Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 8:22 pm

This is the best autism media I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xumPgktA_Gg

Living in Fear - Why Autistic Life Can Be Terrifying
Autistamatic

Please watch and comment on your thoughts.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 11:52 pm

The most common autistic experience -- yet finding myself not relating to it. At all.

I don't even understand the experience of the basis of needing to mask in order to feel safe.
I know the theory and reasoning, I am able to imagine and see the patterns in the stories, but that's not how I lived my life so far.

I don't even fear said cliches unto me -- like everyone's reactions says more about them than about me.

I don't even fear the 'degradation' and 'exclusion', whether it's patronization or fearfulness -- because I know how to turn around the social implications against them. Apparently that's not a common thing even amongst NTs.

I don't even fear legal disclosure and rejection -- but really, I don't even mask. I don't fear being 'found out'.

I don't even fear the comparisons and ignorance -- if someone thought I wasn't autistic for 'having more emotion and not having social anxiety', I'd laugh at them.
And if something thought I'm not autistic for 'not being a savant or a nerd', then I'll laugh at them and call them ignorant.

I don't even keep autism a secret -- it's really none of their business.
And it's not like I have certain needs. Advantage or disadvantage, I don't fear it.

I don't need to mask in order to figure out how to 'vibe' and 'have team spirit';
And I don't think this is a common social skill at all. Not an everyday layperson NT level of interaction.

I understand transferences well -- that's how to take over a room and control a crowd to an extent, I just need better emotional regulation (in which I found my main problem with it has nothing to do with autism) and sustained wider scope of environmental awareness.

I barely have basic the fear of uncertainty -- it's not even something I experienced on a daily basis.
Maybe it's individual, maybe it's cultural. I don't know. I've yet to figure that one out.

Video can represent the reality of the majority of passing autistics.
:| Except me apparently. :lol: It means it's something I have to understand well if I ever had to be an advocate.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 12:07 am

I never masked either, apart from using social manners and trying to seem like a normal person at work. I didn't know I was autistic during my career but I knew for example that it wouldn't be polite to pull my shoes off and play with my feet stim in a professional setting. The part I relate to very hard is that I was always called out for being honest/blunt, for having consistent ethical standards, and for refusing to condone s**t behaviour in my classmates or coworkers. I still deal with that today. I don't fake smile etc and it really offends a lot of people. I'm one to speak up and defend myself just like he does. It's not always easy though.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 12:17 am

Thank you for Posting this Isabella ..... :D

where ever you go ,there you are

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 4:25 am

I’ve seen this person’s YouTube channel before, he’s very committed to the ND movement.

While I can relate to much of what he says and have experienced my share of discrimination due to autistic behaviour especially in the workplace.

I’ve actually been directly told once Im not getting the job because of that behaviour.

Yes autistic life can be terrifying but he avoids the elephant in the room that it’s the condition itself that makes it so.

He’s heavy on the SJ side referencing gays and black people who are autistic although ignores the fact that most gays and black people without autism have perfectly good lives here in the west, even those that don’t are usually not imprisoned by their brain.

He at least makes reference to the fact that he’s privileged but again ignores the elephant in the room which is the real reason he’s privileged is because he has a milder form of autism.

This milder form allows him to have a job, wife live a relatively normal life and run his own YouTube channel where he talks without much verbal impairment.

Such abilities denied to others with a more severe form of his condition

The mild form of a what can be a serious disabling condition he and others like him are against research to treat.

- George Bernie Shaw

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 8:58 am

Though I never knew I was on the spectrum so the few times people called me "Autistic" as an insult, it did not hurt because I never knew I was!

BUT the other aspects I knew too well! The being told off for things that everyone else should be doing when I was the one in the right. Was taken in the office because I followed company rules where everyone else did not, and I was told if I didn't break company rules I would get the sack for not being a "Team player". (My actual work was different to theirs as I specialized so the statement was puzzling). When I pointed out if I was sacked for actually complying with company rules, then if they sack me everyone elses job is gone especially the one sacking me, as I would take it further, then he backed down but I recieved loads of hidden bullying after that and was forced to work double the hours I was paid for until I handed in my notice after a breakdown.

But yes. Loads of occasions I was "In the wrong" for being right!

And yes, it does effect ones life to the point when one is scared to get to know people and wants to avoid people as one fears what can happen if people turn on you.

Once had a whole class start bullying me in college and I was about to plan my escape by jumping through a classroom window as without warning the whole class suddenly turned on me, and while I was standing on the desk trying to work out if I could jump onto the top of a tall tree near the classroom (Was a high up classroom with a road underneath it as lorries could drive through) and the lecturer came in and I was then told off for standing on the desk and everyone in the class pretended they were innocent. I still avoid being in buildings with lots of people in them unless I can be near a door to make a quick exit...
(I remember when I used to (in my 20's) attend a church and they gave me a deacons job (They cslled me a doorman as they didn't want it to be official) as I would only sit right at the back where the door was! It was funny because I asked what I was required to do. Open up the church, and put fresh water in the pulpit for the speaker, and make sure the flowers had water, and also then as people started coming in, shake their hands and hand out the hymnbooks. (I was also near the lightswitch so I was signalled from the front if they needed the lights off for the overhead projector to be used). Why it was funny is it was a newly built "Modern" church building as the old chapel was knocked down and someone I was in school with wanted me to attend, but the church wasn't ready until I was in my 20's, so it was a new church. And it had high windowsills with flowers in a vase on each windowsill as well as the flowers at the front, so I reached up and watered all the flowers. Now the church leader was also a builder by trade and he had built the church, but during the time I was there he had been on the roof and in the attics looking for the source of a damp problem which I thought nothing of because I didn't realize... A couple of years had passed and I commented to the deaconess (An elderly lady who has since passed away but she dien't look her age) and I said "There's long lasting these flowers are"...
She said "Their plastic".
"Are they?" I replied. "I've been watering them thre last two years! "
With that she laughed as she realized where the dampness had come from and said "Whatever you do, don't tell ++++ (The church leader) as he will not be amused!

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 06 Sep 2024, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 9:08 am

carlos55 wrote:
I’ve seen this person’s YouTube channel before, he’s very committed to the ND movement.

While I can relate to much of what he says and have experienced my share of discrimination due to autistic behaviour especially in the workplace.

I’ve actually been directly told once Im not getting the job because of that behaviour.

Yes autistic life can be terrifying but he avoids the elephant in the room that it’s the condition itself that makes it so.

He’s heavy on the SJ side referencing gays and black people who are autistic although ignores the fact that most gays and black people without autism have perfectly good lives here in the west, even those that don’t are usually not imprisoned by their brain.

He at least makes reference to the fact that he’s privileged but again ignores the elephant in the room which is the real reason he’s privileged is because he has a milder form of autism.

This milder form allows him to have a job, wife live a relatively normal life and run his own YouTube channel where he talks without much verbal impairment.

The mild form of a what can be a serious disabling condition he and others like him are against research to treat.

You’re discounting racism, bigotry and misogyny as additional problems for autistic people?

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 9:52 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

You’re discounting racism, bigotry and misogyny as additional problems for autistic people?

Additional yes

I’ve experienced my fair share really depends on functionality and the setting.

Most of my bad experiences came growing up and then in the workplace and it’s there no doubt.

But everything has to be put in perspective

Missing out on a job because I was “too shy” not the same as being chased out of town hated by my neighbours or hung from a tree.

Most NT are not really that bothered about autistic people in general their only concern is where it may effect them, ie their work team , or if they will be blamed for lack of understanding of someone’s condition hence the video where he criticises being talked to in simple language.

No doubt that telephone person was trained to use simple language if the other person has a cognitive condition and in another scenario would be criticised by another autistic person for not doing so.

So society can’t win what’s good for one is bad for another.

Talking about discrimination is ok up to a point but when they do so while promoting an organisation that’s against research or cure.

While omitting the elephant in the room of the condition itself.

Acknowledging he’s privileged but only because he’s white and straight not because of his mild symptoms another elephant in the room he omitted

- George Bernie Shaw

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 10:50 am

Autistic girls and women are at heightened risk of sexual abuse, exploitation, domestic violence and manipulation whether they and the other party/parties know their neurotype or not.

I don't think it's fair to suggest racial minorities, gay people, or trans people don't experience additional struggles being accepted worldwide, especially if they're autistic and lack access to diagnostics or family/cultural support.

You're right that he didn't specifically mention nonspeaking autistics but as a person with mutism I felt it was implicit and I was not offended.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 1:13 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Autistic girls and women are at heightened risk of sexual abuse, exploitation, domestic violence and manipulation whether they and the other party/parties know their neurotype or not.

I don't think it's fair to suggest racial minorities, gay people, or trans people don't experience additional struggles being accepted worldwide, especially if they're autistic and lack access to diagnostics or family/cultural support.

You're right that he didn't specifically mention nonspeaking autistics but as a person with mutism I felt it was implicit and I was not offended.

These crimes are as old as humanity itself autistic women are more at risk because of the autism itself making them more vulnerable than NT women because the disorder effects their ability to always understand danger or assert themselves verbally in those grey areas where an attack could be prevented.

In the same way a wilderbeast boots the attacking lion in the head and the lion calculates its best choose a different victim.

I’m waffling on a bit all I’m really saying some people choose to blame society or NT for everything blowing up discrimination out of proportion while ignoring the disabling aspects of autism itself.

That will only get so far. Society won’t change much and 99% will hardly change to suit the 1%.

A whole load of people get rich or spend their time with the enteral carrot of the “worlds going to change” while ignoring what’s really going on

- George Bernie Shaw

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 1:28 pm

carlos55 wrote:

These crimes are as old as humanity itself autistic women are more at risk because of the autism itself making them more vulnerable than NT women because the disorder effects their ability to always understand danger or assert themselves verbally in those grey areas where an attack could be prevented.

In the same way a wilderbeast boots the attacking lion in the head and the lion calculates its best choose a different victim.

I agree 100% and didn't suggest otherwise. Women in general experience higher rates of sexual abuse and IPV than men, but autism makes them even more vulnerable. I'm addressing this as one reason why it's terrifying to be an autistic woman, and to highlight the added danger of autism itself on women. I'm not saying I blame NTs necessarily, just that it's a fact of life which can literally kill us or our children.

Girls and women also have a more difficult time being diagnosed or being taken seriously when they require accommodations. We're often told we're crazy, labelled BPD, or put on medication to fix us. I'm not suggesting autistic women have it worse than autistic men but that intersectionality among any marginalized groups adds to the burden of our mental health and feelings of inclusion/safety.

I'm not of the belief that the world will change. Not at all. I'm a little too cynical for that at my age. I do however think it's important that the people who can speak up on behalf of other autistics should do so, even to help us feel heard and understood within our own communities. I'd never be able to appear on camera to support other NDs but I do as much as I can in my daily life by being a loudmouth here on WP, maintaining a blog, educating friends and family, and participating in government projects to address key problems in the lives of people who are autistic.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 2:03 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

I agree 100% and didn't suggest otherwise. Women in general experience higher rates of sexual abuse and IPV than men, but autism makes them even more vulnerable. I'm addressing this as one reason why it's terrifying to be an autistic woman, and to highlight the added danger of autism itself on women. I'm not saying I blame NTs necessarily, just that it's a fact of life which can literally kill us or our children.

Girls and women also have a more difficult time being diagnosed or being taken seriously when they require accommodations. We're often told we're crazy, labelled BPD, or put on medication to fix us. I'm not suggesting autistic women have it worse than autistic men but that intersectionality among any marginalized groups adds to the burden of our mental health and feelings of inclusion/safety.

I'm not of the belief that the world will change. Not at all. I'm a little too cynical for that at my age. I do however think it's important that the people who can speak up on behalf of other autistics should do so, even to help us feel heard and understood within our own communities. I'd never be able to appear on camera to support other NDs but I do as much as I can in my daily life by being a loudmouth here on WP, maintaining a blog, educating friends and family, and participating in government projects to address key problems in the lives of people who are autistic.

Agree and good on you by the way 8)

- George Bernie Shaw

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 6:05 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Though I never knew I was on the spectrum so the few times people called me "Autistic" as an insult, it did not hurt because I never knew I was!

BUT the other aspects I knew too well! The being told off for things that everyone else should be doing when I was the one in the right. Was taken in the office because I followed company rules where everyone else did not, and I was told if I didn't break company rules I would get the sack for not being a "Team player". (My actual work was different to theirs as I specialized so the statement was puzzling). When I pointed out if I was sacked for actually complying with company rules, then if they sack me everyone elses job is gone especially the one sacking me, as I would take it further, then he backed down but I recieved loads of hidden bullying after that and was forced to work double the hours I was paid for until I handed in my notice after a breakdown.

But yes. Loads of occasions I was "In the wrong" for being right!

And yes, it does effect ones life to the point when one is scared to get to know people and wants to avoid people as one fears what can happen if people turn on you.

Once had a whole class start bullying me in college and I was about to plan my escape by jumping through a classroom window as without warning the whole class suddenly turned on me, and while I was standing on the desk trying to work out if I could jump onto the top of a tall tree near the classroom (Was a high up classroom with a road underneath it as lorries could drive through) and the lecturer came in and I was then told off for standing on the desk and everyone in the class pretended they were innocent. I still avoid being in buildings with lots of people in them unless I can be near a door to make a quick exit...
(I remember when I used to (in my 20's) attend a church and they gave me a deacons job (They cslled me a doorman as they didn't want it to be official) as I would only sit right at the back where the door was! It was funny because I asked what I was required to do. Open up the church, and put fresh water in the pulpit for the speaker, and make sure the flowers had water, and also then as people started coming in, shake their hands and hand out the hymnbooks. (I was also near the lightswitch so I was signalled from the front if they needed the lights off for the overhead projector to be used). Why it was funny is it was a newly built "Modern" church building as the old chapel was knocked down and someone I was in school with wanted me to attend, but the church wasn't ready until I was in my 20's, so it was a new church. And it had high windowsills with flowers in a vase on each windowsill as well as the flowers at the front, so I reached up and watered all the flowers. Now the church leader was also a builder by trade and he had built the church, but during the time I was there he had been on the roof and in the attics looking for the source of a damp problem which I thought nothing of because I didn't realize... A couple of years had passed and I commented to the deaconess (An elderly lady who has since passed away but she dien't look her age) and I said "There's long lasting these flowers are"...
She said "Their plastic".
"Are they?" I replied. "I've been watering them thre last two years! "
With that she laughed as she realized where the dampness had come from and said "Whatever you do, don't tell ++++ (The church leader) as he will not be amused!

Lolololzz. ,, gunny storyabout that church,, thank you for sharing.. :D

where ever you go ,there you are

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 6:30 pm

for much of my life i did not have the clue that i should be terrified, it was more like "deer in the headlights" paralysis.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 6:33 pm

auntblabby wrote:
for much of my life i did not have the clue that i should be terrified, it was more like "deer in the headlights" paralysis.

Fear and anxiety have been my default emotions as long as I can remember.
It wasn't so much about social stuff because I just avoided that.
I was always afraid of sensory overwhelm, having meltdowns, and not understanding myself.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 7:10 pm

perhaps i was not aware that i had sensory limits that were disabling should they be breached. or mebbe lucky that it did not get that far?