was juggling many things and consequently placed the iron in a rather precarious place whilst it was still warm. It ended up falling over and melting a nice iron shape into the carpet :oops: :lol:

I actually did some negotiation to save my deposit. I gave the guy a desk and draws I bought, which I wouldn't have been able to take with me anyway.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 3:46 pm

I'm pretty bad at executive functioning as well. I love minimalism but somehow my flat is always crammed with stuff. the few pieces of furniture that I have- mostly shelfs, cupboards and other types of storage space, are always empty, while stuff that should be nicely put away in them lies scattered on the floor. I used to have two armchairs, now I only have one and a stack of clothes where the other used to be :wink: :oops:

oh and you should see my windows :oops: I only wash them when I get a phone call from the neighbours across the road who actually offer help with cleaning them just to spare themselves the view of the dirt lol.

cleaning the fridge is also something I should do more often. when I run out of space I take a big bin-bag and after a few minutes it's full with empty containers that I've been keeping in the fridge for ages.

I occasionally hire someone to clean up, usually a 50-something lady from Ukraine and each time she comes in she makes the cross sign and says a little prayer lol

Samara
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2008, 12:05 am

Before I was diagnosed with BPD. I was diagnosed by two psychiatrist with ADHD. Which is very interetsing because on testing by a Neuropsychologist it showed my executive functioning ability was superior.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 4:52 am

j0sh wrote:
I think we get to blame this on "executive dysfunction".

I've been messy my entire life too. And it has caused some tension with family and roommates.

Same here..It is not that i just don't care...it is that I am simply overwhealmed and cannot focus on cleaning for any length of time.
I live in a big cluttered warehouse, and I am a packrat and my partner is a packrat..and he does not clean...for the same reasons...except he seems to care less....so between the two of us, it is just a horrible proliferation. It is hard to devote ones self to cleaning when there is no support...and you are the only one doing it....AND it is simply difficult to focus on to boot...

I could spend every hour of every day cleaning and organizing and the place would STILL be a mess and things would continue to pile up.

it drives me nuts it does.

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 6:36 am

I'm naturally very messy. But I counter this by trying to have very few posessions, anything that I feel I don't need I like to get rid of. And if I want something I think carefully about buying it.

I like mess :D mess is more comfortable, but it is nice to live in a tidy place.

A good way to clean is to break the job into little jobs, I write down what I want to do and do I job one by one.

Samara
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2008, 8:18 am

I am a neat freak and obsessive and have lists every where or I am disorganised and unbelievably messy. Its either one way or the other.
A few years ago if something didnt go right or i couldnt find something I would completely lose it and go into a rage and then start crying. I have had to learn not to be such a perfectionist but now I am so disorganised. It kind of feels like everyhting is ruined.

notlurkingwell
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2008, 1:35 pm

I married a neatfreak. He does it (and I feel guilty enough to at least *try* sometimes)

Problem solved.

:lol:

notlurkingwell
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2008, 1:37 pm

MR_BOGAN wrote:
I'm naturally very messy. But I counter this by trying to have very few posessions, anything that I feel I don't need I like to get rid of. And if I want something I think carefully about buying it.

I like mess :D mess is more comfortable, but it is nice to live in a tidy place.

Are you me?

BastetsEye
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Dec 2008, 9:54 pm

I live with my mum, But our relationship if very roomate like rather that mother/Daughter (we're both agorophobic, she's worse though, so I go pay the rent, go shopping etc) we tend to live independent of each other, aside from that which she can't do

However I am very messy (not delibrately, I'm lesss stressed when it's tidy,) but it's like paranormal event it just seems to happen (anyone know pigpen from charlie brown, like that but with rooms,) honestly it just seems to happen, even I'm amazed looking around at the place and seeing what i've done.

My room looks like a disaster area, there's book everywhere, dirty clothes bags and boxes of....I don't even remember, (there's even I loathed to admit a bit of cat sick that I have yet to get around to cleaning up) I have to leap over things to get to my bed, really. But I just get over whelmed when I try to tidy it up, It just seems like to much!

My mum on the other hand is a neat freak, Monica from Friends on drugs! When she's well (and she's frequently ill these daysdue to numerous health problems) anyway since I do the shopping she tends to tidy up my mess in the sitting room...which makes me feel guilty, she keeps asking if I do it to get back at her for somethings that happeed in my childhood, but I do try ....it just genuinely seems to just happens.

Moop
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Right here! Ya! Right behind the monitors glass! Get me out of here!

05 Dec 2008, 10:04 pm

Is anybody going to care that you made your bed? Are the bed police going to come to check your bed, and report you to the authorities? No. There's no purpose in cleaning.

The only thing I keep organized is my kitchen pantry, which is the entire garage. (I have an obsession with cooking equipment and baking a lot.)