Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

swimmingfish
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Sep 2011, 6:07 am

Good for you Wayne!

I think we all given different abilities at birth what matters is the attitude and you got a real positive one so good luck!

really thankful for all the replies and keep that smile on your face :)

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 4:06 pm

swimmingfish wrote:
all I want is that he tells me HE KNOWS and HE UNDERSTANDS why and who I'm running around for. That'll do the job.

So it sounds as though really what you want is to know that he appreciates you and everything that you do for him? Have you tried telling him this?

I suppose as another resort you could simply walk away for a little while?

Also, I notice you're in Lancashire too, like me. I'm east-central Lancashire (Ribble Valley). :)

Mishmash
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Sep 2011, 10:27 am

swimmingfish wrote:
He thinks people shouldn’t do anything for one another unless been asked. When I was overwhelmed by all the financial worries and housework when I was 8 month pregnant, I was all in tears and I asked him ‘how come you never helped?’ he simply replied ‘you never asked’. He was cross with me because I was ‘expecting him to read my mind’.

I don't know if this will help or not, but this is not a specific AS trait, this is a bloke thing. I have mentioned on another thread before about how women appreciate unsolicited offers of advice and assistance because in a woman's mind this means that the person has anticipated her unspoken need and worked to meet that need. The woman takes this to mean that the person cares for her and has her best interests at heart.

If a man is offered unsolicited help/advice he will be offended. He will take the intervention to mean that the helping person thinks he is a complete incompetent and unable to solve his own problems and tend to his own business effectively on his own. Therefore a man will generally not offer help or advice (unless he wants to deliberately belittle that person) unless explicitly asked to do so. Annoying as it may be, your man is actually complimenting you by not offering help. He is sending you the message that he is fully confident of your capabilities to manage alone (sadly this course of action is infuriating for women, as you have discovered).
Read "Men are from Mars, Woman are from Venus" for more info.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2011, 12:00 pm

swimmingfish wrote:
I'm not suicidal but I'm very very depressed and also see no way out in my 13 years of marriage.
No doubt that he loves me and we both agreed that he might be AS (undiagnosed).
But this piece of information doesn’t provide any well-needed comfort for me.
I sometimes just want to quit, but I know something is good inside him although this good doesn’t always come with the support that I need. He loves his family too but he cannot easily ‘divert’ his attention so he often prioritizes his own agenda before his family. As in it is an ‘accident’.
This is his love. This is his best. He has no other intention but love me and I believe that is the truth.
We have been sleeping separately on and off for a few years now (since 2007). I've given up on trying because trying to ‘staying close’ as a couple is just too painful for me.
By giving up pursuing the ideal - intellectual and physical intimacy I freed myself from seeing us as a married couple. I invented this scenario – where we’re just friends, we share a home and a child but we’re just 2 separate individuals. This makes me less upset and less angry. Getting rid of these negative emotions was the most liberating thing I’ve ever done and very beneficial for my AS spouse.
I apologized to him and stressed that the problems that I have is not knowing how to cope with his inability to seek to my needs (and our daughter’s emotional needs as well). I cannot offer anything else other than being his friend and keeping peace at the cost of me stop being his wife. (No expectations no arguments)
I know he’s not happy about this but nobody should live with frequent arguments and shouting. ‘I don’t mind whatever makes you happy’ he says. I especially don’t fancy continue being "expected" to explain things (relationships/ people/ our child’s reaction/ how not to be late/ how not to be rude etc) to him because the more I try to fulfil this role as a teacher/ therapist the more I resent the role – it killing off all the romantic feelings I had for him. I tried many times to rekindle but recently I found myself hated the whole thing because some of his attitude and doings still send me to the same emotional roller-coaster ride.
I’m sad that I only found out about Asperger’s 2 years ago when I feel I cannot turn back or reconciliation/ rekindle our marital relationship anymore. I've lost all that feelings for him.
As I admitted, the weaknesses are all mine. If I’m a stronger woman I will not let his inabilities drag me down. I should be able to ‘simply explain the problem to him without getting upset and tell him exactly what to do’ as he put it. I still find some of the things he said and done unforgivable. I have bags of problems of my own I really cannot carry him anymore.
I know he loves me. I know if I turn around, he’ll happily resume our old relationship.
But I don’t.
Is it wrong to want to divorce my spouse because I no longer willing to be his therapist/ mentor/ only friend/ wife? I suppose what I’m really asking is I want to free myself from this huge duty, please don’t hate me.

No it's not wrong to divorce him. If it's dragging you down and making you depressed because he can't give you what he wants, then divorce is the option if he is unwilling to work at it.

swimmingfish
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Sep 2011, 12:10 pm

Hi Tequila

thank you for your reply :)

Quote:
I suppose as another resort you could simply walk away for a little while?

This is a very good trick to do when I'm getting really upset or wound up about things...

Ribble Valley is a nice place, me over the Pennine

Mattsmum
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Sep 2011, 12:19 pm

Hi Swimmingfish. Your post struck a big chord with me. In fact it almost made me laugh out loud. When my husband realises he has really hurt my feelings, he also cleans. We had a row the other day and he vacuumed the whole house! The more upset I am the more practical stuff he does to show me his is sorry. But he reverts back to the same behaviours. I share your frustration because I know it will never get better and do I just accept the same cycle and stay unhappy? I don't think I could ever bring myself to leave him because I love him and would never want to break up our family (we have small children). I have posted today on the general discussion board about this. Good luck. x

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2011, 5:06 pm

swimmingfish wrote:
This is a very good trick to do when I'm getting really upset or wound up about things...

It is; but I was thinking for maybe a little longer than that. A few days, perhaps, so that the man you live with might better be able to appreciate all that you do?

Ribble Valley is a nice place, me over the Pennine[/quote]

I take it you're more East Lancashire then? :)

swimmingfish
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Sep 2011, 2:45 pm

Mishmash:

Quote:
I don't know if this will help or not, but this is not a specific AS trait, this is a bloke thing.

you are right about this particular one, this is a very blokey trait. I read the book years ago as an attempt to save my marriage. He has a mixture of problems, too. He's long-term unemployed and denies it, he is very slow with completing new tasks and very bad with time, date and names, he keeps in minimal contact with people - friends (3 friends that will call him every now and then) & family, he's completely lost with anything to do with emotions, he doesn't read any subtle body language or facial expression and simply shouts out loud 'what?'....I am not expert but he matches lots of the criterion on the questionnaire in Barbara Jacob's book. Thank you so much for the advice though :)

[b]

swimmingfish
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Sep 2011, 2:52 pm

League Girl:

Quote:
No it's not wrong to divorce him. If it's dragging you down and making you depressed because he can't give you what he wants, then divorce is the option if he is unwilling to work at it.

Thank you for that, I think you're right. It isn't wrong to divorce him or leave him, it is about how I leave him. Ever since I decided to leave him, I feel more positive and I found more power to handle things positively. We are engaging in more conversation now and discussing ways to maintain a good friendship where we can support each other to bring up our child together. After all, I just wanted peace and happiness. I'm working on our post-marriage friendship now.

swimmingfish
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Sep 2011, 2:56 pm

Mattsmum wrote:
Hi Swimmingfish. Your post struck a big chord with me. In fact it almost made me laugh out loud. When my husband realises he has really hurt my feelings, he also cleans. We had a row the other day and he vacuumed the whole house! The more upset I am the more practical stuff he does to show me his is sorry. But he reverts back to the same behaviours. I share your frustration because I know it will never get better and do I just accept the same cycle and stay unhappy? I don't think I could ever bring myself to leave him because I love him and would never want to break up our family (we have small children). I have posted today on the general discussion board about this. Good luck. x

Mattsmum, yes I share your heartfelt lol too.
I wish you and your family all the very best and may strength and love be with you all the time x