Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 2:54 am

I was put on 150mg of Wellbutrin XL, which did nothing... but I knew there was fiddling that could be done so I didn't lose hope on the medicine. The doc boosted me to 300mg and life was okay. I wasn't freaking out about anything. My insomnia seemed manageable, albeit still there. I didn't feel any different.

Then I missed a dose.
Then I missed another one.
And another.
And another.
Right now I'm not sure how many days I've missed.

Three nights ago I was awake until 5am uncontrollably crying because 3 of my 4 kids are on visitation and it's too late for me to call to make sure they're all alive. My anxiety level is running high by default again and when my husband got p!ssy with me a few nights ago, it was devastating (as opposed to me just silently calling him a d!ck and shrugging it off). I have been up until 4am consistently without sleeping during the day to compensate.

So the medicine really makes a difference and I don't think I'm going to go off of it again if I can help it. Technically, I still don't need it to function but if I want to function well, 300mg of Wellbutrin XL is a key ingredient to helping that happen for me.

Morals of the Story:
- Take your happy pills!
- If it aint broke, don't fix it!

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 7:51 am

Glad you found something that works for you!

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 9:47 am

BTDT wrote:
Glad you found something that works for you!

Thanks!

I didn't even realize it was working until I stopped taking it. That's how ridiculous life on medication can be.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 9:53 am

After years and years of unsuccessful attempts with many meds, my doc finally put me on klonopin. If I miss one, I wake up the next day with my heart rate elevated (like it used to be everyday before the meds), I cannot tolerate the slightest disruption in my routine (like it was before the meds), I cannot go to say, buy groceries without needing at least three hours to hide in my room (like it was before the meds). The list goes on....

It is easy to take things for granted when they become the new norm and a weird reality check when the norm is disrupted... like how getting bronchitis makes you appreciate how great it is to not be sick once it is done and over. There is certainly something to be said for finding something that works. I am glad you found what works.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 3:48 pm

wefunction wrote:
I was put on 150mg of Wellbutrin XL, which did nothing... but I knew there was fiddling that could be done so I didn't lose hope on the medicine. The doc boosted me to 300mg and life was okay. I wasn't freaking out about anything. My insomnia seemed manageable, albeit still there. I didn't feel any different.

Then I missed a dose.
Then I missed another one.
And another.
And another.
Right now I'm not sure how many days I've missed.

Three nights ago I was awake until 5am uncontrollably crying because 3 of my 4 kids are on visitation and it's too late for me to call to make sure they're all alive. My anxiety level is running high by default again and when my husband got p!ssy with me a few nights ago, it was devastating (as opposed to me just silently calling him a d!ck and shrugging it off). I have been up until 4am consistently without sleeping during the day to compensate.

So the medicine really makes a difference and I don't think I'm going to go off of it again if I can help it. Technically, I still don't need it to function but if I want to function well, 300mg of Wellbutrin XL is a key ingredient to helping that happen for me.

Morals of the Story:
- Take your happy pills!
- If it aint broke, don't fix it!

You need a pill timer! When I was first put on meds, I was 20 and living in San Francisco, and I just could not remember to take them. Then when I was in Walgreens one day, I saw that they had pill timers on sale for $10. That was the best $10 I ever spent. With the timer I could train my brain to take my pills when I went to bed, and later twice a day. When I dropped it in the bathtub 10 years later, I didn't miss it, because I hadn't been using it for a while. I had successfully trained myself to take my meds twice a day. Google pill timers, you can find a real nice one for maybe $20 (inflation). You need to train yourself to always take your meds. The pill timer will help.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 8:22 pm

Thank you, pezar!! !

Until I get to the store to get a timer, I set the alarm on my phone. Every morning at 7am, Billy Currington's "People Are Crazy" will play to remind me to take my medicine. It's been a solid action in my daily routine for months but Summer's change in schedules messed me up a bit and I didn't compensate properly. A timer as a back-up so it's always there no matter what is going on is great advice!

BillyIdolFan217
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 10:29 pm

I was on Wellbutrin XL when I was 13 and 14. I really liked that it helped decrease my appetite and I lost a lot of weight! I just take xanax now when I need to. I don`t like the everyday meds, they do nothing for me. But if it works for u then great!

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2011, 1:48 pm

wefunction wrote:
Thank you, pezar!! !

Until I get to the store to get a timer, I set the alarm on my phone. Every morning at 7am, Billy Currington's "People Are Crazy" will play to remind me to take my medicine. It's been a solid action in my daily routine for months but Summer's change in schedules messed me up a bit and I didn't compensate properly. A timer as a back-up so it's always there no matter what is going on is great advice!

I googled pill timer for you, and there were a LOT of dodgy/weird looking sites.

http://www.epill.com/countdown.html

This site was the most legitimate looking site. They have an 800 number and a mailing address in Massachusetts, so I would think that they're legit. There are all sorts of timers out there. You could order a timer online and have it in a week.

Daryl_Blonder
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jul 2011, 6:11 pm

I have been put on tons and tons of meds over the years. I have also tried some that weren't prescribed to me, such as Klonopin and Valium.

I have found that nothing I have been prescribed ever worked, from Zoloft to Paxil to the newer fancier pricier drugs like Abilify and Seroquel, but that benzodiazepines did wonders for my sleep and anxiety.

Unfortunately there is not a doctor in the world that will prescribe any of those for me because I have a history of abusing sleeping meds, including a very recent incident.

********************************************************************************************************************

Check out my IMDB page!

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 6:32 pm

There can be problems coming off drugs without tapering off the doses.

LornaDoone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jul 2011, 11:00 pm

Moog wrote:
There can be problems coming off drugs without tapering off the doses.

This exactly. Side effects can often include elevated symptoms. Symptoms that maybe you didn't even have before. So, while it's very likely that you do function much better with the medications, you can not simply tell that based on what you wrote. You would need to have been off that medication for at least 6 months or more to be able to tell anything definitive.

You are very lucky that you didn't have more drastic side effects.