Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 6:28 pm

In this BBC News article on the "robot revolution", after the heading "Welcome to the Machine", the second paragraph essentially says that robots are being designed and taught to be neurotypical. In other words, we won't be able to interact with robots, either.

What can we do about this? At the very least, I think we should seek to raise awareness among roboticists that not everyone communicates in this way.

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 6:50 pm

theWanderer wrote:
In this BBC News article on the "robot revolution", after the heading "Welcome to the Machine", the second paragraph essentially says that robots are being designed and taught to be neurotypical. In other words, we won't be able to interact with robots, either.

What can we do about this? At the very least, I think we should seek to raise awareness among roboticists that not everyone communicates in this way.

Some of us may reprogram them ourselves.

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 6:52 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:

:lol: :thumleft:

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 6:55 pm

theWanderer wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:

:lol: :thumleft:

yup. i think that this can be made a non issue easy.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 6:58 pm

theWanderer wrote:

You mean robots are being designed to be emotional, irrational, illogical and operate on instruction sets of double standards?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 6:59 pm

I already build and program robots.

The nice thing is that robots don't have to look remotely human.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

mercercles
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Oct 2011, 7:56 pm

We'll spread a virus over the 'net to make them all autistic. Just for a while. To build awareness.

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 8:02 pm

mercercles wrote:
We'll spread a virus over the 'net to make them all autistic. Just for a while. To build awareness.

:lol:

That sounds like a plan. :wink:

===================

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 3:39 am

i dont understand this.how are they going to program robots to be a certain way.by nuerotypical,what is meant by this.ther are so many different types of n.t's out there

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 8:47 am

vermontsavant wrote:
i dont understand this.how are they going to program robots to be a certain way.by nuerotypical,what is meant by this.ther are so many different types of n.t's out there

They're trying to program them to "read" body language, eye contact, all the things we are blind to, and to communicate in these ways as well.

===================

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 1:33 pm

theWanderer wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

They're trying to program them to "read" body language, eye contact, all the things we are blind to, and to communicate in these ways as well.

Good, maybe I can get a robot to teach me, then.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 2:15 pm

robots dont have the keen senses of an autistic.robots dont have a intense inner life.robots were never autistic in the first place.so we have not lost a monopoly on anything anyway.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 2:28 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
robots dont have the keen senses of an autistic.robots dont have a intense inner life.robots were never autistic in the first place.so we have not lost a monopoly on anything anyway.

A robot also isn't a human. It is unlikely to be rigid enough to be humanocentric even if it did exist.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 2:39 pm

Gedrene wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

A robot also isn't a human. It is unlikely to be rigid enough to be humanocentric even if it did exist.
true,i dont think a robot is autistic or n.t

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 2:44 pm

An autistic robot would certainly be something!
I do not trust robots in any case...

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 4:19 pm

The point is not that robots "are" either autistic or NT. Of course they are neither.

The point is that designers are planning to program robots to communicate in ways exclusive to NTs. That will be another segment of the world we are shut out from, because it was designed to exclude us. (I don't think the intent of this design is to exclude us, but that will be the practical effect.)

===================