Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2009, 9:11 am

I fell in love with Franz Kafka in 1978 (Senior year of high school). I felt very much in touch with him. I need to read more. The first piece I read was "Metamorphosis". There's no doubt WHATSOEVER in my mind that he was an aspie. Where he put his schnoodle is of no consequence to me.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 3:49 am

sartresue wrote:
Not a Lonestate star topic

Poor Franz. he was never alone in his life, at least not longer than a few days. The crowdedness of his beloved Prague meant that the solitary life was elusive for him. So for modern Kafka-wannabes who figure Kafka was an end in himself had better read up on his life, and realize he was very much tied to his family and friends, and actually had a desperate fear of being single, and sought out human companionship for whatever reason. He was certainly no hermit, and admirers who try to emulate his supposed loner life are fooling themselves. Still, it is his writing I admire. :D

I don't think he was ever really fulfilled or satisfied with the relationships he had though. His relationship with his family felt more like an obligation and it caused him all kinds of guilt and grief. He was lonely despite being surrounded with people. He had a good conscience but he didn't feel like he truly related to anyone. He was tortured by his own genius. He never succumbed to becoming a bitter recluse like most in his position would have. His conscience was too strong.