Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2008, 6:07 pm

While I like the idea of the ribbons actually being for autism awareness, I am fairly sure that these aren't meant to show acceptance but instead are for "awareness" to try to find a cure. They might not be to all people who buy them, but that's what I've always thought when I see those ribbons.

CrabbyMomma
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Apr 2008, 6:22 pm

My daughter is distributing ribbons throughout her school for Autism Awareness month. She and her brother have decided that Autism Awareness month should be like Black History month, where you learn about exceptional things people with autism have done. DD is young, the ribbons are pretty and colorful, the kids see them as cool. I don't think it's bad to have something bright and colorful associated with autism. And the puzzle is perfect because so many people don't understand. DS has pointed out that he likes it because the different color pieces implies that though people are all different they still all fit together.

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Apr 2008, 6:27 pm

Got mine from the ASA and also thats where I got the In case of Emergency stickers also. As a parent you have to take the fact into account that these situations MAY present themselves.

If only closed minds came with closed mouths. Lau: "But where would they put their feet?" Postpaleo: "Up their ass."

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 10:40 pm

Ryn wrote:
While I like the idea of the ribbons actually being for autism awareness, I am fairly sure that these aren't meant to show acceptance but instead are for "awareness" to try to find a cure. They might not be to all people who buy them, but that's what I've always thought when I see those ribbons.

The ASA, who came up with the puzzle ribbon, is not a curebie organization.

They didn't have curing in mind when they got the idea. They promote acceptance.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

headphase
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 11:52 pm

To hell with ribbons, donate to charities with you want to support a cause.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 7:48 am

reika wrote:
I have one and I also have a sticker on my cars rear window that says

"In case of emergency, occupant with Autism. May run away, not respond, resist help"........On a positive note...I also have had a brake light out for about 7 months and had a cop right behind me on 4 separate occasions (one of them even turned around to get behind me then changed his mind and drove off.) and they NEVER even give me a warning.
They just don't want to deal with whatever situation MAY occur for a brake light a friend(whos a cop) of an accquaintance said. It would have to be of much more importance for them to pull me over. The situation with an autistic person can go badly so quickly its just not worth it.
All the people at work want one now. :D

LOL. My partner and I have done similar. We both work in the same place, and all of the staff and our employers know we are Aspies, having been shown the basics and told about it in detail. We also happened to mention the Disability Discrimination Act in passing, and now our employer appears to have the fear, and is much nicer and more polite with us than any other employee, present or past. He has apparently been sued before and won, but also knows that the DDA is, militarily speaking, a very big stick to beat someone with. Tu s we have a reasonable amount of job security, which is a very nice thing for an autistic.

As for the OP ... Whether you agree with the principles behind the individual emblem or not, the very fact that the ribbon brings the subject up for discussion can surely only be a good thing.. promoting "awareness" in fact. The more frank and open discussion there is about the nature of autism, the more likely those with no knowledge are to seek it out, rather than just believe the first thing they are told.

Though I also think that the rainbow colour jigsaw thing is eye-wateringly tasteless.

Tokiodarling21
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Feb 2011, 12:47 am

I use different variations of the puzzle ribbon when it comes to use of design (for my Puzzle Peace movement) for instance here: this is the 'official' way to use the Autism ribbon if you support my movement.

And here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40576589@N07/5409826760/

The latter is of course an ad design for the Radio Rally idea I had for this April and the design for the puzzle ribbon in that ad display's the featured band's logo. This is only for promo purposes and not permanant.

As an opinion on whether or not the ribbon for Autism should change, I think Autism Speaks has pretty much tried that already why else would there be ppl wearing blue and walking around wearing blue puzzle neckties (besides to look rediculous of course! :lol: ) I think the ASA puzzle ribbon works much better. After all, we're a spectrum of INDIVIDUALS! we're not the same as LFA peeps and we're not all HFA/Aspies. We're different and that's what I think the puzzle ribbon is meant to symbolize (to put it into perspective)

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 8:58 am

Tokiodarling21 wrote:
I use different variations of the puzzle ribbon when it comes to use of design (for my Puzzle Peace movement) for instance here: this is the 'official' way to use the Autism ribbon if you support my movement.

And here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40576589@N07/5409826760/

The latter is of course an ad design for the Radio Rally idea I had for this April and the design for the puzzle ribbon in that ad display's the featured band's logo. This is only for promo purposes and not permanant.

As an opinion on whether or not the ribbon for Autism should change, I think Autism Speaks has pretty much tried that already why else would there be ppl wearing blue and walking around wearing blue puzzle neckties (besides to look rediculous of course! :lol: ) I think the ASA puzzle ribbon works much better. After all, we're a spectrum of INDIVIDUALS! we're not the same as LFA peeps and we're not all HFA/Aspies. We're different and that's what I think the puzzle ribbon is meant to symbolize (to put it into perspective)

You should try designing your own logo instead of painting over a pre-existing logo in MS Paint.

I'm not trying to be an as*hole, it's just a suggestion.

amber_missy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Feb 2011, 9:00 am

Delirium wrote:
Tokiodarling21 wrote:
I use different variations of the puzzle ribbon when it comes to use of design (for my Puzzle Peace movement)

You should try designing your own logo instead of painting over a pre-existing logo in MS Paint.

Especially when there are copywrite issues involved and you could get sued!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 12:43 pm

I don't need to have an awareness ribbon. I celebrate Autism Acceptance Month every day of the year, by wearing things that are related to my special interests.

Tokiodarling21
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Mar 2011, 1:24 am

amber_missy wrote:
Delirium wrote:
Tokiodarling21 wrote:
I use different variations of the puzzle ribbon when it comes to use of design (for my Puzzle Peace movement)

Especially when there are copywrite issues involved and you could get sued!

How's this
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40576589@N07/5488273444/ http://www.flickr.com/people/40576589@N07/

ci
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 1:35 am

Acceptance goes two ways. Accepting people want cures (treatments developed) and appreciating the laws that are already held intact for the human rights to receive a cure or not. Removing the awareness for cure as if it is insulting, discrimination or something to be angry at other people about all the time is evading the right to choice for these treatment to be developed and to receive cures (treatments).

Cure awareness does not symbolize hate crimes as another poster mentioned. I have autism and I know that sort of idea to be propaganda and a false fact. How about acceptance beginning with the truth. Good public relations approaches seeking acceptance are mutually respectful.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Mar 2011, 8:36 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I don't need to have an awareness ribbon. I celebrate Autism Acceptance Month every day of the year, by wearing things that are related to my special interests.

I couldn't have said it better. While I don't physically wear things related to my special intense interests, I definitely allow those around me to know about them. Many around me know I have autism, and they know I celebrate and enjoy my differences.

ducky9924
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Mar 2011, 2:21 am

ci wrote:
Acceptance goes two ways. Accepting people want cures (treatments developed) and appreciating the laws that are already held intact for the human rights to receive a cure or not. Removing the awareness for cure as if it is insulting, discrimination or something to be angry at other people about all the time is evading the right to choice for these treatment to be developed and to receive cures (treatments).

Cure awareness does not symbolize hate crimes as another poster mentioned. I have autism and I know that sort of idea to be propaganda and a false fact. How about acceptance beginning with the truth. Good public relations approaches seeking acceptance are mutually respectful.

The real problem is that the spectrum kinda lumps everyone together.

Those who have severe cases are obviously going to be upset if told they don't need a cure or treatments, because that's a lie.
At the same time, people on the other side of the spectrum are going to get upset if they are told they need to be cured. Telling them that they need to be cured is akin to telling a gay man he needs to be cured of the gay.

The public in the meantime is a simple minded beast. Trying to get them to understand that Autism needs to both be cured and accepted is probably too much for them to handle.

So yeah... it's hard. It's kinda a shame there is so much variance in the spectrum. Makes the PR difficult. :(

ci
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 3:26 am

ducky9924 wrote:
ci wrote:

Those who have severe cases are obviously going to be upset if told they don't need a cure or treatments, because that's a lie.
At the same time, people on the other side of the spectrum are going to get upset if they are told they need to be cured. Telling them that they need to be cured is akin to telling a gay man he needs to be cured of the gay.

The public in the meantime is a simple minded beast. Trying to get them to understand that Autism needs to both be cured and accepted is probably too much for them to handle.

So yeah... it's hard. It's kinda a shame there is so much variance in the spectrum. Makes the PR difficult. :(

Actually there are those of all parts of the spectrum that choose improvements. It's perfectly ok for others to reject advancements to enhance their options. It's not gay to choose no treatments. Cure is a vague terminology and can be inclusion / integration such as social skills, occupational, community participation, medication if needed when chosen and maybe even other things.

Cure can also be called adaptation, chosen alteration when applicable, evolutionary and when no change is chosen or deemed unnecessary it's just human rights or not needed. I don't mind supporting individuals choice not receive voluntary treatment, adaption(s) and so on. Cure in idea is societies way of helping, caring and loving. Some modification is needed in projected mentalities but I do not have much control over that creative expression.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

ducky9924
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Mar 2011, 4:00 pm

ci wrote:
ducky9924 wrote:
ci wrote:

Actually there are those of all parts of the spectrum that choose improvements. It's perfectly ok for others to reject advancements to enhance their options. It's not gay to choose no treatments. Cure is a vague terminology and can be inclusion / integration such as social skills, occupational, community participation, medication if needed when chosen and maybe even other things.

Cure can also be called adaptation, chosen alteration when applicable, evolutionary and when no change is chosen or deemed unnecessary it's just human rights or not needed. I don't mind supporting individuals choice not receive voluntary treatment, adaption(s) and so on. Cure in idea is societies way of helping, caring and loving. Some modification is needed in projected mentalities but I do not have much control over that creative expression.

ok, this is like the 3rd time you've put words in my mouth. I never said it was gay to refuse treatments.

And cure does NOT mean any of those things. Those things are not in the dictionary and that's not what comes to mind when you tell someone you're going to cure something. You don't get to invent definitions. Cure mean's getting rid of a disease. When you say you're going to cure something, you're calling it a disease. That's why some people get so mad.