Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LadyMahler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2008, 12:24 am

As my friend just said...not the best publicity.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7323733.stm

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 12:52 am

The only thing they actually say bad about AS itself is that we have crap social skills, but you're right, it ain't good publicity, although we've had his story on WP before.

On sabbatical...

LadyMahler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2008, 1:00 am

Quote:
we've had his story on WP before.

Apologies for double posting!

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 2:42 am

LadyMahler wrote:
Quote:
we've had his story on WP before.

Apologies for double posting!

It's not really a double post, we've just had it before. This is just a later news article on the same guy.

On sabbatical...

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 12:45 pm

Yeah, fantastic headline on NZ's biggest news website:

"Asperger's teen pleads guilty to cyber crime"

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4459672a11.html

Quote:
The quiet, fresh faced computer whiz kid suffers from Asperger's syndrome, a mild form of autism often characterised by social isolation but great intelligence and talent in a particular area.

He was reportedly bullied at school and left in Year 9 to study by correspondence.

Walker started experimenting with bot programmes and created his own code, continually developing, redesigning and adding to it.

International cyber crime investigators considered Walker's to be "amongst the most advanced bot programming" they had encountered, says the prosecution summary.

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Apr 2008, 6:40 pm

How is the fact that he's got Asperger's anything other than sensationalist?

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 6:56 pm

LadyMahler wrote:
As my friend just said...not the best publicity.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7323733.stm

According to what I have learn, most hackers have poor social skills.

The majority of hackers's trait is related to autistic or other social / behavior disorder. I am not surprise if he have Asperger Syndrome. Some people with Asperger Syndrome may not have the empathy or social to care about people's property.

The bottomline is that they made Asperger Syndrome look bad.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 7:57 pm

well, maybe we can get some blackhacks out to these guys and retalitate... nothing too serious, jsut make their most important, most likely to be viewed and most profiatble headline suddenly... disappear :twisted:

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

LadyMahler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2008, 10:47 pm

Quote:
How is the fact that he's got Asperger's anything other than sensationalist?

I think they are trying to explain how a kid of that age is so bright, he could fool so many sophisticated security mechanisms. So, I guess it's a bit of flattery, unfortunately in quite an undesirable context.

LaRoza
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2008, 11:39 pm

Don't misuse the word "hacker". This is a true hacker: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_(free_and_open_source_software)

Someone who breaks the law is a criminal, not a hacker.

See: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ost4219078

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 12:54 am

LaRoza wrote:

I never said that hackers are criminal. You have to do your study to know that not all hackers are bad.

Your praise is commendable but OUTDATED.

The TRUE hacker are people like Kevin Mitnick follow by Captain Crunch, Cusinart blade, Hack Canada, Revolution, and other hacker's name that haven't been mention.

There are different type of hacker - White Hat and Black Hat.

It doesn't matter if it breaking the law or not, they still test and break through security thus hacking. If it a criminal hacker, it is the black hat hacker. If it a volunteer, helper, or employee hacker then it is a white hat hacker.

The kind of thing that the AZ teen done was not hacking but program software and spywares to do the hacking for him. He simply spread it across the internet and place where he can infect computers.

There is two things he got out of this, identity theft with bank account which can be redeemable for money and Pay per Click ads.

Last edited by Bopkasen on 02 Apr 2008, 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

LaRoza
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2008, 1:10 am

Bopkasen wrote:
You are praising the wrong people.

The TRUE hacker is people like Kevin Mitnick follow by Captain Crunch, Cusinart blade, Hack Canada, Revolution, and other hacker's name that haven't been mention.

I never said that hackers are criminal. You have to do your study to know that not all hackers are bad.

? I wasn't praising anyone. The term hacker is often used (Black/White hat) to describe those who test or otherwise try to compromise security models, but it is also used to describe programmers of a certain nature.

That link I posted, to the forum post (apologies if it didn't work, some forums do weird redirects when you go to them) is someone referring to me as a hacker, in praise of my programming knowledge. Security isn't a factor.

I guess I am biased, as I follow (and am a part of) this definition:
Wikipedia wrote:
Definition

The Jargon File, a compendium of hacker slang, defines hacker as "A person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and how to stretch their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary." [1] The Request for Comments (RFC) 1392, the Internet Users' Glossary, amplifies this meaning as "A person who delights in having an intimate understanding of the internal workings of a system, computers and computer networks in particular." [2] These hackers are disappointed by the mass media and mainstream public's usage of the word hacker to refer to security breakers, calling them "crackers" instead.

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 1:12 am

LaRoza wrote:
Bopkasen wrote:
You are praising the wrong people.

The TRUE hacker is people like Kevin Mitnick follow by Captain Crunch, Cusinart blade, Hack Canada, Revolution, and other hacker's name that haven't been mention.

? I wasn't praising anyone. The term hacker is often used (Black/White hat) to describe those who test or otherwise try to compromise security models, but it is also used to describe programmers of a certain nature.

That link I posted, to the forum post (apologies if it didn't work, some forums do weird redirects when you go to them) is someone referring to me as a hacker, in praise of my programming knowledge. Security isn't a factor.

I guess I am biased, as I follow (and am a part of) this definition:
Wikipedia wrote:
Definition

The Jargon File, a compendium of hacker slang, defines hacker as "A person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and how to stretch their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary." [1] The Request for Comments (RFC) 1392, the Internet Users' Glossary, amplifies this meaning as "A person who delights in having an intimate understanding of the internal workings of a system, computers and computer networks in particular." [2] These hackers are disappointed by the mass media and mainstream public's usage of the word hacker to refer to security breakers, calling them "crackers" instead.

Either way.... no one get credit as hacker until another hacker give it. It a matter of respect. Respect the hackers.

Noob hackers aren't acceptable to give credit either.

Last edited by Bopkasen on 02 Apr 2008, 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

LaRoza
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2008, 1:16 am

Bopkasen wrote:
No... I wasn't finish editing.

This is my final draft.

The TRUE hacker are people like Kevin Mitnick follow by Captain Crunch, Cusinart blade, Hack Canada, Revolution, and other hacker's name that haven't been mention.

Drafts on forum posts...thats new.

Those aren't hackers, they are crackers. White Hat and Black Hat.

The term Hacker means

Quote:
"A person who delights in having an intimate understanding of the internal workings of a system, computers and computer networks in particular." [2] These hackers are disappointed by the mass media and mainstream public's usage of the word hacker to refer to security breakers, calling them "crackers" instead.

See: http://catb.org/jargon/html/H/hacker.html

A TRUE hacker is RMS, Linus Torvald, ERS

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 1:20 am

LaRoza wrote:
Bopkasen wrote:
No... I wasn't finish editing.

This is my final draft.

Drafts on forum posts...thats new.

Those aren't hackers, they are crackers. White Hat and Black Hat.

The term Hacker means

Quote:
"A person who delights in having an intimate understanding of the internal workings of a system, computers and computer networks in particular." [2] These hackers are disappointed by the mass media and mainstream public's usage of the word hacker to refer to security breakers, calling them "crackers" instead.

See: http://catb.org/jargon/html/H/hacker.html

A TRUE hacker is RMS, Linus Torvald, ERS

It doesn't matter what you think... it matter of what most of the accomplished hackers community think.

Discrediting hackers and calling them crackers are nothing but stirring up the bee hive.

LaRoza
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2008, 1:23 am

Bopkasen wrote:
It doesn't matter what you think... it matter of what most of the hackers community think.

Discrediting hackers and calling them crackers are nothing but stirring up the bee hive.

I am a member of the hacker community, and communicate with many of them. I think they would agree with me...

We would feel offense if described as security crackers. In fact, I am, and tried to express that.

Telling me it doesn't matter what I think, when I am qualified to have an informed opinion is also offensive.