Page 5 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

14 May 2008, 2:12 pm

I'm still not diagnosed, and I'll be 40 later this year. Not really sure what it would accomplish if I were, to tell you the truth...

gamekeeper
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 May 2008, 7:54 pm

Advised that school felt my son's behavioural problems might be due to autism
On carrying out research saw many traits (so many traits) relevant to myself
Went through the system and gained diagnosis September last year aged 42 3/4

What a relief - I'm no longer just a miserable PITA who doesn't understand anybody :wall: , I'm now a miserable PITA with Aspergers... Result :wtg: !

zekmoe
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 May 2008, 10:03 am

44 for me, in the middle of a divorce. We were going to a therapist, who noticed it right away. Very odd, but somewhat relieving. I'm not 100% sure that's all that is wrong. But it's a start. I would have liked the dx before the marriage collapsed. My 2 sons (7 and 2) will suffer this divorce no matter how hard we try not to, and my beautiful house is gone. Starting over isn't fun.

Zonder
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 10:08 am

Welcome to WP, Bob!

Z

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 2:55 pm

I'm only self diagnosed a couple of months now. My entire life I've been a square peg in a round hole, different from everyone else and considered a bit weird etc. It was only when I was browsing the internet to find out about my habit of counting all the time that I can across the RDOS test and that came out very strongly as Aspergers.

I really wish I'd known when I was young, it would have helped me to greatly understand why I felt and behaved the way I did and how I could have avoided making some awful mistakes in my life. Too late now however, just got to make the best of it.

deborah0524
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 May 2008, 12:36 am

Whitewave wrote:
Has anyone here managed to evade diagnosis that long or longer? If so, why do you think that happened? My b/f is 45.

Thanks.

I'm 51 and only discovered what AS is recently. In the past, I've been told I have social anxiety disorder and clinical depression, probably related to serotonin insufficiency. However, I never mentioned several signs of AS because I wasn't asked about them and didn't know they might be relevant. I've studied communication and body language books and CDs to improve my social skills, but I think some professional guidance would be more effective. If some kind of behavioral therapy was available, I'd get evaluated for a diagnosis. I'm glad I found this group, I can already tell I have much in common with others here.

Deborah

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 12:49 am

I was diagnosed at the age of 48 and I had to convince everyone myself, see the start of my journey: http://asplanet.info/index.php?option=c ... &Itemid=67

dugmedic
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 May 2008, 3:47 pm

I really wonder why a formal diagnosis is so important to some people, I have not and never will be diagnosised by a doc, I know who, and what I am, but to the subject of the thread I came to the realization at about age 45, like many, only after my son was diagnosed with Asperger's

krex
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 4:06 pm

dugmedic wrote:
I really wonder why a formal diagnosis is so important to some people, I have not and never will be diagnosised by a doc, I know who, and what I am, but to the subject of the thread I came to the realization at about age 45, like many, only after my son was diagnosed with Asperger's

The importance of the DX for me is based on the difficulties I am having at work...for others it might be relationship problems or stress,anxiety or depression issues. I think it depends on how much it is effecting your life and what coping skills you have managed on your own. It can give you some protection at work if you need accomidations and it can also help people decide if their issues are neurological (hard wired) or soemthing chemical or psychological.All of those differences may have different methods of coping that work better then others. For me, some recommindations for an NT would actually be more harmful then helpful.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 4:29 pm

[quote="dugmedic"]I really wonder why a formal diagnosis is so important to some people, /quote]

First to validate who I am as a person, otherwise its a bit like continuing to live a lie and act the part of an NT.

I know this has to be an individuals choice, but it really does not help the whole situation long term in trying to progress with autism in general, so I feel anyone with children diagnosed has an obligation for the future of there child.. but really everyone owes it to people on the autism spectrum to at least understand.

Another reason accurate diagnosis is generally a good thing, incase you don't have Aspergers Syndrome, but something else, it affects what you can do to help yourself (although there is a big overlap between AS and several other disorders/ learning problems etc).

It is helpful for family and friends if they are interested about finding out things for themselves. Also generally as we get older we can get more set in our ways and feel its vital our differences are recognized so that others can fully understand us.

I also knew one no would of believed me if not diagnosed, others would just forget about, and we do have to remember who we are in the world impacts on others, far too many people say they are on the autism spectrum and do not get diagnosed and I feel its like you only mention or say when suits... its apart of who you are.

Down side it costs, and not enough good professional to diagnose

But does make me sad that so many people choose not to be diagnosed, why I ask myself and feel it is still pressure from society in general, we should all be proud, and if we feel we still have to hide in the shadows think of the next generation....

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 May 2008, 9:55 pm

In my case, I was not looking for a diagnosis. I doubt it would ever have crossed my mind had I not seen the psychiatrist for insomnia. He mentioned it out the blue.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 11:20 pm

nominalist wrote:
In my case, I was not looking for a diagnosis. I doubt it would ever have crossed my mind had I not seen the psychiatrist for insomnia. He mentioned it out the blue.

It also never crossed my mind, it was a desperate attempt to try and find out why I was different and after writing every think down and searching for answers came across aspergers myself...
Knowing my mother had been wrongly diagnosed all her life, in and out of mental homes, electric treatment etc... etc... and no one had answers... after she died I guess I could see myself in her and needed some answers..

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 May 2008, 11:43 pm

asplanet wrote:
It also never crossed my mind, it was a desperate attempt to try and find out why I was different and after writing every think down and searching for answers came across aspergers myself...
Knowing my mother had been wrongly diagnosed all her life, in and out of mental homes, electric treatment etc... etc... and no one had answers... after she died I guess I could see myself in her and needed some answers..

I just assumed I was horribly neurotic as a child, since my old child psychiatrist had dismissed his old diagnosis of childhood schizophrenia without offering me an alternative.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2008, 12:14 am

nominalist wrote:
I just assumed I was horribly neurotic as a child, since my old child psychiatrist had dismissed his old diagnosis of childhood schizophrenia without offering me an alternative.

I know what you mean, the unnecessary damage and hurt it can cause not allowing autistic children to be who they are from birth...... thats why everyone needs to know :wink:

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 May 2008, 2:48 pm

asplanet wrote:
I know what you mean, the unnecessary damage and hurt it can cause not allowing autistic children to be who they are from birth...... thats why everyone needs to know :wink:

Yep. ;-)

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2008, 3:24 pm

I just got DXd this February,
A GAL involved in my child's custody dispute wanted me evaluated,
I always knew I had it since I first learned about it back in 2004,
I just never seen reason to go get DXd, like whats the point as long as I knew.
But now its official.
I am 46 (this july)