Page 15 of 17 [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 2:27 pm

I passed off as a 17 year old when I was old as 28. I am 42 now and still look like I am 26.

plant14
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Feb 2014, 4:34 pm

I look about 8 years younger than I am.

this is something you see in CFIDS often too.

I think it is from mitochondrial dysfunction and lower thyroid activity, lower oxidation and metabolism - so you just have less aging going on (oxidative stress is a big part of aging - see the kinda Aspie blog Anti-Aging Firewalls)

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2014, 4:00 pm

When I was a teenager people thought I was in my early 20s. Now, comfortably into my 30s, people still think I'm in my early 20s. It's flattering.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

WilFindUndrstndng
Raven
Raven

17 Feb 2014, 3:24 pm

Wowwwww! I JUST discovered this thread!! ! This is crazy(!)...amazing(!)...exciting!! ALL my adult-life people have told me I look way, WAY younger than I actually am (half my age - I'm 38 )! (I'm 6-ft tall, but have "a 'baby face'" [so to speak], relatively.) I had no IDEA(!) ASD/AS could have something to do with this!! !! This is awesome to find-out!! !! ! (I've only read, like, three of these posts, so far, so I hope I'm understanding y'all correctly. I'll go-back, right now, and read this entire thread.) If I am understanding these comments correctly, AS/ASD would explain WHY I look so much younger than my peers!

Thankful for this thread!! !

WilFindUndrstndng
Raven
Raven

17 Feb 2014, 4:04 pm

plant14 wrote:
I think it is from mitochondrial dysfunction and lower thyroid activity, lower oxidation and metabolism - so you just have less aging going on (oxidative stress is a big part of aging - see the kinda Aspie blog Anti-Aging Firewalls)

Interesting

WilFindUndrstndng
Raven
Raven

17 Feb 2014, 4:10 pm

Well, I've NOW read most of these posts (here) (I just discovered this thread, today) and, yeah, it looks like a lot of us (here) MIGHT have/MUST have SOME kind of... "slow-aging
(--APPEARANCE-wise, anyway --) -thing"... going-on.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 4:30 pm

People are often surprised to find out how old I am. I have been told that I look in my early to mid 20's, but I'm not too sure really.

I think they are just being kind.

I did look like a teenager until I was probably about 30 though.

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 5:59 pm

Yeah, I used to be like that, too. That was before I had a kid and became responsible for kid, house, community stuff, job, students, grown-up finances, etc. And before I was taking care of a mentally-ill husband and a baby at the same time. Back in those days I got lots of sleep, too.

What ages people: Not enough sleep and too much responsibility and worry. You want a nice example of what those do, watch any president in his first four years in office.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 12:22 pm

71 in a few days and a checkout person told me yesterday she didn't add the senior discount to the register tab because "you don't look old" (She was about 25). I didn't argue. :)

denny

Sashiku
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Mar 2014, 11:55 am

I am 32 years old. Last time somebody guessed my age they thought I was 15. People are always asking me where my parents are, why I'm out alone and ignore me when I want to buy something at the jewelry counter. Like they think I'm too young to have money. JEEZ. I dunno why I don't grow, I just don't. I'm 5 feet 0 inches tall to make matter worse, I have freckles... -.-;;

climber9
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Mar 2014, 2:08 am

59, but I look twenty years younger. I'm embarrassed by this, and it's another barrier to networking with others.

Still, when I'm 80 I might look 50!

outsidein
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Apr 2014, 8:40 am

No one can believe I'm nearly 40! I used to hate looking much younger than my age until i got to about 35, but now I'm at the age where I appreciate it.

When i read that this is a characteristic of ASD I was amazed.

Of course it's not helped by the fact that I hate to dress in smart clothes (jeans, converse and t-shirts only!) and never wear make up.

QuidditchChick
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Apr 2014, 9:24 am

I can pass for a high school senior or college student in my early 30s. This has actually been really nice as we live in a college town and when I moved here people would give me a discount thinking I was a college student....four years later I have yet to correct them. 10% off adds up!

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 9:29 am

QuidditchChick wrote:
I can pass for a high school senior or college student in my early 30s. This has actually been really nice as we live in a college town and when I moved here people would give me a discount thinking I was a college student....four years later I have yet to correct them. 10% off adds up!

I was visiting a college with my daughter several months back. I had on my usual "outfit" - jeans and a t-shirt. I was also wearing a baseball cap. We had ordered lunch, and the cashier asked if I was a student (and eligible for the student discount).

I immediately thought of this thread, and smiled.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 10:46 am

Rocket123 wrote:
I was visiting a college with my daughter several months back. I had on my usual "outfit" - jeans and a t-shirt. I was also wearing a baseball cap. We had ordered lunch, and the cashier asked if I was a student (and eligible for the student discount).

I immediately thought of this thread, and smiled.

Well to play devil's advocate I know a TON of people in their 40s (many are women too) who are in doing a trade at the local College. I was at my University recently almost 10 years after graduating and I blend right in and look like typical college student. I also have a coworker who I thought was in his 30s only to find out he is almost 55!

Having said that, I have asked some people how old they thought I was. It had gone from 25 last year to around 28 this year. Guess I am rapidly catching up :lol: I do believe much of it also has to do with the clothes I wear, as until recently I wore baggy shirts, ball caps and loose jeans. I started dressing more my age so people will realize I do have some life skills and experience.

lunaseesstars
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Apr 2014, 5:44 pm

i'm 29 in 6 weeks time, i am often mistaken for being younger. My tai chi instructor actually thought i was under 21. I dont think it helps that i have multi coloured hair and walk about with cartoon characters on my t-shirts! My whole sense of dress and fashion interests does tend to lean to the nostalgic 1980's kids or japanese kawaii. :)