Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

kalli889
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Oct 2013, 11:14 am

Does anyone have a money management software that they use/like/recommend?

I used to use Quicken a few years ago, before they were bought out/merged with someone. (Or maybe they bought Mint?) Before the merger/purchase, I could input and track my cash quite easily, and input future and recurring expenses/purchases for forecasting/planning. THIS WAS SO HELPFUL, and I went from always overdrafting to never overdrafting. After the merger/purchase, they removed this functionality and it became pretty worthless to me. Mint tracks spending after the fact, and doesn't really handle cash. I starting carrying around a little ledger book with me, but sometimes when I'm tired my math is wrong. It was easier just to input receipts into Quicken at the end of the day.

It's so sad to me that they changed something that worked so well. Maybe they've changed it back in the interim...I just gave up.

b_edward
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2013, 12:21 pm

I was thinking about this, and I also don't want to spend a bunch of money on something, so I hoped there is something cheap/free.

I was thinking about creating a very sophisticated spread sheet that could categorize everything in addition to doing the math for me.

MELODY-S
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Oct 2013, 1:14 am

YNAB -You Need A Budget. It is a little spendy at $60, but it is beautiful software an I think it is worth every penny. There is a free trial so you can try it out risk free.

kalli889
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Oct 2013, 5:12 pm

MELODY-S wrote:
YNAB -You Need A Budget. It is a little spendy at $60, but it is beautiful software an I think it is worth every penny. There is a free trial so you can try it out risk free.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Another program that came up in my Google Search was iBank. Obvs its for Apple users, but it looked pretty good! I"ll try YNAB, and then if that isn't my cup of tea, I'll try iBank.

Thanks again!

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2013, 6:35 pm

My wife and I are starting with GnuCash.

Mint is great until you lose internet access because of an unpaid bill. :oops:

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2013, 12:05 pm

Mint works best for me. I've tried some others and Mint seems the best in terms of running on auto-pilot, i.e. it does its job with minimal effort from me.