Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2014, 6:27 pm

My mom and I were talking about my plans for a self-sufficient farm, and she pointed out that I'm almost 40 and couldn't do the heavy labor that a one person farm requires (I have low muscle tone, likely because of problems developing properly in her womb) and that I'm getting older and don't want to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere if my truck breaks down, and that dead animals smell and that they're hard to kill and gut and prep. All good points, I thought. So I asked her what I should do when they're gone, and she said that my dad thought they could sell the house and make keeping me around in my cottage as a condition, and I pointed out how illogical that is. So finally we agreed that I could move into a mobile home in a park somewhere and live like that. So there's this town north of Bend, Oregon called Madras, it has two huge mobile home parks (120 spaces in all) and space rent is $300/mo. The homes themselves can cost as little as $3000. After I pay off my dental debt, I'm thinking of buying a mobile home up there.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2014, 6:35 pm

I'm thinking about living in a mobile home as well because my income-earning potential is too low to continually pay apartment rent or mortgage. However, I am strongly opposed to having neighbors and therefore don't want to live in an RV park. I don't know what I'll do, but I've considered living in a national park for most if not all of the year. My only rent would be a yearly park pass.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2014, 7:55 pm

How big is their house? If it's completely paid off, with no mortgage or equity loan at all, how much are the taxes and insurance?
Mine is $350 per month. Could you live with a roommate or two? There's lots of people out there who need affordable housing.

Bodyles
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 10:30 am

Really? That's an idea.

A good one.

I'll consider it myself.