Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 7:38 am

i'll talk to anybody [who's not a rightie, as they generally will not abide me] about anything except for sports, politics, religion and new music.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 8:08 am

UnderTheSea wrote:
I detest social 'chit chat.' I don't like it because I do not understand it and I can't effectively deploy it. It seems that social 'chit chat' requires a fairly high level of social awareness since it doesn't contain any meaningful content; and so, when I try to use it or respond to it, I typically appear very awkward. Hence, if possible, I avoid it. Since most conversations are based upon social 'chit chat', I don't talk much at all. When I was younger, at face value, I likely met the criteria for selective mutism.

On the other hand, when there is an opportunity for meaningful conversation, I tend to saturate the conversation with too much content. Unfortunately, I don't realize it until well after everyone else has departed the conversation. I find this aspect exceedingly difficult, if not impossible, to control. And so, I'm often stuck between no contribution or excessive contribution.

This basically.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 8:11 am

I just say things, even if they're not important - for instance, I pointed I'm looking at the ceiling because someone asked me what I'm thinking about. Or I note how I haven't had an exciting week when asked how I am. I don't need a topic in order to keep talking. :P

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Feb 2012, 10:23 am

PiriReis wrote:
Interestingly, since my diagnosis, I have been talking much less and have been much more self conscious of my words. Has this self perception made anyone else pause?

Yes, I am less likely to monologue non-stop like I used to. Yesterday while riding the bus, I witnessed a lively dialogue going on with one of the passengers and the bus driver. I found that while I wanted to chime in, I held back because it would have been too difficult judging when I could speak and for how long. I hadn't that awareness before!

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 5:13 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i'll talk to anybody [who's not a rightie, as they generally will not abide me] about anything except for sports, politics, religion and new music.

This pretty much, with the exception of the "rightie" stuff because I tend to just avoid political talk altogether with rightie's or lefties. And "new music." I'll talk about anything related to music until I'm dead if you let me.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 10:57 pm

MrXxx wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

This pretty much, with the exception of the "rightie" stuff because I tend to just avoid political talk altogether with rightie's or lefties. And "new music." I'll talk about anything related to music until I'm dead if you let me.

i have found that righties know what i am about even if i keep my mouth closed, just by how i look and how i live. and i will talk about OLD music until your ears fall off or you have fled for the hills.

completereject
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Mar 2012, 2:05 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
I start off shy, but if anyone shows interest, I will monologue them to death. :oops: On any subject that happens to come up and then some.

Totally know where you are coming from on the monologue things...I even start monologues on how I am aware I may be annoying them and that I will fail to provide said person with how to prevent me from doing this further lol.

I generally get by but as I am recently self diagnosed I am paying more attention to see where things fit so to speak :)

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 5:51 am

I'm shy around NTs, but talk much around other aspies. I talk about anything and everything we are discussing then

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 5:03 pm

i know that at my olympia aspie meetup tomorrow, i'll not say much but i will be secure in the knowledge that whatever i say, i will be accepted as a fellow aspie therein. :)

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 7:37 pm

auntblabby wrote:
MrXxx wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

i have found that righties know what i am about even if i keep my mouth closed, just by how i look and how i live. and i will talk about OLD music until your ears fall off or you have fled for the hills.

I have a different problem. Righties tend to think I'm a rightie. Lefties think so too. Until either extreme actually starts talking politics with me. Then they both think I'm the opposite. It's annoying, so I just don't talk about it with anyone but very close friends. They're the only ones who get it.

Come to my house. My ears will not fall off, and I won't flee for the hills. I may, at some point, suddenly realize my wife and kids have all left me though.

BTW: What do you consider old?

*Leans back waiting for WP servers to crash when auntyblabby tries to post his reply*

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 9:38 pm

MrXxx wrote:
I have a different problem. Righties tend to think I'm a rightie. Lefties think so too. Until either extreme actually starts talking politics with me. Then they both think I'm the opposite. It's annoying, so I just don't talk about it with anyone but very close friends. They're the only ones who get it.

maybe you're a centrist, then?
MrXxx wrote:
Come to my house. My ears will not fall off, and I won't flee for the hills. I may, at some point, suddenly realize my wife and kids have all left me though. BTW: What do you consider old? *Leans back waiting for WP servers to crash when auntyblabby tries to post his reply*

mindful of collateral computer damage, i will be brief- the music that dr. demento started out with back in the 70s, was mostly OLD- spike jones, homer & jethro, mostly 78 rpm recordings, the majority of which were novelties because that was what sold the most during the depression. i am on a "answer song" kick right now, looking for answer songs or parodies to [the song] "16 tons." they are legion, but very few of 'em are in print or available anywhere on the web.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 8:50 am

auntblabby wrote:
MrXxx wrote:

maybe you're a centrist, then?

More like I have the Apolitical Blues.

auntblabby wrote:
MrXxx wrote:
Come to my house. My ears will not fall off, and I won't flee for the hills. I may, at some point, suddenly realize my wife and kids have all left me though. BTW: What do you consider old? *Leans back waiting for WP servers to crash when auntyblabby tries to post his reply*

mindful of collateral computer damage, i will be brief- the music that dr. demento started out with back in the 70s, was mostly OLD- spike jones, homer & jethro, mostly 78 rpm recordings, the majority of which were novelties because that was what sold the most during the depression. i am on a "answer song" kick right now, looking for answer songs or parodies to [the song] "16 tons." they are legion, but very few of 'em are in print or available anywhere on the web.

Cool stuff!