Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ddrapayo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Sep 2008, 7:06 pm

I went to a New york yankees baseball game a couple weeks ago. It was a great game (even though they lost) except for what happened before it. The dude filling in For Bob Shepperd came over the PA before the game and said that modell's had donated big bucks to autism speaks. Then, they had the president of Autism Speaks come out and have the Modells' Big Whig give him a check for a ton of money. I found it disgusting that the yankees and Models', two orginizations that I like, could be involved in this. I wanted to boo, but feared an usher would kick me out, so I just sat in silence while the rest of the crowd cheered.

srriv345
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 8:43 pm

I'm also a Yankee fan. Oh dear. I know that the organization, like many others who support Autism Speaks, is probably just clueless, but it's still cringe-worthy. I would write them a letter and say that this will stop me from buying tickets and merchandise...but I'd be lying.

DiabloDave363
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 10:40 pm

im a sox fan and ya, u can guess my thoughts on the yankees. NOT THE YANKEES FANS! just the team. now i hate them twice as much!

ddrapayo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Sep 2008, 2:26 pm

srriv345 wrote:
I'm also a Yankee fan. Oh dear. I know that the organization, like many others who support Autism Speaks, is probably just clueless, but it's still cringe-worthy. I would write them a letter and say that this will stop me from buying tickets and merchandise...but I'd be lying.

If the Autism Speaks stuff doesn't stop you from buying tickets next year, the prices at the new stadium may.

chocoholic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2008, 8:36 pm

ddrapayo wrote:
srriv345 wrote:

If the Autism Speaks stuff doesn't stop you from buying tickets next year, the prices at the new stadium may.

Tell me about it. It'll eventually get to the point where working class people like me won't be able to afford to be fans anymore, other than maybe watching the games on TV.

And speaking of TV, I'm so sick of seeing these Autism Speaks commercials during just about every game and how they make it out to be this big horrible thing for all of us. I watch the games because I'm a Yankee fan who wants to enjoy a baseball game, not be reminded that there are certain people out there that are against us. I get enough reminders of that in real life, thank you very much.

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 1:14 am

ddrapayo wrote:
I went to a New york yankees baseball game a couple weeks ago. It was a great game (even though they lost) except for what happened before it. The dude filling in For Bob Shepperd came over the PA before the game and said that modell's had donated big bucks to autism speaks. Then, they had the president of Autism Speaks come out and have the Modells' Big Whig give him a check for a ton of money. I found it disgusting that the yankees and Models', two orginizations that I like, could be involved in this. I wanted to boo, but feared an usher would kick me out, so I just sat in silence while the rest of the crowd cheered.

Disgusting is right, I mean this low.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 1:54 pm

Yet another reason the Yankees suck :twisted:

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

steelback
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2008, 7:09 pm

They won't listen to anybody else until someone famous speaks up for them.

GO METS!

(Actually I'm a Jays fan, but we don't have a National League team here in Canada anymore, so I'm a free-agent NL supporter.)

bloop
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Sep 2008, 1:59 pm

srriv345 wrote:

Why not write them a letter and tell them WHY their support of Autism speaks is misguided (although you are sure they meant it in all innocence)? Get your friends to write in too.

They might respond to something from the heart rather than the usual reactionary lie (and they know it's a lie) that you'll never buy tickets again.

They might not, but at least you will have done your bit & spoken up. "All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing", and all that jazz..

matsuiny2004
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 4:42 pm

bloop wrote:
srriv345 wrote:

Why not write them a letter and tell them WHY their support of Autism speaks is misguided (although you are sure they meant it in all innocence)? Get your friends to write in too.

They might respond to something from the heart rather than the usual reactionary lie (and they know it's a lie) that you'll never buy tickets again.

They might not, but at least you will have done your bit & spoken up. "All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing", and all that jazz..

actual thinking like a business person they would care about your complaint as long as you say you are a fan or really like the yankees. If there is any implication they could lose money, especially through bad word of mouth they will hear what you have to say. CEO's and top companies see word of mouth as the best form of advertising. This will at least apply to the US.

surveys are scientific, they have numbers in them- me (satire)

bloop
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Sep 2008, 2:42 pm

matsuiny2004 wrote:
bloop wrote:
srriv345 wrote:

actual thinking like a business person they would care about your complaint as long as you say you are a fan or really like the yankees. If there is any implication they could lose money, especially through bad word of mouth they will hear what you have to say. CEO's and top companies see word of mouth as the best form of advertising. This will at least apply to the US.

Yep, your principles are correct, but you need to match your size. I admit I don't know what it's like in the US, but I can't imagine a corporation the size and with the power of the Yankees will care about 1 person's threat, especially as they would see it as an idle one. Of course they'd never say this publically, which is the key - make it public, get HUNDREDS of people to write in threatening aboycott of a particular game, and a protest outside. It's got to be something big to make them think they were wrong to give such a large amount of money and public support to a charity that they think is worthy of supporting.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 2:56 pm

As far as boycotting Yankee Stadium, I personally would never be caught dead on those bleachers, but that may be just because I'm an avid STL Cardinals supporter, which from what I hear is as bad in New York as a Red Sox fan. But that's just hearsay.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Hbomb89
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Sep 2008, 3:01 pm

Looks like you need a new Baseball team to support? You should support the Cardinals from now on! Hehe

But on to more serious matters. I am not surprised, big and powerful organizations like sports teams and Austism Speaks are known for collaborating. Only a very small minority of people know what autism is...even less know what Aspergers is. A lot of people in this country do not have proper awareness on what autism is and are easily suckered into causes like "Autism speaks."

How "Autism speaks" gets their money and new supports is not much different than how other knee-jerk organizations such as "Save Darfur" and "Students for a Free Tibet" attract their flock of ignorant people. They all appeal mostly to emotions, they use false logic, they disregard history and demographics. The Yankee's team owner is not knowledgable about the topic of Autism so of course his emotions will be swayed by whatever kind yet deceptive half-truths the chairman of Autism Speaks would spew out.

matsuiny2004
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 3:40 pm

here is the page to email suggestions (can be complaints) and questions.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/help/ema ... es.mlb.com

surveys are scientific, they have numbers in them- me (satire)

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 5:58 pm

Ugg, those poor ignorant fools. I'd like to join everyone else in saying Autism Speaks is outright evil, but it's just so much ignorance. Lord knows ignorance is not innocence. Why must people be so rigid?

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 10:51 am

The Yankees and Autism Speaks you say?

As a curenot and a Red Sox fan, this is truly a match made in the pits of the Inferno.