Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

desdemona
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Oct 2011, 1:38 pm

I haven't posted here in ages, but I am really ticked. I watched this last night. I think this is an Autism Speaks shrill. At least I didn't see anyone from the Autism Society (I don't know they went).
All about cures and so on. Some of it was interesting re: differences in the brain.

They interviewed a few Asperger kids. All but one was highly negative claiming to have a miserable horrible existence. Zero parents stated that they wanted to love and respect their children as they were regardless of their prognosis. Zero of the researchers (probably would not have interviewed them) discussed anything like any possible strengths of autistic people. Yuck!
One more thing, they didn't include any genetic patterns beyond identical twins (for instance parents, grandparents) who were autistic.

Sorry I had to vent.

I did find this site, there are videos too somewhere. This is a parent project.
http://www.taaproject.com
The videos show the difference in affect between children accepted and those who aren't!

--des

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 4:19 pm

can you link the video. i do a lot of research and it would be good to add this to a list of sources i can use.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 4:34 pm

aspie48 wrote:
can you link the video. i do a lot of research and it would be good to add this to a list of sources i can use.

There have also been two people on here as of late who have told us to be open and consider autism speaks thoughtfully. Now let's see if we should consider them like we always did.

desdemona
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Oct 2011, 6:12 pm

I never this video on youtube or anything. I saw it on tv. The following is all I could find-- I believe these are some short segments.
http://www.kpbs.org/news/2011/apr/07/decoding-autism/

I think I did consider this carefully and thoughtfully. Recall that I stated I was upset by it. I found the brain research parts very interesting. I did not care for the tone that stated quite clearly that autism was universally a bad thing that must be cured.

--des

Gedrene wrote:
aspie48 wrote:

There have also been two people on here as of late who have told us to be open and consider autism speaks thoughtfully. Now let's see if we should consider them like we always did.