Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2011, 1:45 pm

PJango wrote:
I guess theres no way to get around how time consuming this is, keeping track of the discretionaries.

Ive got the core bills almost automatic now (either automatic deduct from checking or bill pay) and discretionaries come out of a separate checking.

QUESTION:
For those of you who keep money in reserve for things, how do you keep track of what its for? Each month i try to hold out some for enevitable auto repair, for example, and also life insur that is due once a year. When its sitting in one account i lose track of the subtotals.

Do u use quicken or some other software?

No, And this has saved my ---- several times over the years: I never have used any software but my own head. I write down what is in the saving account, then I deduct whatever important bill or anticipated necessity - you know, I actually pretend that I've already spent it, and then I enter the amount leftover in the savings book thingy.
More importantly for my survival and that of my kid: that's the $ figure I carry around in my head as "money available" - not the larger amount that happens to be in there at the moment.

patiz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Dec 2011, 7:34 pm

I use open office spreadsheets to work out my budget, I find it easier to understand it in black and white, rather than as a verbal comment. People used to tell me I had to save but I really didn't understand what I had to save, until I saw the numbers, then I could relate income to outgoings.

LrdVapid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2011, 8:53 pm

Quote:
Actually, we are separated...and it scares me to think of relying on any maintenance or child support the way he mismanages stuff. I may always have to remotely manage for him.

I don't know how it works where you live, but I have requested child support to go through the county. They receive it from her and send it to me. At least that is how it is supposed to work once it gets started. I didn't want to have to deal with her. If she doesn't pay, they will know and be asking her what the problem is.

Aaron

PS If you want a program to help manage your money, just google opensource money programs. I know there are a few out there. There is also a website called mint.com which helps you track your spending I believe. If you are separated, start getting your name off of any accounts he is using. The larger banks will take money from say, your joint account, to make his account good should he overdraw. Plus, you don't want to get stuck with any debt he may run up in the meantime. Painful learning experience, let me tell you.

xmh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2011, 4:14 am

Could you use automatic bank transfers to move his "spending" money into his account at regular intervals? This would probably be best done at frequent intervals rather than in large blocks such as monthly.

Quote:
if he gets gas on the weekend, the pay at the pump 'pends' $1 only....he can look online and it would look like he has more money than he really does!

My (UK) bank account displays an account balance and and "available" balance. When a purchase gets authorisation the available balance drops, but the main balance only reduces when the transaction is finalised.

Could you get his account downgraded to one that gives no credit whatsoever, declining transactions if funds are not available? A very basic cashcard (without debit card/cheque facility) would prevent him from overspending.

Quote:
He put a business expense on our personal debit card

How often does he have to make business transactions?

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 11:56 pm

xmh wrote:
Could you use automatic bank transfers to move his "spending" money into his account at regular intervals? This would probably be best done at frequent intervals rather than in large blocks such as monthly.

Quote:
if he gets gas on the weekend, the pay at the pump 'pends' $1 only....he can look online and it would look like he has more money than he really does!

My (UK) bank account displays an account balance and and "available" balance. When a purchase gets authorisation the available balance drops, but the main balance only reduces when the transaction is finalised.

Could you get his account downgraded to one that gives no credit whatsoever, declining transactions if funds are not available? A very basic cashcard (without debit card/cheque facility) would prevent him from overspending.

Quote:
He put a business expense on our personal debit card

How often does he have to make business transactions?

I am currently collecting SSDI. I have had issues most of my life handling money, even before I was diagnosed last year. I make sure my rent is paid as soon as the money hits the bank, then my cell phone bill (I use a pay as you go iPhone 4S I purchased from virgin mobile, as well as payment plan for a credit bureau for what I owe AT&T. Since I was diagnosed with Asperger's, as well as bipolar and anxiety disorder, I have signed up for Rep Pay via The local Mental Health America chapter, of whom I have yet to hear from. My biggest worry is the students loans, currently valued at $53,000. I did apply for total disability through the u.s. department of education, since a lady in Baltimore successfully had $330,000 forgiven due to Asperger's. I know how to budget, as well as keep a checkbook, but everything with me is almost an emergency. I'm trying to get training through Vocational Rehab so I can bring in a little money, so I can still be a useful human being. I will also do some computer consulting on the side on an ad-hoc cash basis to supplement what I currently bring in. My parents, and the rest of my family consider me a spendthrift, and don't deserve to be given a cent from their funds, since their general attitude is "you made your bed, now lie in it."