Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SK4
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Sep 2009, 7:12 pm

Have any of you that are now adults wish you had a cure for Aspergers? I am now 23 years old and I'm wishing more than ever I had a single cure, without medications. I've had a long life of mixed relationships with people as I've been changing as I've taken meds in the past but I'm currently off them all. The meds I don't think helped much only altered my behavior to some other odd way. Lately all I've been wanting is to take a single cure (like that stem cell research I've been hearing about?) and just be a normal person. Does anyone else agree with a cure like this?

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 7:16 pm

lets talk about everyone taking a medication that will turn all our skins yellow, all over the world. . . would that cure racism?

discuss. .

SPARTAN-113
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Sep 2009, 7:53 pm

Well, I see it this way: I would never willingly submit to being 'cured'. Asperger's is a large determining factor of who I am. And being that it affects us socially, curing it would be comparable to curing us. Because whether you want to admit it or not, every Aspie has been formed by the autism, therefore it is quite literally a part of what makes us, well, 'us'. And, our methods of thinking, especialy logically, are different. If you cured the Asperger's, would you be prepared to join the ranks of the millions of neuro-typical peoples out there, and lose that 'unique mind'? I can speak only for myself, but I'd prefer death rather than this. Now, there are people who are debilitated by the condition, and for all I know, you may be one of them. I think that in those cases, sure, help them if you do have a cure. But if you can live with it, even if it's a burden at seemingly most times, then there is no reason to look at Asperger's as a "disease," or a "disorder." Think of it like a mind-set. You think differently. But that doesn't make it a disease, or any bad thing. I know that might seem blunt, but just think about that. You really should get into philosophy. The first question of philosophy is "Who am I?" In order to function well with autism, you must first answer this question, not for others, but yourself. But you may never accomplish that. I find myself asking who I really am, after years of thinking I had already solved that. So give it time.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 8:53 pm

No. Don't get me started as to why...

LP0rc
Raven
Raven

01 Sep 2009, 9:21 pm

One of the joys of processing things more mentally and emotionally is you can change your mind, thus changing your perceptions, thus changing who you are.

There is no cure for being who you are.

If it helps, I can make a strong case that AS is a difference, not a disorder, and in terms of evolution strengthens the species...

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 9:44 pm

I doubt a cure would be either possible or desirable. I understand many Aspies (including some friends of mine) experience a great deal of frustration because of the social difficulties we all face, but I've stood back and observed people enough to realize that being neurotypical ain't exactly a picnic either. From what I can tell, intensive social interaction leads to social drama leads to stress, depression, and anxiety. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, I suppose. I don't fit into the same social niches as would be expected of a typical person, but that's OK. As long as I can find my own niche, it doesn't matter.

SPARTAN-113

01 Sep 2009, 9:49 pm

A couple of the responses I didn't know if they were agreeing with my comment or not, but they all kinda re-state what I was saying. Or, more exactly, what I was TRYING to say, lol

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 10:56 pm

I'm perfect, just the way I am. I don't need to be cured, and I thank God that I wasn't in Mainland Europe in the late 1930s and early 1940s. I'm not broken, and I don't need fixing. I'm not sick.

Oregon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Sep 2009, 8:33 am

A cure to become a normal person?

I guess it would depend on what your definition of a normal person is. I have never met a normal person, everyone has their strengths and flaws.

The great thing about this world we live in is that you can recreate yourself at any time. Picture who you want to be and make it so, life is a stage... grab the spotlight. I used to think a person is fake or dishonest if they pretend to be who they are not. Now I realize people perceive us by who we pretend to be. Do I want to be a depressed looser today or a friendly upbeat person?.. the choice is mine.
Get some new cloths, cut your hair differently, read books on how to act in public. Become an expert on something by reading a dozen books on a subject.

The only cure to the challenges in life is death, and I’m not ready for that yet.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2009, 7:12 pm

I think it partly depends on what you mean by a "cure".

I've never had the notion that becoming normal was possible for me. I have desired to be a more mentally healthy me. And I've been able to do that. Or, to say it differently. I've desired to develop and grow as a person, and that I've done. I've changed. I like myself now. I have friends now. I'll pass on normal.

Synesthesia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Sep 2009, 7:53 pm

I don't know what normal means.... I don't think I'm NT, not with my synesthesia and all. I'm not sure if I have AS, but I have lots of the traits but I just don't know what this normal thing is.
It doesn't sound very appealing. Perhaps the definition needs to be stretched a bit. To include more people... :idea:

fullfathomfive

03 Sep 2009, 9:15 pm

you mean if i could do away with never being able to think of what to say in a social situation, if i could do away with feeling awkward, do away with sensory issues, with the obsessive thoughts, with being overlooked by the world, yeah i think i would take that cure. i don't think i would feel any less unique and individual, i would just feel different, unlike now where i feel that i feel different but the world at large looks down on my difference.

john

JCJC777
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2009, 3:31 pm

Hey SK4 I'm sorry you've run into the normal wrongplanet bu**sh** of Aspie people pretending it's cool to be in horror social isolation and agony. You sound good and maybe you can find a way - this was mine; http://unlearningasperger.blogspot.com - let me know if I can help you - very best, JC

Azharia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2009, 7:14 pm

I wouldn't say that "horror social isolation and agony" are in any way desirable, but at 27, I am really enjoying my life and I wouldn't change who and what I am for the world!

Awithliving
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Oct 2009, 8:49 pm

I've failed in relationships, and it has broken me so many times I want to vomit. I know it's because I think differently, I know it's because I act differently. I know it's because of Asperger's. And even though love may be the one thing I desire the most, I would not trade this away for anything. It's either this or not being at all. I love working with my issues, I love getting better at what I do and forcing myself to understand what I must do in order to succeed. It is absolutely fantastic once I've discovered how the pieces fit together. I probably, an assumption, wouldn't have had that kind of experience if I never had this so called disorder.

I work well with other people like me, that's good enough for me.

Relationships will still be more of an enigma, but I think I'll make it, eventually.

When the day of absolution (metaphorically speaking) comes, I will probably be one of the most satisfied people on earth.

Hope is the very foundation of the life I'm building.

A cure? No, thank you. I will pass every time.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 9:01 pm

For me, maybe something like a lobotomy might do the trick, but I would rather just continue on with my usual "run what ya' brung!"

But more seriously ...

One thing I have learned in these past couple of weeks here is this:

NT = NeuroTypical, not "NeuroNormal".

My "normal" is not an NT's "typical", and an NT's "normal" is not something I envy.

I still do not know for sure about whoever that is in my mirror, but now I at least know I am "within the norm" (spectrum) among us atypicals.