Page 2 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 1:23 am

Maybe if we all get together and wish hard enough we can make that review writer suddenly inexplicably develop "adult onset" Asperger's and spend the rest of his life as a medical study item.
Maybe :?:

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 9:20 am

southwestforests wrote:
Maybe if we all get together and wish hard enough we can make that review writer suddenly inexplicably develop "adult onset" Asperger's and spend the rest of his life as a medical study item.

Well, considering how he clearly set out to insult as many people with aspergers with his article. You'd have to say by his own diagnostic criteria, he already qualifies as an aspie.

Arcanyn
Toucan
Toucan

01 Aug 2009, 10:34 am

southwestforests wrote:

Yes, if we just had that cure for neurotypicality . . . :twisted:

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 3:56 pm

Woodpecker wrote:
Oh ! "I know at least two people with Asperger’s." that sounds like a new version of the code phrase

"Some of by best friends are..... black, jewish, gay, white, catholic, students or something else..... but ....."

which means the person is about to say something bigoted.

He could have at least avoided pulling-out a line repeated so many times that it's impossible to see it as valid excuse for nastiness anymore. :roll:

Michjo wrote:
southwestforests wrote:

Well, considering how he clearly set out to insult as many people with aspergers with his article. You'd have to say by his own diagnostic criteria, he already qualifies as an aspie.

Not to mention not understanding the consequences of one's actions. Mr. Reed obviously is obviously lacking a 'social imagination'.

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.

Victor
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Aug 2009, 4:59 pm

People generally don't like us because we have difficulty properly labeling ourselves as "nonthreatening". We don't know how. This forces NTs to think on their own and while for many this is not a problem others have difficulties. Some wind up confused and mad about it, some decide we're threats and hate us, some pity us and try to "help". This writer appears to be one of the ones unaccustomed to individual thought, and probably honestly believes what he's saying, for whatever reason.

Katie_WPG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Aug 2009, 8:54 am

"Almost without exception, they leave you perplexed, riddled with doubt and totally depressed."

Sounds like a few NT's I know. Ditto with "they refuse to explain themselves" bit.

geedee
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 11:59 am

I regard the Rex Reed’s review of ‘Adam’ as a hate crime, even if unintended.

The author should not pretend to talk about the condition with any authority and should be reprimanded for abusing his position of influence to spread lies and half-truths.

His views about the condition may have been informed by the film which I thought was largely a patronising and clichéd portrayal with some insulting details such depicting him wearing a space suit and a horrendous association, even if unintended, with child molesters.

I think the film had an educational agenda but I think it will spread more damage than enlightenment and further alienate a sensitive population.

This film and the review are bad news for the asperger’s population.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2009, 12:03 am

srriv345 wrote:
The New York Observer has published a bigoted review of "Adam" by Rex Reed. Amongst other things, the review claims that becoming romantically involved with Asperger's autistics is "lethal." We are stereotyped as self-involved and incapable of caring for other people.

If you have the time and inclination, it's worthwhile to send a letter to the editor at [email protected] . Letters should not be more than 250 words and should include your name and address or telephone number.
i'm not too inclined to do that kind of writing or generally very good at it most times. but this has me supremely tempted to write an outraged, but calm and collected letter that will make him feel small, ashamed, insignificant, and fearful for his reputation. to say the least. I'm going to erect a metaphorical stake and burn him at it with my superior intellect.

Lung_Drac
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Aug 2009, 12:02 am

I thought I was going to explode instead of implode after I read the review. If I could meet Rex Reed, then I can really prove him wrong.

I have Aspergers disorder, as you may have predicted. But I do feel empathy. I yearn to be touched, contrary to this idiot's belief; I can explain things with a good vocabulary, I am strong at understanding, I can receive and exchange emotions of others, I care about people's feelings very much, I care about their needs and priorities. I cried at every funeral I've been to, and at times I still cry for my dead loved ones. I'm even tearing up now as I've written this.

While I can't bring myself to look in people's eyes, I still glance. And, at times, sometimes I don't know when I'm being rude, but I will fix that. It's not that I can't cope with people in general, it's because at times I want to be by myself, since it's better that I am alone at times. And being in love with someone that has Aspergers disorder isn't lethal. They have cared, and they always will. And if I ever see Rex, I'm going to go up to him and tell him how wrong he is. Who supports me?

GreatCeleryStalk
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2009, 1:11 am

Sad to see this sort of thing happening; journalists used to do their research before writing articles.

I once received harsh discipline at a (former) job because my supervisor didn't feel that my reaction was "emotional enough." Just because people with AS don't know how to express their emotions doesn't mean they don't feel them.

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2009, 8:03 am

Man its a classic case of the Nt man trying to keep us down.

But in all honesty what is the reviewers problem I like the concept of showing the world we're not all rainman

OutlawSteph

04 Aug 2009, 3:39 pm

If you take out the 2nd paragraph, it's a good review. :?

serenitynow

06 Aug 2009, 12:36 am

"It is lethal to get involved romantically with any person with Asperger’s syndrome, since they care nothing about other people’s feelings, needs or priorities."

Shame on him for making such an ignorant statement.
I have hope for all people, including my AS teenager, to have the same chance as anyone for love in their life. How awful for anyone to lose out because they have been "warned against getting involved with anyone with AS".
Yes I wrote to the editor. Yes, I'm pissed off.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 2:32 am

To insult an entire group in writing like that, could that not be construed as libel? We could have a case against him.

At any rate, this writer is a stupid f**k. The next time I see a copy of the New York Observer i'm going to set it on fire. And the next time someone wants to write s**t about me in a newspaper, I'll write s**t about them... in a Death Note.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 3:07 am

Ok, after calming down I sent this email to the address the OP gave:

Quote:
Dear Editor of the New York Observer:

I am writing to register my disgust at several comments stated in Rex Reed's entertainment review of the new movie "Adam" that was recently published in the Observer. Of particular concern to myself and several of my associates is the description that Reed gave of Asperger's Syndrome in the review. I understand, since living with Asperger's is of key importance in the movie's plot, that the reviewer would wish to give readers general knowledge of the condition. However, my associates and I believe that Reed crossed the line of free speech when he stated the following comments in his review:

"Far from just another exotic Disease of the Week, Asperger’s is an incurable neurological disorder similar to autism that turns outwardly normal-looking people into high-class idiot savants."

"[People with Asperger's] are incapable of thinking of anyone or anything outside of themselves."

As an adult diagnosed with Aspergers, I believe (as do many of my associates on the Asperger's community site www.wrongplanet.net) that the above comments are insulting, stereotypical, and bordering on libel. Reed mentioned in his article that he personally knew two people with Asperger's, and it is possible that he may have been basing his description of Aspergers on the behavior of these acquaintances. Nevertheless, I feel that his aforementioned comments, in addition to being highly deragatory for those diagnosed with Asperger's, presents to the general public a negative connotation of the disorder. Therefore, my associates at WrongPlanet, along with myself, respectfully request a retraction of Reed's comments and/or a public apology.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Sincerely,

[real name ommited in post] a.k.a. "Roxas_XIII"
Member of WrongPlanet Online Asperger's Community
www.wrongplanet.net

What do you think? I personally believe that I gave the editor an accurate description as to the general opinion on the matter, politely asked him to retract the statement, and gently laced it with the threat of a libel accusation, all the while carrying a civil, conversational, and politically correct tone. Not bad for a "high-class idiot savant".

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 1:45 pm

Looks great, Roxas. You didn't go over the top or cross any lines. It read as professional, cool, and to-the-point. Very effective.

Heck, no reason it can't be a template for anyone wondering what to write or how to write it.