Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

azbluesgal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Sep 2010, 7:08 pm

What do you use for your "rack", bed, sleeping place, whatever.....to make yourself comfortable and quiet? I know they do make "autism blankets" for younger kids, but I don't like a LOT of weight on me. I love fleece and flannel to cuddle up with along with my "boyfriend" pillow. I can usually zone myself out with some meditation, a little 'medication", and some tunes.

FJP
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Sep 2010, 10:04 pm

I sleep on a matress in a small walk in closet. The clothes dampen the sound and its completely dark. I have never tried the weighted blankets, but I do like a lot of blankets on me. ( if its not too hot ). I also sleep with a pillow over my head, not covering my mouth and nose but over my eyes and ears.
I've struggled with insomnia for most of my life but with a good sleep schedule ( keeping the same routines) I've been doing good.
Sleeping pills always made me feel like crap. I would rather get 3 hours of regular sleep than 6 to 8 with the pills.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 11:28 pm

I camp fairly often. Only comfort issues I have are due to back problems.

But they do not have me

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2010, 10:33 pm

Wife needs multi pillows arranged around her. I need bottom of bedclothes tucked in, I need the weight ogf at LEAST one blanket or else no cobvers at all.

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 9:32 am

I'd love a weighted blanket but I am sure that there aren't any on the local market, even for autistic kids who really need them. I prefer a cool room so I could pile up blankets to the ceiling and I have a big plush puppy to cuddle with. Strange thing is, when I was growing up, I never took toys with me to bed - probably because I loved playing with toy cubes instead of dolls and softies and I learned to read early so I took books to bed with me. My NT husband hates the plushie and always banishes it from the bed but he knows better than throw it away.

RomanceAnonimo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Sep 2010, 4:21 pm

Interesting, I had never thought to make an association of sleeping mechanics as a symptom so to speak.

I have always suffered from insomnia and hyperactive thought process when attempting to fall asleep, which I have associated as 'an additional symptom'.

I sleep under a heavy (non-weighted) blanket in the fetal position, with my head wrapped in a pillow, with my arms around my head holding the pillow in place. I never genuinely considered that this traint could potentially be a symptom. For white noise, in an attempt to block out any background or through-wall noise, I use a Vornado fan set on high. Without it, the slightest noise, including a ticking clock, someone snoring on the otherside of the house, a fish tank filter, conversation, or any persistent noise keeps me from sleeping.

nekowafer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Sep 2010, 12:42 pm

I sleep best with a big fluffy pillow, a sheet underneath me (hate the feeling of mattresses), a sheet on top of me (but not covering my feet), and a blanket if it's cold. It needs to be a big, fluffy blanket, and it can't be at all heavy or I feel trapped and claustrophobic. I like down comforters for that reason.

I generally sleep on my side, facing the edge of the bed, with my legs curled up and the arms that's underneath me curled up under the pillow. I don't like wearing clothing to bed but I also don't like my skin touching itself, so I generally have the sheet between my legs and under my arms.