Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 12:07 am

Today my therapist asked me what I wanted to work on. She asked if I was content on a social basis (or something like that).

I didn’t really know how to answer the question. I am curious how others in the community might respond to the question.

Onoma
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Apr 2014, 6:50 am

I personally would take that as her asking you if you were happy with your social life.

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 7:24 am

I got asked this two sessions ago with my psych. My answer was no.

I did my best to explain the problems I have and she already knew several of them. I said it wasn't a primary goal of mine at this point, but it was something I needed help with.

I have a few friends. I have my moments where I feel like I'm hurt or I hurt them, but I also am glad they're in my life and they've said the same of me. I just want to step it up. With my executive function problems I really don't know if I can handle that. I'd like a few more friends in different areas of my life.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 1:17 pm

No, I wish it was easier.

I think the key is to be aware of and respect my limitations, and use that knowledge to push my relationships with people farther than I have been able to so far in life, but without causing myself shutdowns or meltdowns or crap executive functioning because of doing too much.

I am thinking that I should see people more often, but in deliberately small doses that I can recover from more easily. My wife makes friends with people and at least some people at work seem to have a favorable view of me, so I will make the most of those connections.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 2:47 pm

I wouldn't cope well with that question. It isn't specific enough. I would look blankly back at the therapist and hopefully they would rephrase the question.

Maybe if you ask her questions about what she means you might understand better. These are questions that come to my mind:
Are you asking if I am having trouble making friends? Are you asking whether I am having trouble maintaining friendships? Do you want to know if I think that I need to improve my social skills so that people will invite me to spend time with them? Do you want to know if there are social things that happen around me that I don't feel a part of or don't feel connected to and I wonder what I need to do to feel like I can become involved in having more of a social life?

Infoseeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Apr 2014, 11:24 pm

I moved long-distance for a job. Definitely not content with my current social life; I cannot relate to my co-workers either. They are all older professional people.

Haven't found a hobby to wet my feet with. I used to have friends (at my old place) that break-danced and boy was that interesting. Also there was a local meetup group for board-games that was really fun!

Now I am only interacting with my wife; having a date when we can find time. Slowly becoming a couch-potato with my Playstation 3.

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 7:16 am

Infoseeker wrote:
I moved long-distance for a job. Definitely not content with my current social life; I cannot relate to my co-workers either. They are all older professional people.

Haven't found a hobby to wet my feet with. I used to have friends (at my old place) that break-danced and boy was that interesting. Also there was a local meetup group for board-games that was really fun!

Now I am only interacting with my wife; having a date when we can find time. Slowly becoming a couch-potato with my Playstation 3.

I see from the info on your left side that you live in the detroit metro area, but you say you moved. Do you still reside in the detroit metro area, because I also reside in the detroit metro area. I also game fairly regularly with a group of friends, except I don't like risk and monopoly.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

AutisticGuy1981
Toucan
Toucan

10 Apr 2014, 3:24 pm

your therapist needs to understand you can't ask a seemingly open question to most people on the spectrum they need context for it to make sense

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 5:07 pm

Yes, I am content on a social basis.

Once I was able to determine for myself what my social needs are, instead of internalizing those of others, I made the pleasant discovery that my social needs are being met.