Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

NikNak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jan 2017, 8:33 pm

I'm in a long-term relationship with another woman who I've lived with for 4 years. Unfortunately the relationship has been very unhealthy and unstable at times and I was recently diagnosed as on the spectrum. As such I'm coming to realise my part in a lot of our problems.

I was wondering what experiences others here had in their romantic relationships? What problems have you faced and how were you able to overcome them and make self-improvements where necessary?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2017, 7:14 am

I think a potential challenge is that a lot of people on the spectrum need a fair amount of time to themselves to pursue special interests. This can make some partners feel left out.

I think that trying to have open communication about both of your needs is really important. When you both can understand each other's needs, you can come to some sort of compromise.

Does she understand your diagnosis and know about autism?

searsdp04
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2017, 10:37 pm

I agree. I was engaged to someone for a while but she left me about a month before the wedding. This was almost 3 years before my diagnosis, but knowing what I know now, I know that it would not have worked out. She was just too social for me. I am also not sure she would have understood my autism diagnosis either.