Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Jkid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jan 2010, 8:46 pm

OK, I'm planning to finally get my learner's permit next week as the first step from getting my mom to stop complaining that I don't have a driver's license. Only problem is that Maryland has the toughest licensing requirements in the Union. EVERYONE regardless of age has to go to a two week driving school ($300) and has to get 60 hours of driving experience before even getting to the drivers test for a provisional drivers license.

OK, my father is paying for me to go to driver's ed, and he's willing to supervise my driving to get 60 hours (which will take three months, it's possible to do it within two weeks but the MVA (Maryland's DMV) will not believe me.)

But what about people who can't afford driver's ed or worse, has no parents available to mentor their driving and are forced to come up $300 every six hours for someone to supervise their driving. I've looked for volunteer driving mentors, and I'm getting dead ends.

To be honest, I'm lucky that my parents are still in this state and willing to help me get my drivers license.

trojan51
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2010, 1:01 am

you're very fortunate. it must suck for those kids, thats why they often turn to crime and end up behind bars

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

07 May 2010, 2:13 am

Lol I wanted to get a license on my own and bugged my parents badly about it till I drove them crazy in high school.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 5:43 pm

I still don't have a license. I did get a permit, but I found that, in college, one doesn't have a lot of time to learn how to drive. I'm also not in a very big rush. They have a LOT of public transportation where I live, so I don't mind. It would also save me a lot of money. Eventually, however, I would like to learn how to drive. I'm a bit scared about it, though. When I learn how to drive, I want to enroll in a driving school so that I get a bit of formal training. It might be awkward for the teenagers, but it would be a good way for me to go. I hope that they don't have age limits. Although maybe they wouldn't because people immigrate from many different countries and they may not know how to drive. I'll just have to see.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.