Yes - Because of intolerance solely. 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
Yes - Due to a combination of the above. 18%  18%  [ 5 ]
No - Autism is not a difference that costs society money. 64%  64%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 28

amber_missy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jan 2011, 8:32 am

The national cost of bringing a child (any child - with/without disabilities!) into the world, paying for it's health care, food production, education, etc., cost the state an awful lot more than a condom...

Prevent national security risks! Buy a condom now!! !

Seriously - what?

To me the whole lot does sound very "nazi" like - You're suggesting to get rid of anyone who costs the country more than a "normal" person* to prevent the government spending extra money on them when they could be buying bombs for national security! Sorry - sounds slightly crazy to me!

*people with asthma need inhalers
people who smoke / drink / take legal/illegal drugs usually need more care than those who don't
people who break their leg need a splint / crutches
people who are injured in wars protecting our country may need round-the-clock care
people who get old can need round-the-clock care - some of who will have been involved in fighting for the country at some point!

Please go away and re-think your arguament - you might as well say smoking causes a national security risk...!

ci
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 1:51 pm

amber_missy wrote:
The national cost of bringing a child (any child - with/without disabilities!) into the world, paying for it's health care, food production, education, etc., cost the state an awful lot more than a condom...

Prevent national security risks! Buy a condom now!! !

Seriously - what?

To me the whole lot does sound very "nazi" like - You're suggesting to get rid of anyone who costs the country more than a "normal" person* to prevent the government spending extra money on them when they could be buying bombs for national security! Sorry - sounds slightly crazy to me!

*people with asthma need inhalers
people who smoke / drink / take legal/illegal drugs usually need more care than those who don't
people who break their leg need a splint / crutches
people who are injured in wars protecting our country may need round-the-clock care
people who get old can need round-the-clock care - some of who will have been involved in fighting for the country at some point!

Please go away and re-think your arguament - you might as well say smoking causes a national security risk...!

Here we go with the Nazi stuff again. No I clearly talked about cultural integration and a lack of diversity being a risk and not diversity itself existing as that would be unethical to blame diversity existing in the first place. This topic is about subjectively picking apart what others perceived as a national security risk. I pick apart these topics.

Smoking being a national security risk?

Yes smoking is a national security risk just as obesity is. The more people that smoke the less able they are to serve optimally should the country be attacked. The more obesity there is the less able our country is to defend itself. While not politically correct the more individuals born with a disability that disqualify them from serving the less able the country is to defend itself. However what proponents of war have said is they enjoy costing the government money by costing tax-payers money so to prevent the ability for war to happen. This topic branches out into the mainstream political arena. So yes albeit differing from a hardened physical terrorist risk yes autism and other disabilities collectively are a risk to national security. Ultimately it is the nature of the human condition and it's tendency to be war like that is the root national security risk.

Personally I am much less inclined to take much of anything personally as long as the analysis requires simply logic and does not imply I myself for having autism that I intend to be a national security risk. People who call others Nazi's typically have delusional imbalances and are a political risk to there point of view. Enter the topic in a rational way.

Are old people a risk to national security.

Not really because culturally and societally we are expected to take care of the older folks. If at anytime we are unable to do this just like for those with DD we have failed to protect these populations. Note though I am higher functioning. The only way old people can be a risk to national security is if the water was tainted and they went mad becoming zombies like in a movie I watched one time. Causation of risks does not always mean malicious intent. Being able to rationalize topics is important for common sense reasons and getting offended is a loss of productivity in the making.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu2NqfISm9k&feature=relateds[/youtube]

sillycat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jan 2011, 10:49 am

Aspies would be the perfect spy. They keep to themselves, they are highly intelligent, blend in (keep to themselves). Think about how well a Aspie spy in an army would be placed? Sure people think of spy work as being all James Bond, sexy, in a tux, with him snapping necks zipping on a wire while the reds shoot at him, and he detonates a satelite with a mirror lazer and wrestles some humongous Sumo wrestler who throws a hat while Parkoring on a thin electric live wire.

But spy work, or recon demans strict disciplen, and slience.... if anything Aspies would be the perfect asset to national security. Just plop some Personal health aides to Kim Jong's bedroom, have them snap his neck,

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 12:10 pm

I thought this had to do with airports... guess I was wrong... Especially with the sensory issues people with autism tend to have... Though... I don't mind it really...

ci
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 12:19 pm

The issue is highly abstract and not as evident initially unless fully understood in the complexity.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 10:55 am

ci why do you always come across so down about people with autism and aspergers.your posts are so critical of us.i dont understand you and your posts.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 12:07 pm

if what your saying is that autism a national security risk because it is expensive to the dept.of social services than that aplies to many many people.i dont get your point.anyone with a disability could fall into that catagorie or anyone on welfare or anyone incarserated.this could also mean public sevants like,police,fire ambulance driver and politicians because there salary and pension comes from the tax payers money.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 2:25 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
ci why do you always come across so down about people with autism and aspergers.your posts are so critical of us.i dont understand you and your posts.

I challenge points of view not people and how they are. It does get confusing when people say unless you think a certain way you don't have autism. I think there has been allot of online social peer pressure. You got to conform to some aspie perspective and I've been never a social clique person because I'm used to not fitting in, not caring to fit in and enjoy thinking as the observer. Also I do not like being called aspie, autie, autistic and just enjoy being me. I may not fit in because I really don't have the desire to but for the longest time online advocacy has been a waste to me because there is always been a resistance to my thinking for myself and so people hate me for it and I don't really mind that.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 2:28 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
if what your saying is that autism a national security risk because it is expensive to the dept.of social services than that aplies to many many people.i dont get your point.anyone with a disability could fall into that catagorie or anyone on welfare or anyone incarserated.this could also mean public sevants like,police,fire ambulance driver and politicians because there salary and pension comes from the tax payers money.

If 1+1 equals two but it must still equal 1 for sensitivity + special interest reasons to not include then no one will see adaptive advancements. Unless society accepts there is a diversity problem and lack of spirit to include we all will be left out. Again I was told autism was a national security concern. I sought to understand why someone would say that. Technically it is but to an elephant scared of a mouse a mouse might also be afraid of the elephant if the mouse bothers to notice.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 2:41 pm

sillycat wrote:
Aspies would be the perfect spy. They keep to themselves, they are highly intelligent, blend in (keep to themselves). Think about how well a Aspie spy in an army would be placed? Sure people think of spy work as being all James Bond, sexy, in a tux, with him snapping necks zipping on a wire while the reds shoot at him, and he detonates a satelite with a mirror lazer and wrestles some humongous Sumo wrestler who throws a hat while Parkoring on a thin electric live wire.

But spy work, or recon demans strict disciplen, and slience.... if anything Aspies would be the perfect asset to national security. Just plop some Personal health aides to Kim Jong's bedroom, have them snap his neck,

That may be the case yes. The military said I could not serve because of my disabilities. However I am not sure if I could ever bring myself to harming someones neck.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 3:39 pm

i read both responses to my post.i still dont know how you can say autistics are a national security threat.were a very low risk for violence and welfare and food stamps are a far greater burdon on our tax dollars than a group of people who are less than 1% of the population.i dont get your point,post or even what you ask of us to be less of a quote"security threat" end of quote.what is the point of your post

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

14 Jan 2011, 4:36 pm

Culturally and societally, we should be expected to take care of people with disabilities, just as we're expected to take care of older people.

Autistic people aren't a risk to national security just on the basis of cost.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 5:26 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Culturally and societally, we should be expected to take care of people with disabilities, just as we're expected to take care of older people.

Autistic people aren't a risk to national security just on the basis of cost.

In that context perhaps not but I'd hate to be seeing just the technicalities in spite of the dignity issue. Fact is fact and to ignore fact is against my religion.

IvyMike
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jan 2011, 8:24 pm

Pistonhead wrote:
People capable of independent thought are a risk to national security. You should all be assimilated, it's for your own good.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

XD

I think some of that is true, people with autism may not be dangerous physically, but I don't think we conform mentally. Are they going to put us in gulags like political dissidents?

Makes me want to leave america.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 8:28 pm

IvyMike wrote:
Pistonhead wrote:
People capable of independent thought are a risk to national security. You should all be assimilated, it's for your own good.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

XD

I think some of that is true, people with autism may not be dangerous physically, but I don't think we conform mentally. Are they going to put us in gulags like political dissidents?

Makes me want to leave america.

I really don't think the statements are based on reality. I am trying to understand this mentality of persecution in this and similar contexts.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 8:34 pm

you have made a great argument as to why entitlements,social security and welfare are a threat to national prosperity.a great post for a concervative political forum.which i have no problem with i myself have never voted democrat i have always voted rebublican.however your post fails to show what autistic people are or are not doing to be a national security risk.being a financial burdon is applicable to millions of people.where is the connection with autism and national security.you have failed to show it.your post is not only hurtful and alienating but intelectualy bankrupt