Page 2 of 9 [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

HankPym
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2007, 8:03 am

Postperson wrote:
the tubes. can you

...That's it That be theone

refresh my memory. i think i used to have a flatmate who had tubes records. was it 'don't touch me there'

HankPym
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2007, 8:07 am

sinsb

...Yr. kid didn't grow 2b a" hippie-hating psycho " , did s/he z/

oldly wrote:
I was a hayseed rube in topeka, kansas, I was 18 years old, 6 months preggers and had walked out on a day pass of the mental institution my parents had finally committed me to, met some folks that were on their way to a little Art and Music fair in Bethel, New York and hitched a ride.
we didn't know when we arrived and had to walk miles to the makeshift stage in the farm pasture because all the roads were closed that we finally got to Woodstock, and were half a million strong and everywhere was the song and the celebration.
I developed kidney stones and was going in and out of labor when I was passing them but I remember, when I heard richie havens break a guitar string and spent forever trying to tune up on the stage, that I was amazed that along with everything else, there was going to be music, too!

it was my first live concert, and all the rest I have been to have paled in comparison.

Merle

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 8:17 am

Yeah, Sins, in comparison with that, pretty much any other concert would come across as a pale imitation... :)

My first concert was back in the early '80s, can't recall the year, when Styx was touring in support of Kilroy Was Here. Cool show, Styx fans don't generally get too out-of-control - the worst fuss I recall was some guy getting pissed at Security for confiscating his stash. (Good thing they did, though - I learned later that second-hand pot smoke makes me stop breathing. Not a good experience.)

My first "club" was one of the last shows at Rock Candy, in Seattle, when Type O Negative played there. I loved the way the bass line vibrated my intestines. Fortunately, I was at the edge of the moshing (small floor, so the pit was everywhere) - I planted my feet and did my impression of a pinball table's bumper, letting the other freaks carom off of me.

Always wanted to see my favorite band, Rush, in concert, but after I learned my reaction to marijuana smoke, I sadly realized that was not to be. A lot of Rush fans are potheads, you see...

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 9:07 am

Early 90's...Lynyrd Skynyrd

In the front row next to the stage directly in front of the speaker...my ears rang for a week. 8O

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 9:19 am

HankPym wrote:

I have no idea. Soon after she was born, social services came into my place and took her from me, and I have never seen or heard of her again. You see, back in the olden days, the State could take "illegitimate" children from "unwed mothers" for their 'own good.'
Now you can understand why I started to become political at this juncture and traveled to Berkeley in the early 70's to organize and take part in the subsequent People's Park riots, Anti War (VietNam) marches and armed ( well, incendiary, anyway) terrorism.

It was personal.

Merle

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 9:25 am

Merle.... :(

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 9:31 am

Danielismyname wrote:
Merle.... :(

yeah, well, Daniel, you can only do what you can do. . . I heard the republican candidates still harping on that one string 'single mothers are having 1/3 of of the babies, now.' well, good for them! i notice they also discourage abortion choice so there is no satisfying them. Still trying to control the 'wild thing' :lol: good luck! nature is stronger than they are, so I wouldn't worry.
thanks.

Merle

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 9:36 am

sinsboldly wrote:
...you can only do what you can do. . .

Ain't that the truth.

Hang tough.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 2:24 pm

1st Punk show Portland, Maine July 12, 1981 featuring:

UXB
SLOW CHILDRENhttp://www.rockinboston.com/slokids.htm
PASTICHE, http://www.rockinboston.com/pastiche.htm

Entrance fee was $3-4$.

1st Arena Rock Concert

Nazareth/Joe Perry Project, November 1(?), 1981

Nazareth was late getting to the show, and Joe Perry played an extended set because of this, and the show finally got over between 2-2:30AM. The PA system was a large ground stacked Line Array, possibly a Meyer Sound with a LOT of 12" drivers.

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 2:33 pm

la muerte , some (local?) punk band
it was more a small festival, can't remember the other bands though,
i do remember there was a boy with long blond hair telling everyone he was jezus' reincarnation

i was bitten and kissed by a boy i fell in love with for the next 3 years

it was a lovely day.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 4:18 pm

rofl the first one i went to was the MONKEYS... and old(ER) women everywhere where throwing panties and bras...

the last one i've had time to go see was more my pace... NIN trent is SO hot ^_^

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 4:21 pm

Beenthere wrote:
Early 90's...Lynyrd Skynyrd

In the front row next to the stage directly in front of the speaker...my ears rang for a week. 8O

FREEEEEBIIIRD :lol:

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 6:39 pm

http://www.myspace.com/rassparrowdailybread
click on the "good seed" link for a cool, mellow song

Coincidentally we are going to their concert tonight, my first purposeful music outing for at least 5 years.

:D

Won't be as good as Lynyrd Skynrd though.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 10:07 pm

Quote:
FREEEEEBIIIRD :lol:

...remember getting my hair singed on that one (at the second concert a few years later)...nothing like having hair past your waist and standing in a crowd of drunken people waving lighters. :lol:

Worth it though. :wink:

HankPym
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2007, 10:40 pm

si

...Oh , I'm sorry .
That said , I don't know that I should kneel and beg your forgiveness for reminding you (anbd you didn't say that I should , so) , since you didn't mention such a development happening , so , I did not think of that one .
I am sorry that that occured .

nsboldly wrote:
HankPym wrote:

I have no idea. Soon after she was born, social services came into my place and took her from me, and I have never seen or heard of her again. You see, back in the olden days, the State could take "illegitimate" children from "unwed mothers" for their 'own good.'
Now you can understand why I started to become political at this juncture and traveled to Berkeley in the early 70's to organize and take part in the subsequent People's Park riots, Anti War (VietNam) marches and armed ( well, incendiary, anyway) terrorism.

It was personal.

Merle

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 10:56 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
I was a hayseed rube in topeka, kansas, I was 18 years old, 6 months preggers and had walked out on a day pass of the mental institution my parents had finally committed me to, met some folks that were on their way to a little Art and Music fair in Bethel, New York and hitched a ride.
we didn't know when we arrived and had to walk miles to the makeshift stage in the farm pasture because all the roads were closed that we finally got to Woodstock, and were half a million strong and everywhere was the song and the celebration.
I developed kidney stones and was going in and out of labor when I was passing them but I remember, when I heard richie havens break a guitar string and spent forever trying to tune up on the stage, that I was amazed that along with everything else, there was going to be music, too!

...waiting for more of THAT story...