Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 7:58 pm

I was wondering from others experiences, what makes good living conditions. What factors should an aspie consider. Right now, I just finished college and Im living with my parents and trying to find a job. And in part, I think its gonna eventually drive me nuts. I dont have the same freedoms as before, my parents are sorta up in my face at times. I need my own space and to not have people up in my face. Like when I go to my room, dont disturb me. I dont like having living obligations beyond what is necessary. Dont get me wrong, its not that I dont want to socialize with the people I live with, I do, I just dont want to have to really collaborate. I just like to do my own thing, take care of myself.

Back when I was in the dorms, I had no obligations to anyone. All I had to do was be respectful of my roommates. Tho admittedly, my roommates didn't care for my emotional coldness. I also like it quiet, if my roommate ever brought guests over that I didn't know, I'd leave the room. If it were to be guests I did know, tell me ahead of time. I don't like obligations to socialize and become socially anxious in my own room. My room is a relaxation place, if I have people over, I need to informed ahead of time so I can mentally prepare.

In a way, I hate being so friggin anal about everything. I need to control my own space.

Orr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 8:53 pm

I live in a ground-floor flat with a small, private garden. My one issue with my living conditions, apart from the mess I create, and low ability in tidying up that mess, is that I would much prefer a ceiling high enough to allow me to leap as high as I can in to the air without risking concussion.

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 10:10 pm

If you are thinking about moving out and apartment-hunting, I'd avoid large apartment complexes, if possible, just because of noise and neighbor problems. I've had problems living in large complexes and ended up with some nightmare neighbors.

The last place I lived had walls and floors so badly-insulated you could hear full conversations, as well as, um, less savory things going on in the other units. Since it was as loud as if they were actually in my place, I felt like I was stiuck with horrible roommates, yet no one to split the rent with. I had all of my downstairs neighbors ring-tones memorized and knew who was calling her before conversations started. On nights when there were parties, it was awful. It seems like a lot of places are being built like this to save costs and cut corners wherever possible.

I bring this up because from your post, it sounded like personal space is pretty important to you. So, a good living conditions for you could mean a smaller, privately-owned building with just a few units or an apartment above a garage or 9-5 business, where you could have a little more quiet and privacy. I'm in an apartment above an elderly woman's garage right now and while it's not as spacious or nice-looking as my last place, I'm so much more happy here, just because of the peace and quiet.

Also, try to schedule showings of apartments during hours when people will be home. I was stupid enough to go see my last place during a time when the other tenents were at work, so I didn't get a sense of what the noise levels were like when they were home.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 10:31 pm

Having lived in more places than I can remember, I learned that it is best to live alone and hopefully isolated from neighbors (at least acoustically).

Even if you are quiet and respectful of others it is astonishing the level of hostility that can develop against people who are perceived to be "different" in some way - it's best to avoid those situations in the first place.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 11:30 pm

Grisha wrote:

Even if you are quiet and respectful of others it is astonishing the level of hostility that can develop against people who are perceived to be "different" in some way - it's best to avoid those situations in the first place.

My roommates were pretty nice to me considering that they were random, we sorta just put up with each other. I'm not strange enough to the point that they were "hostile". They just disliked my coldness, its not intentional, sometimes you just dont clique with some people. Or when ur aspie, you dont clique with significantly higher % of the pop then most NTs.

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 12:23 am

I live in a second floor(of 2), west facing apartment in a desert. It's REALLY hot right now. However it's fairly quiet, inexpensive, and close to what I like. Overall, it could be better, but it could be MUCH worse.

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 8:30 am

Grisha wrote:
Having lived in more places than I can remember, I learned that it is best to live alone and hopefully isolated from neighbors (at least acoustically).

Ditto for me. Sad, but true.