What is it about AS that makes people hunger for a diagnosis

Page 3 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

b9
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 8:44 am

aussiebloke wrote:
those mice are cute, i would have trapped them and taken them with me (keep them inclosed in a cage perhaps ?)

i could not have done that.
i will cut a very long story short and say that i fully owned the house in the video, but the local council decided to build a road, and my house was in the way, and they ordered me to sell it to them. i had to agree to their price which was a pittance. but then they changed their minds, and they put it on sale for a price i could not afford ($773,000) i bought it for $280,000 but i was trounced by the market that stole my house.

i then had to find accommodation rapidly and i found a 2 bedroom unit that i rented for 2 years, and because it was a stand alone unit with no neighbours, i found it acceptable. but the real estate agent would have freaked if she saw that i had 8 mice living with me.

also there were cats around and they would not have been allowed to go outside.

things are so complicated when you are dealing with reality

woodster
Toucan
Toucan

04 Dec 2013, 9:08 am

b9 wrote:
i have a huntsman spider on my wall at the moment and it gives me the creeps, but i would never hurt it and i feel sorry for it.

Jeez! Kill the mother! Im so glad i dont live in Australia. I spent a week camping in west africa once and i barely slept a wink. Insects deserve to die, apart from a few very few types. I dont kill uk variety spiders because they nicely help to kill flies, but a huntsman spider? Are you kidding me? Kill it! Even if its ten miles away from your home, kill it!

oh yuck! the other side of the planet and its giving me the creeps.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 9:18 am

woodster wrote:
b9 wrote:
i have a huntsman spider on my wall at the moment and it gives me the creeps, but i would never hurt it and i feel sorry for it.

Jeez! Kill the mother! Im so glad i dont live in Australia. I spent a week camping in west africa once and i barely slept a wink. Insects deserve to die, apart from a few very few types. I dont kill uk variety spiders because they nicely help to kill flies, but a huntsman spider? Are you kidding me? Kill it! Even if its ten miles away from your home, kill it!

oh yuck! the other side of the planet and its giving me the creeps.

it's life is worth at least as much as yours so i will not interfere with it. it is totally innocent and it has no foul thoughts.

innocence is paramount to me.

i am also glad that you do not live in australia.

woodster
Toucan
Toucan

04 Dec 2013, 9:35 am

b9 wrote:

my attitude might be different if i lived in australia though. maybe its only my total unfamiliarity with things like that which makes them creep me out so much. i was watching that crappy im a celebrity get me out of here thing while my mum was watching it and the people that started off scared of insects seemed to get used to them rather quickly.

do annoying insects annoy you more? like flies buzzing around your head, would they get you wanting to kill them? at least spiders sit still and can kill annoying things, what about the type of insects that are as annoying as aussiebloke? ( no offence aussiebloke)

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 2:51 pm

woodster wrote:
b9 wrote:

my attitude might be different if i lived in australia though. maybe its only my total unfamiliarity with things like that which makes them creep me out so much. i was watching that crappy im a celebrity get me out of here thing while my mum was watching it and the people that started off scared of insects seemed to get used to them rather quickly.

do annoying insects annoy you more? like flies buzzing around your head, would they get you wanting to kill them? at least spiders sit still and can kill annoying things, what about the type of insects that are as annoying as aussiebloke? ( no offence aussiebloke)

Paul Hogan has a lot to answer for .......

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 2:52 pm

I wanted to know because of my 2 kids who were both dx'd with PDD-NOS.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 2:55 pm

do they want the co morbids that go with it to ?

foxfield
Toucan
Toucan

04 Dec 2013, 3:46 pm

Interesting question

I believe the need for a diagnosis is so strong because of Ego!

Never underestimate the power of the ego. It is the fundamental force that drives us to constantly try to convince ourselves or our intelligence, our skill, our personality, our looks etc. to the world around us. Any damage to our self perception hurts like hell. Any boost to our self perception makes us feel on top of the world.

An AS diagnosis doesn't just explain away a lot of our flaws. It goes even further and puts a positive spin on them by saying it makes us unique and creative thinkers etc. It is a quite the gigantically massive ego boost. Similar to a teenager growing up to find out that they have developed into a remarkably beautiful person.

This is the reason that the need for a diagnosis is so strong. It is the hunger of the ego, the ego that constantly must be fed. :wink:

I am sure 95% of you are going to deny what I just said, and claim that its just me. That I'm an attention seeking egomaniac. But I know I am right.... 8)

Acedia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2013, 10:23 pm

foxfield wrote:
I am sure 95% of you are going to deny what I just said, and claim that its just me. That I'm an attention seeking egomaniac. But I know I am right.... 8)

I completely agree with you. There is too much vanity on this site. So many members bragging about their genius-level IQs, but how they ultimately ended up being failures because of AS. It seems everyone on the internet has an IQ above 130. I guess the 2% are all on here. And then there is the bragging about being unique and oh-so-different from others. Non-autistics think the exact same way, if anything that is testament to how similar you are to everyone else.

It annoys me kind off because I've had difficulties all my life in education and so on...and I don't want to be slapped with the genius autist stereotype because people who read this forum are left with that impression.

Last edited by Acedia on 04 Dec 2013, 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Acedia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2013, 10:26 pm

double post...

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 10:59 pm

Acedia wrote:
foxfield wrote:

I completely agree with you. There is too much vanity on this site. So many members bragging about their genius-level IQs, but how they ultimately ended up being failures because of AS. It seems everyone on the internet has an IQ above 130. I guess the 2% are all on here. And then there is the bragging about being unique and oh-so-different from others. Non-autistics think the exact same way, if anything that is testament to how similar you are to everyone else.

It annoys me kind off because I've had difficulties all my life in education and so on...and I don't want to be slapped with the genius autist stereotype because people who read this forum are left with that impression.

stay well away from autism tv than , why can't I hang out with hot models with high education :roll:

cause I suck :P

I feel sorry for the younger members imagine if stereotypical nt parents are watching on and their child isn't measuring up .

ExceladonCity
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 8:28 am

I've been on the fence about getting a diagnosis. On one hand, it would explain a great deal of my past experiences and my goofy quirks. On the other hand, it's more money than I care spend just to face the possible 50/50 of being told "yes" or "no" by someone that doesn't know me as well as I know myself. Waste of money imo. Especially when you factor in the amount of time they (the therapist/psych/what-have-you) would have to spend getting to know me and analyzing my every action. To be honest, I think being here and talking to older Aspies would do me more good than going to a doctor.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 8:56 am

woodster wrote:
b9 wrote:

woodster wrote:

they look creepy and they raise the hairs on the back of my neck, but they do nothing. they are completely innocent and they just crawl up the walls and situate themselves in a corner and then they do nothing else for many days. i feel sorry for them because i am too timid now to trap them in a glass and release them back outside.
so i watch their progress through life every day, and i see they make no progress and they remain in the same corner of my ceiling until they dry out and die.
how sad.

they do not have the multiple options that we do to choose what they will do.
huntsman spiders are quite intimidating to look at, but they are harmless.
something that looks so harmful even though they are harmless is a sad state of affairs for them, but i really do feel for them.

woodster wrote:
do annoying insects annoy you more? like flies buzzing around your head.

i do not attract flies. they must think i am ugly.
woodster wrote:
would they get you wanting to kill them?

i will not kill anything unless it wants to kill me. flies are quite clean. have you ever watched a fly cleaning itself? they are quite particular about how they preen themselves.
people are the reason that flies are toxic. they eat our waste and garbage and then they become infectious.
how toxic would flies be if humans did not exist? yes they would continue to frequent horse s**t, but horse s**t is not dangerous.

woodster wrote:
at least spiders sit still and can kill annoying things, what about the type of insects that are as annoying as aussiebloke? ( no offence aussiebloke)

what is wrong with aussie bloke?
what is wrong with anything?

the only thing that is wrong with anything is contained in the mind of the beholder.

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 12:02 pm

b9 wrote:
flies are quite clean. have you ever watched a fly cleaning itself? they are quite particular about how they preen themselves.
people are the reason that flies are toxic. they eat our waste and garbage and then they become infectious.
how toxic would flies be if humans did not exist? yes they would continue to frequent horse sh**, but horse sh** is not dangerous.

Flies would go on any animal dung, and they can transfer other animal diseases through that as well. That being said, they have historically been quite helpful when cleaning infections from wounds was necessary, the maggots would clean out decayed, diseased flesh. However, in the days of antibiotics, maggots seem extremely unclean and have the association of dead things. I don't like flies, however, because I don't want them flying onto my fruit if they've just been dancing in a pile of dogs**t.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 3:58 pm

well said b9 what dumb founds me is the deep (in many people) hatred of the graceful pigeon , if it wasn't for this delightful animal you may be speaking german today! People think their stupid their not eg their one of only a handful of animals that can work out that it's them in their mirror reflection dirty , well have they not seen how often they preen themselves? sun bathe,? and their delightful to watch swimming in water fountains . The city would be a blander place with out their presence ...

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 4:00 pm

why are you worried about poo poo on your fruit when it's in your meat have a guess why industry in the usa are pushing hard for meat irradiation :wink: