Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ducasse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2008, 4:42 pm

have any of the kafka admirers here read any bruno schulz? another strange man who wrote strange stories & another fantastic writer. i think he could be classed in whatever odd miscellaneous group we might put kafka & walser.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 1:10 pm

ducasse wrote:
have any of the kafka admirers here read any bruno schulz? another strange man who wrote strange stories & another fantastic writer. i think he could be classed in whatever odd miscellaneous group we might put kafka & walser.

More literary talent from the Austro-Hungarian Empire lands topic

Here is another Habsburg-era writer, like Franz. As Hawes (2008) wrote in his Kafka book I referenced in my post from the first page of this topic, the area of Europe produced such creative Jewish writers (largely, according to Hawes (2008), because of the political/cultural/economic atmosphere there [see chapter VII, for an analysis of the type of society Kafka lived in--and actually the whole book, by teasing it out). :D I am certainly going to investigate.Thanks, ducasse!

For info on Bruno Shulz, please see this page.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

ducasse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Sep 2008, 5:04 pm

you're welcome! :) there is an odd alienated atmosphere all these writers share, an ability to write about everyday things as if they are very bizarre. i might just dust off my old volume of kafka's short stories & reread - particularly the burrow.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 10:58 am

I've never been a big fan of Kafka, but I've become quite interested. I love to read about Orson Welles, and it turns out the film he said was his favorite was "The Trial". It starred Anthony Perkins and featured some bizarre sets, some of which were real building and some were built for the movie. The fascinating thing is that Welles so identified with this odd little film. He was persecuted as being a failure, yet he's celebrated today as a genius. Did he feel that sort of Kafka alienation? Did he feel left out of 'normalcy'?

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 1:31 pm

No, sorry. I am not keen on Welles (except perhaps his "Othello"). But Welles' Trial has nothing to do with Kafka Perkins is an energetic young fighter (even is he loses). Joseph K. in an internally insecure man who puts up an empty show of arrogance, knowing intimately that he is a loser. His credentials are the membership card of the cyclist associations. He is gradually being captive of the system he pretends to oppose. Every step he takes in his inane defense is a surrender to rules of the game of the system.
I always recommend Kafka's "The Burrow" to understand what is life for an autistic. There is nothing more perfect.

ducasse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2008, 5:55 pm

i'm surprised to hear that about welles. i was under the impression that he had made it because it was the only project he could rustle up funding for, & that he didn't even like kafka. i don't think it's a great movie, but the scenes with welles himself & jeanne moreau are fantastic. some of the scenes were filmed in what is now the musee d'orsay, & was then a disused train station - a very beautiful building.

tahloola
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2008, 9:03 pm

It is strange that I keep coming back to this post - because when I was going to University....(which I dropped out of).... :( -----stupid me!! !

I met a sociology professor....through some roomates....and........

we all became friends (of sorts)...

anyway - for my birthday.....

he gifted me with Kafka's book..."The Trial"....

I was 21 years old at the time....and tried to read it.....all I remember is K.....and just could not grasp it....then...

over the years....I developed this "stay-away" kind of mentality about Kafka.....but now....

I am intrigued....I understand things differently now....I am considering him again...

I mean......Guy....(my professor friend)....PHD...from the Sorbonne....gave it to me "for a reason".....he was very intense about it....

he has long since passed away....(but in honour of his memory)....and maybe in honour of his clarity into my soul....
maybe I should try to read it again.

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 1:15 am

One thing that should be considered in reading Kafka is the "gallows humor" present in all his writings Galgen humor . One thing we might do going to the gallows or to the firing squad is to invent jokes, to poke fun at our proximate death. This is also the attitude of another great writer Thomas Bernhard. The machine of human life is a laughingstock , is ridiculous. The machine will win but is grotesque, and for us death will come anyway, both that the executioner is the machine or a sickness or an accident. The machine (production of crap) has dominated all our life. In "The trial" you have the privilege to see it in all its absurdity. Animals are no subject to the "machine" as we are and their life is not so meaningless as that of us humans. They more near to God or Life (Capital letters).
Same thing holds for Samuel Beckett, Gottfried Jellinek, David Foster Wallace and other great debunkers of human society.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2008, 1:39 pm

ducasse wrote:
i'm surprised to hear that about welles. i was under the impression that he had made it because it was the only project he could rustle up funding for, & that he didn't even like kafka. i don't think it's a great movie, but the scenes with welles himself & jeanne moreau are fantastic. some of the scenes were filmed in what is now the musee d'orsay, & was then a disused train station - a very beautiful building.

I find it fascinating that Welles would single out this film as his favorite. I would guess any of his greats, but this one had a resonance for him. I need to read the story, and watch the film. Typical of me, I find a fact like this, but forget to actually look up the source material.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2008, 11:38 pm

Film and Franz topic

Kafka lived before film became as poular as it is now. he did enjoy theatre, expecially Yiddish language drama and comedy.

I am sure he would have enjoyed Welles, who had a dark side the K man would understand.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 1:33 am

I just finished reading "Investigations of a Dog". That particular story had a very strong resonance with me. More than anything else I’ve ever read.

"I can understand the hesitation of my generation, indeed it is no longer mere hesitation; it is the thousandth forgetting of a dream dreamt a thousand times and forgotten a thousand times; and who can damn us merely for forgetting for the thousandth time?"

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 9:55 am

Come over to the K side topic

In his stories Kafka alluded that each individual is a prison, and is looking for a way out. Yet what will the person find when the key(s) are discovered and the right door is found?

I feel bad for the Investigating Dog. I am not sure he liked what he found. :?

Thanks for writing, Marshall.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 3:15 am

sartresue wrote:
Come over to the K side topic

In his stories Kafka alluded that each individual is a prison, and is looking for a way out. Yet what will the person find when the key(s) are discovered and the right door is found?

I feel bad for the Investigating Dog. I am not sure he liked what he found. :?

Thanks for writing, Marshall.

The encounter with the performing musician dogs was interesting to me. To me the dog goes through a sort of coming of age with regards to awareness. A certain spookiness emerges that isn’t there before. The world gets bigger but it also becomes more daunting, more forlorn, and less tangible. I can relate to that feeling.

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2009, 1:13 pm

If I could summarize my interest in Kafka I would say this: Kafka's
writing is an effort to draw an account of the loneliness of man in
modern society. Modern doesn't mean here the three or four last
centuries, but the whole development of a complex, and as a consequence
of complexity, morally opaque society. an effort which had started
with Flaubert, Kleist and before them perhaps with Kierkegaard (not a
chance that these authors were loved by Kafka). It is a vital reaction
to complexity+opaqueness to look for salvation in a structured
defensive system ("The Burrow" was the last piece Kafka wrote, a kind
of testamentary will). The German title is "Der Bau", the construction.
The defense against an opaque power crashing us is not utopia or
revolution, but the maximum of precision in building defensive walls.

Gentleman
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 May 2009, 1:15 pm

Timberwolf wrote:
I fail to understand how anyone can embrace the abject stupidity and ignorance that is labelled religion. In it's own arguments it is self defeating.

How is it self-defeating?

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 9:50 am

paolo wrote:
If I could summarize my interest in Kafka I would say this: Kafka's
writing is an effort to draw an account of the loneliness of man in
modern society. Modern doesn't mean here the three or four last
centuries, but the whole development of a complex, and as a consequence
of complexity, morally opaque society. an effort which had started
with Flaubert, Kleist and before them perhaps with Kierkegaard (not a
chance that these authors were loved by Kafka). It is a vital reaction
to complexity+opaqueness to look for salvation in a structured
defensive system ("The Burrow" was the last piece Kafka wrote, a kind
of testamentary will). The German title is "Der Bau", the construction.
The defense against an opaque power crashing us is not utopia or
revolution, but the maximum of precision in building defensive walls.

Not a Lonestate star topic

Poor Franz. he was never alone in his life, at least not longer than a few days. The crowdedness of his beloved Prague meant that the solitary life was elusive for him. So for modern Kafka-wannabes who figure Kafka was an end in himself had better read up on his life, and realize he was very much tied to his family and friends, and actually had a desperate fear of being single, and sought out human companionship for whatever reason. He was certainly no hermit, and admirers who try to emulate his supposed loner life are fooling themselves. Still, it is his writing I admire. :D