MoreThanThat
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Apr 2016, 11:31 am

ArielsSong wrote:
MoreThanThat wrote:
ArielsSong wrote:
MoreThanThat wrote:
So LFAs and MFAs must continue having language or intellectual impairments because these autistics most likely want to have no ability to communicate, want to continue hurting themselves via SIBs, want to continue being unable to live independent, autonomous lives and will resent being given the abilities to communicate, stop hurting themselves & their families, and live as autonomous, self-determing individuals ? Is that what you are saying ?

I'm saying where do you draw the line with your 'cure'? How much of the person do you change before you're happy with them? Are you really happy with the idea of medically rewiring a loved one's brain?

Your statements contain such hyperbole ! ! "Rewiring an entire brain" -- are you sure that remediating specific impairments wouls call for "tewiring an entire brain" ? And quite frankly, if such rewiring removed the significantly negative aspects of autism - such as aggression, SIBs and a total inability to communicate, then why not ? What do you have against removing these inclinations (especially if you dont personally experience them) ?

BTW, aside from ASAN's claims that "curing autism will change one's "personality"", is there actual research to show that this is indeed the case ?? Or is this assertion just a classical strawman intended to blame and shame those that do want a cure ? None of the list of character traits mentioned in one of the posts above are cornered by autistics, including obsessions with special interests.

I didn't include the word 'entire'. You've added that yourself.

I think I'm concluding from this that what you're looking for is not a cure for autism after all, otherwise you would understand how a personality would change, I think. There are a long list of traits that come under autism. Of course, if you remove or change that many traits you're going to be left with a different person. Heck, changing even one or two can make a huge difference.

There are no personality traits on which autistics corner the market, including obsessive special interests or self stimulatory behavior. If there are, please give me references and citations to back up this claim. Thank you.

donaar
Raven
Raven

14 Apr 2016, 11:43 am

MoreThanThat wrote:

Another strawman is that a cure would prevent autistic people from being born ! ! ! Prenatal tests for Down's syndrome has not prevented children with Down's from being born, so that is not even a valid reasoning. Parents and families have the right to know if their unborn child may be autistic. IMO, the worst abuses against autistics are perpetrated by those who do not have the ability to care for them. Some people are not fit to be parents. So by opposing prenatal tests for autism, you are doing some autistics a bad turn by allowing them to be born into families that will be so overwhelmed by the care needed that they will turn on the very souls that they are supposed to love and protect and cherish. I am positive that is not at all your intention ?

...(trimming fat of post)

The final strawman is attempting to prevent a cure in those who are far more severely impacted than you are and lacking even basic communication skills by insisting that they should make their own decisions (knowing perfectly well that they probably can't speak for themselves) ! ! This does sound like something that anyone who actually wants to improve the quality of life of MFAs and LFAs would assert.

ya see rather than never giving someone the chance to live just because the parents were not ready why not let someone adopt the child instead of killing them befor they are even born. i personally would have no problem adopting an autistic child when i finally get settled down and possibly get married (never been a fan of marriage)

hmmm you keep on asserting that level 3 autistics (the correct term) that are non speaking cant communicate but the majority if them can learn to with the right help and the use of one of the many different kinds of AACs. you also keep asserting that non speaking autistics would want a cure without asking them i believe we have quite a few non speaking autistics on this forum and probly level 3s as well

also in the fat i trimmed you mentioned people hurting them selves and i would defiantly rather keep hurting my self (some of my stims are "self harming" and i tend to hurt myself during meltdowns) than have my autism attempted to be cured because it does no matter what you say involve altering the structure of the brain and changing its structure does and has been proven to change personality and can also cause major memory damage even if the area altered has nothing to do with memory it still alters everything else is minor ways

Aq: 37

lordfakename
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Apr 2016, 2:09 pm

I don't claim to speak for non-verbal autistics. Why do you, OP?

EDIT: Yes, this is a little confrontational. Frankly, however, you are starting to annoy me.

MoreThanThat

14 Apr 2016, 2:25 pm

lordfakename wrote:

You don't but ASAN does.

As for annoying you -- oh well. Not my problem.

lordfakename
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Apr 2016, 2:29 pm

MoreThanThat wrote:
lordfakename wrote:

You don't but ASAN does.

But why do you?

MoreThanThat

14 Apr 2016, 2:51 pm

lordfakename wrote:
MoreThanThat wrote:
lordfakename wrote:

You don't but ASAN does.

But why do you?

Why shouldn't I ? If ASAN can speak for all autistics in every part of the world and decry a cure for even those that cannot survive with their severe disabilities in countries with little to no benefit or support systems in place, then i can speak for my loved one with moderate autism. Everything is not about what Ari Ne'eman and American ASAN wants and what he and other American aitustics do not want. Their propaganda about unicorns, fairies and autism in benefit rich coubtries does not match the ground realities faced by autistics.. say, in Indonesia or Cambodia or Congo for whom a cure is a desperate need for survival past their parents' time.

DrHouseHasAspergers
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2016, 3:13 pm

MoreThanThat wrote:
lordfakename wrote:
MoreThanThat wrote:
lordfakename wrote:

You don't but ASAN does.

But why do you?

Why shouldn't I ? If ASAN can speak for all autistics in every part of the world and decry a cure for even those that cannot survive with their severe disabilities in countries with little to no benefit or support systems in place, then i can speak for my loved one with moderate autism. Everything is not about what Ari Ne'eman and American ASAN wants and what he and other American aitustics do not want. Their propaganda about unicorns, fairies and autism in benefit rich coubtries does not match the ground realities faced by autistics.. say, in Indonesia or Cambodia or Congo for whom a cure is a desperate need for survival past their parents' time.

Firstly, ASAN doesn't paint autism as rainbows, sunshine, and butterflies. It does make it a point that autism is not a terrible, end-of-the-world diagnosis and that having it does not make one a burden or suffering.

Secondly, it would be a heck of a lot more helpful to spend money on setting up support systems here and in other countries for autistics of all functioning levels rather than on some slim chance of finding a cure (if you ever do find a cure that can rewire someone's brain, let me know and we'll see if we can cure "NTism".) But in the meanwhile, what does trying to find a cure do to help autistics now?

bdot
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Apr 2016, 3:20 pm

MoreThanThat wrote:
lordfakename wrote:
MoreThanThat wrote:
lordfakename wrote:

You don't but ASAN does.

But why do you?

Tbh, you seem to be really hung up on ASAN. Have you noticed that no one else is going on about ASAN except you? What we're all doing is trying to explain our perspectives as autistic people to you. You seem to be having real trouble understanding what we are trying to convey to you and I think that's wilful ignorance rather than a cognitive difficulty. If you are more interested in laying into ASAN, go take it up with them instead of insulting some autistic people who are trying to engage in a discourse with you. You seem to be confused and thinking that we = ASAN for some reason.

lordfakename
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Apr 2016, 3:25 pm

MoreThanThat wrote:
lordfakename wrote:
MoreThanThat wrote:
lordfakename wrote:

You don't but ASAN does.

But why do you?

You didn't come into this in good faith, did you? You are not here to debate, no? You seem like you are here to rant about ASAN. Why don't you go write a strongly-worded email to them? You obviously have no interest in what (other) autistic people have to say about this matter.

bdot
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Apr 2016, 3:29 pm

MoreThanThat wrote:
bdot wrote:

To the OP:

Let's be honest about what a cure would entail. Since autism isn't a single entity and (at least according to current thinking) results from a high number of de novo genetic changes, a cure would have to involve changing a lot of a person's genetic code. Now that technology does not exist and will not exist for a long time, so the resources involved in finding that cure could be better spent helping to improve the lives of those who currently have ASD. But the more worrying aspect is that a "cure" will probably involve identifying genetic markers likely to lead to autism and stop the person being born at all. I could be wrong, but I think that is what worries so many autistic people.

You also need to think about those who were "written off" as low functioning children that would never be able to care for themselves who go on to have successful lives when they are able to adapt to the world and the world adapts to them. Would it be better that they never existed because their lives were difficult as children? I had a lot of problems when I was younger and the problems caused by ASD have made my life unbearable at times. I still have a myriad of social and sensory issues which cause me problems, but I also have a very successful career that few people could do precisely because my mind doesn't work like others'. So while I might have wished to be "cured" when I was younger, now that I understand myself and others understand me better, I see much more value in helping and supporting individuals than I do in curing them. But I don't think anyone here is arguing against a "cure" at all, only that no one should be given such a cure without their explicit consent, and that there are much better ways to help autistic people than "curing" them.

Well, good for you for overcoming your challenges as a child but you do realize that there are many LFAs and MFAs who will never be able to live independent lives or even communicate due to the severity of needs ?? What do you propose to do for these people ??

Another strawman is that a cure would prevent autistic people from being born ! ! ! Prenatal tests for Down's syndrome has not prevented children with Down's from being born, so that is not even a valid reasoning. Parents and families have the right to know if their unborn child may be autistic. IMO, the worst abuses against autistics are perpetrated by those who do not have the ability to care for them. Some people are not fit to be parents. So by opposing prenatal tests for autism, you are doing some autistics a bad turn by allowing them to be born into families that will be so overwhelmed by the care needed that they will turn on the very souls that they are supposed to love and protect and cherish. I am positive that is not at all your intention ?

I am also addressing your accusations about me not wanting to improve the quality of autistic people's lives. Show me proof (not ASAN's propoganda about how autism is such a special snowflake) that "curing it" or remediating SIBs or SLI would entail "rewiring a brain" and changing an entire personality ?? And even if this waa the case, so what ? Would you rather that people continued to hurt themselves and be unable to live independent lives, in preference to not having their "personalities" changed ? Why is your personality more important than your ability to live a life devoid of aggression or communication or language impairments ?

The final strawman is attempting to prevent a cure in those who are far more severely impacted than you are and lacking even basic communication skills by insisting that they should make their own decisions (knowing perfectly well that they probably can't speak for themselves) ! ! This does NOT sound like something that anyone who actually wants to improve the quality of life of MFAs and LFAs would assert.

My point is this. Many MFAs and LFAs will never lead independent and autonomous lives due to the severity of their autism. Many - esp those living in countries without a strong social / government system in place - will be bankrupt, homeless and abandoned after their parents' lifetimes. Still others may undergo horrific abuses in overcrowded and understaffed "facilities" but may never be able to speak of their suffering or escape these places to live independent lives. For these people, everything that can be done to help them reach their potential must be done, even if it means rewiring their brains. Denying them a cure because a subset of those with mild autism living in benefits- rich countries complain that their personalities will change or that autistic children will be aborted is a travesty. No one wants to be abused, no one. Therefore, it is my opinion that LFAs and MFAs would want to reach their full potential and live fulfilling lives. If a cure is the only answer, then cure them. You can always personally refuse a cure ans personally produce all the autistic babies you want. No one will stop you, so please don't prevent those less able than you from accessing a better life for themselves. Or, how about you adopt a few MFAs and LFAs yourself and care for them for the rest of your lives ? Put your money where your mouth is, and all that jazz.

I'm not even going to bother to try to respond to all of this. You seem to be having a conversation with yourself which none of us are privy to. Once again, I have nothing to do with ASAN, have no idea what propaganda you are referring to and I'm not part of some conspiracy. Personally, I prefer to engage with the autistic community and try to understand the genetics and developmental psychology of autism, neither of which you seem to understand very well. Maybe if you were nicer to people, someone might explain it to you.

MoreThanThat

14 Apr 2016, 3:34 pm

DrHouseHasAspergers wrote:

Firstly, ASAN doesn't paint autism as rainbows, sunshine, and butterflies. It does make it a point that autism is not a terrible, end-of-the-world diagnosis and that having it does not make one a burden or suffering.

And they know this how ? How many MFAs or LFAs does Ari Ne'eman and his bandwagon of HFAs personally care for ??

Secondly, it would be a heck of a lot

more helpful to spend money on setting up support systems here and in other countries for autistics of all functioning levels rather than on some slim chance of finding a cure (if you ever do find a cure that can rewire someone's brain, let me know and we'll see if we can cure "NTism".) But in the meanwhile, what does trying to find a cure do to help autistics now?

If trying to find a cure is not a big deal then why are you so defensive about it ?? And why doesn't ASAN put its money where its mouth is and work on setting up that support system worldwide instead of wasting their time on their anti-cure propaganda ? If a rock solid support system is in place, the quest for a cure becomes superfluous. Priorities and all that good sruff., you know ?

As for curing NT-ism, gee, I wouldn't know. You are the doctor, you tell me.

Oh, BTW, are you sure I am an NT ?

And Lordfakename, if you cannot debate my position about the plight of autistics in not-so-first-world countries, then say so rather than attacking me personally. Ad hominem attacks don't seem to be carried our in "good faith", either.

This isn't just aboyt ASAN, this is about all anti-cure HFAs who seek to speak for all autistics

lordfakename
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Apr 2016, 4:08 pm

MoreThanThat wrote:

And they know this how ? How many MFAs or LFAs does Ari Ne'eman and his bandwagon of HFAs personally care for ??

more helpful to spend money on setting up support systems here and in other countries for autistics of all functioning levels rather than on some slim chance of finding a cure (if you ever do find a cure that can rewire someone's brain, let me know and we'll see if we can cure "NTism".) But in the meanwhile, what does trying to find a cure do to help autistics now?

If trying to find a cure is not a big deal then why are you so defensive about it ?? And why doesn't ASAN put its money where its mouth is and work on setting up that support system worldwide instead of wasting their time on their anti-cure propaganda ? If a rock solid support system is in place, the quest for a cure becomes superfluous. Priorities and all that good sruff., you know ?

And Lordfakename, if you cannot debate my position about the plight of autistics in not-so-first-world countries, then say so rather than attacking me personally. Ad hominem attacks don't seem to be carried our in "good faith", either.

This isn't just aboyt ASAN, this is about all anti-cure HFAs who seek to speak for all autistics

Is there any possibility of you changing your mind at the end of this?

MoreThanThat

14 Apr 2016, 4:30 pm

lordfakename wrote:
MoreThanThat wrote:

Is there any possibility of you changing your mind at the end of this?

End of this conversation about the cure for autism ? Of course, if you can tell me why some HFAs are anti-remediating the more negative aspects of severe autism, which is really my only concern. I am also disappointed that people will not attempt to talk about autistics living outside North America and Europe whose lives will be destroyed once their parents are gone, as many countries lack the ability to support them. You (and the good doctor) seem a lot more reasonable than some of the others, so, yes, I am willing to have a fact-based discussion with you about these issue.

lordfakename
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Apr 2016, 5:54 pm

MoreThanThat wrote:
End of this conversation about the cure for autism ? Of course, if you can tell me why some HFAs are anti-remediating the more negative aspects of severe autism, which is really my only concern. I am also disappointed that people will not attempt to talk about autistics living outside North America and Europe whose lives will be destroyed once their parents are gone, as many countries lack the ability to support them. You (and the good doctor) seem a lot more reasonable than some of the others, so, yes, I am willing to have a fact-based discussion with you about these issue.

What do you want me to debate? I am not a part of the ASAN. I acknowledge the negative aspects of autism. I think a cure should be a person's choice, or applied in their best interests if it can be shown they do not have the capacity to make such a choice. However, without knowing what form such a cure would take, we cannot make a decision about best interests. Any medical procedure, or pill, or whatever, has side effects. While a cure may be desirable in the abstract to some, without concrete information I am not sure what we can say beyond that. I acknowledge that autistics in third-world countries face enormous hardship. I would like to solve all these problems, but I fear that the medical care of the entire world is beyond my comprehension. In the meantime I will work to improve the lives of those I can.

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2016, 10:00 am

The following in an excerpt from Why the Tech Industry Needs More Autism that addresses the difference between so-called low-functioning and high-functioning variations of Autism :

Quote:
Low-functioning versus high-functioning Autism

Some people with Autism have successful careers and a normal family life while others barely manage to take care of themselves in any meaningful way. As such, Autists are typically put into one of two different categories, depending on how self-sufficient they are : Low-functioning an High-functioning Autists.

Low-functioning Autists usually have and underdeveloped Reptilian complex and/or Paleomammalian complex alongside an atypically developed Neomammalian complex. This means that they fail to have sufficient strengths to compensate for their weaknesses. When most people hear the word “Autism”, people usually think of Low-functioning Autists, however they’re far from representative of the Autistic community at large.

High-functioning Autists typically have not just a normally developed Reptilian complex and/or Paleomammalian complex but often even a superior Reptilian complex and/or Paleomammalian complex to compensate for the failure of the Neomammalian complex. That means that they are not just as good at dealing with certain problems as “Neurotypical” people, but actually far superior.

Genetics definitely play an important role in deciding whether an Autistic individual is Low-functioning or High-functioning. However, other factors play a role as well. For example, how you educate an Autistic child plays a far greater role in the development of that child’s brain functions, compared with a “Neurotypical” child.

Raising a child with Autism successfully is all about teaching that child how to think in patterns by feeding them information in the form of venn diagrams, line graphs, tabular data, tree structures or other visual patterns that help them see how everything is correlated. It’s all about teaching them to recognize similar patterns themselves by observing the world around them and comparing it to what they already know.

Algebra, programming logic, neuropsychology and sociology are fields of study that can help children even at an early age to move from basic pattern recognition to advanced pattern recognition and can help them integrate their pattern recognition skills in their daily life.

Think of a child with Autism as a robot born without instructions that you need to program yourself before it’s of any use. The more efficiently you and others program that little robot, the more likely it is you who will fall behind on your kid rather than the other way around. A lot depends on his processing speed and memory and by implementing efficient pattern recognition, you significantly reduce strain in these areas.

Some might consider it offensive to compare someone with Autism with a robot, yet it’s really not intended to be that way. Autism really is a lot more like the mind of a computer than the mind of a “Neurotypical” person and it really can be programmed in a myriad of ways, making the Autistic brain far more diverse, far more flexible but also far more volatile than that of “Neurotypical” people.

The worst thing you could do to an Autistic child, is feed it loads and loads of raw disconnected data; feed it a lot of data without structuring it or correlating it to previously taught data. The result thereof is that the mind becomes a maze of raw data scattered across one’s memory and remembering how to do even the simplest things becomes very difficult as there are no directions in the maze.

Nevertheless, it is important to understand that the distinction between Low-functioning and High-functioning is rather arbitrary and not always obvious to make. For example, some people with Autism remain mute for many years, yet still manage to develop normal language skills later on and even become successful engineers.

Source

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Apr 2016, 1:13 pm

aspiesavant wrote:
The following in an excerpt from Why the Tech Industry Needs More Autism that addresses the difference between so-called low-functioning and high-functioning variations of Autism :

Really interesting article - thanks for posting.

Given that the OP talked a lot about ASAN I had a look on their website to find out about them (I've not been aware of them before.) They didn't seem as bad as I was expecting. In fact most of their stuff seemed pretty reasonable to my mind.
Here are their what they call 'position statements'. I thought their ideas were actually quite interesting...

ASAN Position Statements

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)